NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Dog-amoto

Batman: Arkham Origins

What version are you playing?!?! I played the 360 version and yes, while I did notice some notable drops in frame rate, it never approached anywhere near THAT bad. It was far from unplayable.

However, being bored to death by it all is a different matter entirely.

PS3 version. @Ashley was witness to just how bad it got. I've only just started and the frame rate only plummeted in the open world bit after taking out the first tower and on my way to interrogate Penguin. It's been fine in the smaller environments and the challenge rooms.

I'll give it another go because frame rates don't actually bother me that much (I remember when the frame rate on Link's Awakening dropped on the original Gameboy version and I thought it looked cool) but this was incredibly bad. I could count the frames.

Did you find the game boring? I think it's started off pretty well, and the premise is great.

I've just finished this game this evening, having bought it and the season pass a couple of weeks back on Steam in the sale, and a couple of issues aside, I really enjoyed it. I only encountered one bug that forced me to have restart a section (I got stuck on a ladder) and whilst initially experiencing some quite bad stutter in gameplay, and slow down in the prerendered cutscenese, enabling D3D10 over 11 returned my frame rate to a constant magic 60 like in the previous games.

Initially I was a bit disappointed as it didn't feel very new and after a good opening, once in the city, it felt lacking in atmosphere. It's supposed to feel abandoned and on lockdown but it just felt void and empty. It was odd too that old Arkham felt smaller than Arkham city despite being the same map. The ample snow too makes everything lighter and it seems wrong at first but I soon got used to it.

But the more I played, the more I enjoyed it and became quite hooked. The story was certainly more interesting than the others - especially City where a lot of the villians just felt thrown in for the sake of it and never had the chance to be explored. Didn't really mind the different voice actors either who were a little different, but not really any worse for it - especially Troy Baker who brings a sinister vibe to a more serious take on the Joker than the other Arkham games. And for all the complaints I read about the altered combat timings, it never proved an issue.

Only got a dozen or so Enigma data packs to find and the last side mission to do, it opens post game, and the challenge maps too if I feel like it.

I'd been put off buying the game because of the complaints about it being a retread and buggy to hell but I've had a really enjoyable experience out of it all in the end.

Looking forward to the Cold Cold Heart DLC now.

Finished the Story DLC today and it wasn't bad but not much takes place in new locations. It starts well enough in Wayne Manor but after that, there is only one new place to explore and it isn't even that big really - certainly doesn't feel as big as Steel Mill place in the Arkham City DLC. You're limited to two sections of the Southern half of the map, walls of ice and strong winds hold you back, and you don't get the special suit until about half way through. There are three sidemission, which offer upgrades upon completion, to do but two are just repeated from the main campaign. Still any excuse to glide about the city and punch thugs in the face is fine with me. Had a couple of glitches but one I was able to just carry on anyway and it corrected itself and the other made me restart a challenge room - nothing major like some of the things I saw on the Steam forum.

I just finished this yesterday. I really enjoyed it, the story was just far better than that in AC and even AA. The only complaint I have is that Deathstroke appeared too early in the story and was defeated too easily whereas the likes of Firefly and Copperhead had bigger roles. I find that disappointing because Deathstroke is really far more interesting as a character than the other two.

I don't think I had any problems with the combat timing alterations but I might have had - I just put anything down to my own skills. :)

Still need to do some of the side quests but I don't want to go find all the RIddler Datapacks this time around. Now I'll move on to Bayonetta 1 on WiiU. Really looking forward to that.

Sign in to follow this