NEurope
david.dakota

Wii U to miss out on 15 EA developed titles

Now look at how that contradicts their statements over their recent business shake-up:

Ignoring the money part (business shake up) that is still saying "since Frostbyte 3 won't run on Wii U" which doesn't make sense technolgically...seems the issue (with FB3) is more EA can't do a simple "copy and paste" and don't want to do any extra work to make it run properly on Wii U

That quote is such unadulterated bullshit. It can't run Frostbite 2, but PS360 can? Piss off :mad:

EA simply didn't want it to happen. End of.

Call me paranoid of skeptical, but I'm most inclined to agree with your point of view on this one. This is a snub, sure it might be fuelled by financial reasons too, but I think it's got more on top.

Surely Nintendo could reach out and try to aid porting the engine, right? They've got money for resources, no? Doubt it'd be taken up, or possibly offered, anyway. There's a couple big hits in that list though, I'd consider Dragon Age(never played the others admittedly), and I can see BF4, ME4, N4S2013 and the Star wars games probably selling.

What is really stupid (and follows EA's history perfectly) is that EA did create new IP's for Wii but then diluted them with dire sequels (for the most part - look at http://www.ea.com/uk/wii#7 ) and now they have totally abandoned these games to go back to their safer franchises.

They could have built a great new portfolio for a different audience building the quality of such titles - but instead went for the quick money. This shows that without their brand games like FIFA, they would be in dire straights.

Nintendo should have been a great home for more Boom Blox, MySims, board games and sports games like Tiger Woods and Grand Slam Tennis. And Nintendo should have made a play for those games on Wii U as well and supported EA in pushing those games like they did when the Motion Plus launched. Purely as such games are associated with the Wii brand. Unfortunately we are getting the leftovers of other systems titles (or no games at all in the future) which just dilutes the perception (and quality) of the Wii U itself.

Nintendo and EA have jointly screwed up here. It's definitely an unprecedented partnership. Albeit one that shows how 2 huge businesses failed to work together to bring any benefit to themselves and customers who are actually keen to throw money at them both.

Surely Nintendo could reach out and try to aid porting the engine, right? [...]

That would be an unprescedented partnership...Nintendo set up a small team to just work on porting third party games to Wii U with their added nous. I can dream... :love:

Edited by tapedeck

I think Nintendo ballsed up with the GamePad quite frankly.

If they'd carried on with the Wiimote chances are we would be seeing sequels to more Wii games.

Developers don't want to keep putting a separate team on learning about this new peripheral all the time and handling GamePad development separately. Times are tough, hence why third parties are largely playing it safe atm with their games.

Sigh I do agree the whole controller situation is one big mess. You need a gamepad, a classic pro controller for the WiiU, but at the same time it also uses wii remotes, wii motion plus remotes with or without nunchuck. And if that isn't enough there is still the classic controller and the classic controller pro for the wii that doesn't work with Wii U games, but still works in Wii mode. And oh yeah there is also the Wii balance board haha.

They can't reallly expect people to have all of those? They cost alot of money, and I can see how it would be confusing for devellopers. You can't make control shemes for a secondary controller and leave the gamepad out I guess, because not every body has the new classic controller? So every game has to be gamepad compatible.

And not even one of those controllers have analogue shoulder buttons...

That isn't an excuse for the lack of third party titles, but I'm convinced that it only makes the development process harder. The Wii U tries to be unique and classic at the same time.

Edited by M_rock

Def agree with Retro and M_rock, the controllers are quite messy. To not use gamepad is to snub the Wii U somewhat, and Nintendo won't like that I imagine - but it doesn't HAVE to be used as a gamepad; why not just a standard controller? Chuck in off-screen functionality too. It just limits making something that exclusively uses wiimotes, I guess. That's essentially Retro's point though, and a very good one.

I'd agree it's poor play on both parts, they're gonna mug themselves both over for whatever reason there's animosity between them - however I think it could be Nintendo who suffer more in this one. I don't hold much hope of them finding a solution to this though.

Personally I'd forgotten boom blox was EA, they're absolute gems of games; wish I knew where my copy of bash party was!!