NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Retro_Link

Wolfenstein: The New Order

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/05/07/bethesda-announces-wolfenstein-the-new-order

Bethesda Announces Wolfenstein: The New Order

"Our team is driven to create an unforgettable action-adventure experience that will make FPS fans proud,” says Creative Director.

The game is pitched as a "reimagining" of the long-running franchise. It is still is an "action-adventure shooter" and will be coming to Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, PC, and next generation consoles sometime in Q4 2013.

The game is being developed by MachineGames, the studio founded by individuals who had previously worked and helped found Starbreeze Studios, the developer behind The Darkness.

“We are excited to bring a new chapter of Wolfenstein to gamers everywhere,” said creative director at MachineGames Jens Matthies. “As fans of the series, working on this game is an honor, and our team is driven to create an unforgettable action-adventure experience that will make FPS fans proud.”

More details will be revealed in the coming days.

I don't think we have to worry about the next gen getting off to a slow start.

Release date has been announced: 20th May 2014

Also here's a new trailer:

Some (bland) box art too:

wolfenstein-new-order-box-art.jpg

Game looks cheesy as fuck - I approve!

Box looks like a Killzone prequel.

This looks like the kind of dumb fun I could potentially get behind. The sort of game I can play with a half-and-half gin & tonic in hand.

A friend of mine played this at Gamescom, and he says what he played was really good. He described it as a really weird mix of traditional Wolfenstein, with a lot of characterisation and plot. I'm sold on that premise alone, and it does look like a good laugh. :grin:

Plus Doom beta access has me intrigued...

The one thing this has to do for me is to not have iron sights. If any gun other than the one obligatory sniper section has iron sights it's no sale.

I'm genuinely very excited for this game. Whoever up there (can't be bothered to double check) said that it looks like Killzone... yes, because The Third Reich made its aesthetic choices based on a mediocre FPS franchise.

It's also being made by Machine Games, which was formed by all the heads of Starbreeze, (I have Magnus Hogdahl specifically in mind, who a lot of people call Sweden's John Carmack) and who made two of my favourite games of the last generation (Escape From Butcher Bay and The Darkness), and in addition, everything I hear has sounded incredibly positive.

Anyway, being a Starbreeze game in spirit, you can at the very least guarantee that it'll be well written and artistically well put together; two firsts for the Wolfenstein franchise.

Also, the boxart looks great.

It's also being made by Machine Games, which was formed by all the heads of Starbreeze, (I have Magnus Hogdahl specifically in mind, who a lot of people call Sweden's John Carmack) and who made two of my favourite games of the last generation (Escape From Butcher Bay and The Darkness), and in addition, everything I hear has sounded incredibly positive.

Anyway, being a Starbreeze game in spirit, you can at the very least guarantee that it'll be well written and artistically well put together; two firsts for the Wolfenstein franchise.

Waitwaitwait.... this studios formed by the ex-Starbreeze leads?

.....*Pre-orders.*

EDIT: Actually, I should be getting my PS4 next Tuesday. I think I'll buy this with it too. :grin:

Hmmm sounds a bit patchy.

Wolfenstein: The New Order will ship with a huge 5GB day one patch on PlayStation 4 and an even bigger 7.3GB patch on Xbox One, according to reports on Twitter.

I think mostly the fact that it's not out until the 20th and like literally every other game AAA game there are review embargoes until release day.

I've been playing Wolfenstein on the PS4.

This is the first FPS to ever give me motion sickness. I had to keep taking breaks, I'm hoping I get used to it. Something about how shakey it gets and the FOV not being right to me. So it joins Dead Rising 1 and Nights on the list of games that make me wanna puke.

Visually the game isn't anything special but it has great atmosphere and surprisingly good story and characters. Its really good, my one complaint though is the gun sounds, no oomf to them at all. Nice solid 60fps as well which is nice.

The cool thing with the gun sounds is that they seem to vary depending on the spaciousness of the room you're in, but yeah, they sound a little underpowered on their own - they sounds fucking fiendish when dual wielded.

Got this for my PS4 yesterday.

I thought it started off a bit slow, but once I got into it, I found it huge fun. I love how gloriously over-the-top it all is. Akimbo weapons are brutal!

Do agree the gun sounds are a tad weak though...

Just finished it, shit last boss but the game is great. A solid 8/10.

Not a single weapon in the game had any oomf to it despite them being pretty damn powerful. Loved the story and characters.

I have lots to say about this, but mostly that I enjoyed it greatly. I'll wait until I've completed it a second time, playing through the second timeline before I say anything, but yes; it's one of the most satisfying shooters I've played for a while, and it's totally upfront about the fact that its combination of outlandish brutality and genuinely emotive story would seem a jarring juxtaposition if it didn't present itself as completely bizarre in every element of its design as it is. It also has the best Scotsman I've ever come across in a videogame. That dialogue puts Malcolm from The Thick of It to shame.

It also has the best Scotsman I've ever come across in a videogame. That dialogue puts Malcolm from The Thick of It to shame.

Well you've officially 'sold' the game to me now! : peace:

I was already considering picking it up but now I know I have to get it at some point. :D

I've just completed this myself, and I have to say, I loved it! I admit, it felt incredibly clunky at first, and I found some sections overly difficult, but those were the only drawbacks.

The story was quite decent, but the world and characters were brilliant. There were plenty of memorable moments packed in there. The gunplay was definitely superb too, the weapons themselves were great fun to use (although I did stick with the Assault Rifle for the most part, and I found the Marksman Rifle crap, until the upgrade later on in the game.)

Overall, a solid 8/10 from me too. I'll certainly be playing this through again at some point (but Watch Dogs will no doubt consume my life for the next few weeks at least, so no idea when.)

Oh, and something about the ending that bugs me...

It did end very abruptly, and whilst the whole Deathshead storyline was finally bought to a close, I can't help but feel there's still more to be resolved. What about the remaining Nazis? What about Frau Engel? Most importantly, does B.J Blazkowicz really die?!

With the latter, there's the helicopter sounds at the end of the credits, so I assume the resistance pick him up before nuking Deathshead's stronghold. It's at least implied anyway. I really hope there is a sequel where you're taking on Frau Engel, as the remaining Nazis put up one last fight to hold on to what power they have left.

Just started this today, had the urge to carry on shooting stuff after the Destiny Beta and this hasn't disappointed! Good story and characters so far (will definitely play the other timeline) and the gunplay is awesome, duel wielding and head shots feel great! Can't wait to play more.

ids6cO5EJVONC.gif

Borrowed it from a mate. Can't wait to play it on Friday :)

I take it, I'm in for a hell of a ride? :yay:

Bit of a thread bump...finally completed this on Friday...what a brilliant game.

It took a while for me to get into it (it took a month after borrowing it from my boss to finally install and play it) but what a journey, great story, well rounded characters, tight gameplay with a nice selection of options of how to approach each mission/scenario, and a brilliant lead character in Blazko.

Also my favourite line ever in a video game:

"Don't fuck this up, you magnificent cunt!"

Recommend this to anyone and everyone who likes a story driven adventure!

Bought this today for PS4 after finding it for just £20. If I don't like it I will head over to Gamestop and hopefully trade it in for Tomb Raider at no extra cost.

Sign in to follow this