NEurope
Retro_Link

Shadow of the Eternals ('Eternal Darkness 2' - Kickstarter)

I wonder if this game will ever see light of day on any system.

Too Human started off on the PS1>GameCube>Xbox360>Destroy all remaining unsold games and that taints this game directly/indirectly. Could this game be another 'sadness', no surely not.

Interesting to learn about this game but I might give it a miss. Don't like that this is a digital download only either. If I remember rightly Nintendo still own rights to the sanity meter (as others have mentioned) so they need to deal with them if they want to it be more like ED.

Edited by sumo73

Apparently they've started a Kickstarter now?

This is so confusing.

Yeah, wanted to post it earlier, but couldn’t find the thread (and could not be arsed to search).

The previous campaign didn’t seem like a huge success, which was perhaps the reason they decided to switch to something more comfortable, but the Kickstarter seems to be doing even worse.

I’m still willing to give them the benefit of the doubt, and if budget allows, then I may still pledge, but I’m going to be honest, I don’t have high hopes for this one.

Ess than a minute there... he mentioned Kickstarter.... but they aren't using Kickstarter for this aren't they or did that change?

I've not watched past that now

edit - So i watched the video a few posts above mine and now i dont know what to believe, he seems sincere enough and Kotaku are not exactly known for their journalistic integrity, but i read about the story on Giantbomb and i cant imagine they just reprinted the same thing. How does everyone else feel?

Edited by Kagato
Research

Just watched that 9 minute video. I loved it. Had Eternal Darkness all over it. Since the Tome was all over the place and Pious was fucking around throughout time there could be hundreds of people over the years who have come across the book for various reasons. Perhaps this may be one of those "helping" games where stuff you did in this game had an effect on the first and vice versa.

But I'd need something a bit more than potential sexiness to obtain monies from me.

So my curiosity got the better of me, I couldn’t let this lie as it was, the video of Denis and his team going through the questions and answering them in the way he did left me wondering just who these sources are, who Kotaku had hired to write the story and more importantly, what was the state of the game right now. I spent all of Friday and Saturday looking around and came up with the following, now this is only my opinion and I encourage everyone to look at this case and decide on your own as I did because this is one of those really shady situations.

First off, I read the Kotaku article again with a view to try and make some sense and see some proof of the claims made against SK, Denis and Precursor games. Unfortunately I couldn’t find a damn thing, the source was never named and after giving this interview has completely vanished off the face of the earth. Denis has been brought in after the fact, the new developer was around already before he joined the team and regardless of the accusations, he is not in a place to make any kind of financial decisions anyway so the fear of "Denis is in charge, he’s going to steal my money" is completely unfounded.

I then spurred on about something Denis said in the video about other sites turning down the news story had a look and could confirm that at least two sites didn’t want to touch the story because most of it was conjecture and either difficult or impossible to prove since 1. There was no proof and 2. The so called witness refused to reveal who he was. I then read a follow up on Kotaku by Stephen Totilo which although not completely debunking the original story did say at the end that everyone should look at this themselves before deciding what they think of the situation. Is it just me or if he really believed the story would he not just have straight up said I stand by the story" instead of asking us to make up our own mind? It strikes me that either he has no faith in the article or like me he can’t find anything concrete to use to support it and is treating as it should be treated, as sensationalist journalism.

I wanted to see exactly what the game was about so i joined the forums, put in some time reading the posts of concerned backers, reading the dev diaries and watching the videos and there isn’t a single thing there that says to me that they have any intention of not making this game as good as it can be. They have since reached out to various members of the press including Kotaku and Reddit to try and put some constructive information out there, they have as far as I can tell, been very transparent about what the money will be used for and they already have a cross section of the game running on the Cryengine3 which is looking really good even at this early stage. They are also heading out to E3 to put the game out there, let people see it and it’s my hope, to reconnect with gamers and put their case to them directly.

I feel like a bit of an ass because I read the whole kotaku republished on another site and straight away (well after the whole Epic thing) was willing to believe the worst, but when you actually examine the evidence and claims under the microscope there is nothing of any substance to it. Had I known at the time that it was actually Kotaku who let’s face it, has become the internet equivalent of the Sun newspaper, I would have been way less likely to believe it. This is confounded by the fact that they are now being investigated for publishing stories like this very one and despite having their own journalistic integrity questioned have still managed to put the development of this game in a pretty dire situation.

Full disclosure, around 3am on Saturday morning I decided that I had read enough and decided I would put some money into the game, I would be remiss not to at this point when my own investigation has turned up no good reason not to. In a world where one bad game can sink a company I think this is literally the case for SK, the X Men game they created was pretty bad and now it’s being used as ammunition against them despite having a string of great games (Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain, Eternal Darkness, Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes) and one fun if flawed game (Too Human) and only one really bad game that they themselves admit they didn’t want to release.

I’m not saying take my word for it (though if you do thanks, that’s a lot of faith) but if you are looking at this game and wondering if you should help fund it or not, don’t sit on the fence, judge them by the games they have made already, consider carefully if you trust they can do what they are setting out to do and either put the money in or if you still have doubts don’t. The team making this are all very talented and have years of experience in making fun games, they have some terrific writers and i personally think it would be a shame to see this game not arrive on WiiU because of what amounts to slander.

I've just popped a $50 pledge down, doesn't look like they'll reach the target which seems a bit of a shame. I guess some gamers are more than happy to believe the Kotaku article and have stayed away from what looks like a very promising title. Hopefully Nintendo will step in and fund it, the Wii U could definitely do with a few more big titles to look forward to in 2014.

Kotaku article

Or the entire Epic Games incident, or taking so long to deliver a game which turned out to be terrible, and following it up with an awful licensed game?

I'd rather put my nuts in a vice than give money to this project.

Does anyone know if there's a way to give money to this project without a creditcard?

Does anyone know if there's a way to give money to this project without a creditcard?

They currently only have Kickstarter (via Amazon payments) and Paypal as options which both require cards to be used, Paypal can be direct funded through a bank account but i still think they need a card to be attached before they let you do that.

I guess i just want a new Eternal Darkness game enough to give them the chance to prove themselves, they have completely locked down what the funds are to be used for and i believe its honest of them to come out with the actual figure they need rather than try for a lower amount knowing they couldnt deliver on it.

Although i wasnt a huge fan of Too Human it was hardly the train wreck everyone makes it out to be, sure for a game that was in production since the N64 it should have been way better, but it wasnt awful and i was really interested to see what the next two parts of the trilogy would being though now i guess we will never know.

X-Men....that was just plain bad, there is no defence for that game, it was a disaster, but they have made some great games, more hits than misses so that was enough for me to back it. I hope it gets funded and created not so i can have bragging rights, but because i really want this game on WiiU and after seeing the trailer and gameplay footage i cant see how it can be anything other than great. They are right now prepping a playable demo for E3 so if any of our awesome site staff are going it might be worth checking it out since my E3s are sadly spent in front of the PC at home T-T

Not to be negative, but the idea that this will have a happy ending is just fantasy. Silicon Knights essentially destroyed themselves and any reputation they had with shoddy games and poor business practices. I wouldn't back this horse at all, especially after knowing what they did with Activision's money.

These people are out of business for a very good reason!

They are right now prepping a playable demo for E3 so if any of our awesome site staff are going it might be worth checking it out since my E3s are sadly spent in front of the PC at home T-T

A playable demo that will be interesting indeed.

Considering what they have shown so far is a level that is a carbon copy of a level in the first game and that they say they will have the Sanity Effects and all, considering Nintendo own the copy right for all of that if that does appear in playable form I imagine lawyers will be let loose :heh:

If Precursor had a viable product that could go to on to become a finished game surely their first port of call would be to pitch it to Nintendo so they could get the rights to make an actual Eternal Darkness 2.

So either they did that and Nintendo said no to them (which should indicate if Nintendo wouldn't have fate in them putting out a decent game...or finished game, why should gamers?)

Or they didn't even bother to pitch it to Nintendo and are just hoping they can get away with reusing assests and features from the first game even though they don't have a license to do so which would make me feel even less confident that they will churn out something good...if at all .

And I would love it if Nintendo at E3 went and announced a real ED2 made by one of their 2nd parties just to put a final nail in teh coffin of this Shadow of teh Eternals.

If that doesn't happen I envision Shadow of the Eternals being this generations "Sadness" :heh:

A playable demo that will be interesting indeed.

Considering what they have shown so far is a level that is a carbon copy of a level in the first game and that they say they will have the Sanity Effects and all, considering Nintendo own the copy right for all of that if that does appear in playable form I imagine lawyers will be let loose :heh:

If Precursor had a viable product that could go to on to become a finished game surely their first port of call would be to pitch it to Nintendo so they could get the rights to make an actual Eternal Darkness 2.

So either they did that and Nintendo said no to them (which should indicate if Nintendo wouldn't have fate in them putting out a decent game...or finished game, why should gamers?)

Or they didn't even bother to pitch it to Nintendo and are just hoping they can get away with reusing assests and features from the first game even though they don't have a license to do so which would make me feel even less confident that they will churn out something good...if at all .

And I would love it if Nintendo at E3 went and announced a real ED2 made by one of their 2nd parties just to put a final nail in teh coffin of this Shadow of teh Eternals.

If that doesn't happen I envision Shadow of the Eternals being this generations "Sadness" :heh:

From what i understand the Sanity effect itself cant be copyrighted (see Batman Arkham City for a good example of this) but the sanity meter has been. They have created a new way of measuring this which they will show off at E3.

They have decided to take down the current crowd funding schemes, refund all of the money (even the early adopters) and retool the whole thing after E3. Im really curious to see what they come up with, they have reached out to many of the big news outlets, they are eager for people to talk to them about the game and to let them play it so that shows a great deal of confidence in the product.

Ill be keeping a close eye on this, i know a lot of you are skeptical so for those who just want the highlights ill post them here. This E3 just got a whole lot more interesting.

Hmm, that's really interesting that they've decided to postpone the Crowdfunding and Kickstarter accounts. Is it definitely to retool it after E3? It seems odd that the would do this after E3. I'm with shin_kagato that E3 should be particular interesting for 'Shadow of the Eternals'. I loved 'Eternal Darkness' and would love to see a follow-up regardless of what happened in the past with the development team. Is there any chance the Crowdfunding efforts have been stopped because a publisher has stepped in? Would anyone trust them?

Hmm, that's really interesting that they've decided to postpone the Crowdfunding and Kickstarter accounts. Is it definitely to retool it after E3? It seems odd that the would do this after E3. I'm with shin_kagato that E3 should be particular interesting for 'Shadow of the Eternals'. I loved 'Eternal Darkness' and would love to see a follow-up regardless of what happened in the past with the development team. Is there any chance the Crowdfunding efforts have been stopped because a publisher has stepped in? Would anyone trust them?

They are teasing some big reveal for the start of the new campaign, purely speculation at this point but people think there may be some backer willing to step in with a sizeable donation but until they officially announce it we wont know for sure. What we do know is they are reloading the whole thing, getting it all done in one place (kickstarter) to avoid any confusion and they are going to have a whole lot of press people playing the game and reporting in on what they think for better or worse.

Im just mega interested to see what comes out of all of this, ill keep everyone posted on any updates and of course if you want to have a look for yourself they do have a forum that is updated with podcasts etc at least twice a week (though often more).

Gamestrailers just put up a short interview with Paul and Denis explaining the games premise and community interaction that will feature in the game

http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/jgf7yb/shadow-of-the-eternals-e3-2013--out-of-the-darkness-interview

edit - sorry guys, im really bad at posting videos that play from the site, i've put in a working link that takes you directly to the page

Edited by Kagato

http://www.shacknews.com/article/79561/weekend-confirmed-168-the-last-of-us-shadow-of-the

I think everyone needs to listen to this. Dyack comes across as I real prick. Comparing Eternal Darkness to Game of Thrones and implying that it influenced the game. Like really how is that a relevant reference considering when the game was made? (I don't even know when the first book was written.

Also gives absolute bullshit reasons for leaving Silicon Knights and joining Precursor. Claiming it's because he couldn't interact with the community. This is from the guy whose forums were well populated and he did spend time on there until during Xmen Destiny's development and then they suddenly stopped answering fans questions.

He came across as very arrogant still and having another guy with him only helped that. They gave him a way too easy ride.

Well the book first realsed in 1996 but still to claim it influenced Eternal Darkness is nonsense. There is nothing about the game remotely like the book. He just mentioning it cause it is popular now cause of the TV show. Such a horrid attempt at leeching. How come we've never heard about EDs connection to Game of Thrones ever before?

http://www.shacknews.com/article/79561/weekend-confirmed-168-the-last-of-us-shadow-of-the

I think everyone needs to listen to this. Dyack comes across as I real prick. Comparing Eternal Darkness to Game of Thrones and implying that it influenced the game. Like really how is that a relevant reference considering when the game was made? (I don't even know when the first book was written.

Also gives absolute bullshit reasons for leaving Silicon Knights and joining Precursor. Claiming it's because he couldn't interact with the community. This is from the guy whose forums were well populated and he did spend time on there until during Xmen Destiny's development and then they suddenly stopped answering fans questions.

He came across as very arrogant still and having another guy with him only helped that. They gave him a way too easy ride.

What you take as arrogance i take as him being super passionite about the game he is working on and honestly, if he wasnt so into making the game i wouldnt even be interested. Regardless of his original intentions with the community, he has posted at least once a day on there since it went up and he has been on the majority of the podcasts too.

The game of thrones thing...well i dont know, maybe he did read the book, its certainly been out long enough but i certainly cant see the links myself, maybe as Mokong said he has just found something modern to link back to the games that he thinks people will identify with.

Im still on board with the game, Precursor recently did a podcast with one of the community members i talk to on a fairly regular basis so they certainly seem to be trying to involve the community as much as possible.

What you take as arrogance i take as him being super passionite about the game he is working on and honestly, if he wasnt so into making the game i wouldnt even be interested. Regardless of his original intentions with the community, he has posted at least once a day on there since it went up and he has been on the majority of the podcasts too.

The game of thrones thing...well i dont know, maybe he did read the book, its certainly been out long enough but i certainly cant see the links myself, maybe as Mokong said he has just found something modern to link back to the games that he thinks people will identify with.

Im still on board with the game, Precursor recently did a podcast with one of the community members i talk to on a fairly regular basis so they certainly seem to be trying to involve the community as much as possible.

All things he did before Too Human and look what happened there....it was a critical dud, it didn't sell and played a major role in the lawsuit that caused Silicon Knights demise. Something he seemingly just brushed aside. I'm not with them any more as far as I know they are working on getting that court decision overturned. As the studio head at the time he has a lot of the responsibility to take and seems unwilling to accept it.

I just think so much bullshit came out of his mouth...like now we are indie we can develop our own engine, bullshit you could have done that prior. Now we are indie we are source community ideas, bullshit your jumping on the indie bandwagon to help fund a project, if you had chosen to source community ideas you could have done. It's just like you said about the Game of Thrones thing it's something to jump aboard, the way he said it implied that one or the other inspired each other which is just a load of crock. To me it all comes across as disingenuous.

He is a crook plain and simple. They took millions of tax payers money in investment from the Ontario Government over two years (around $7 million) and that's just seemingly gone presumably it got spent on a lawsuit they lost.