NEurope
-Dem0-

"Violence and guns in best-selling video games"

"Research into connections between gun violence and video games to violence in real life has been inconclusive. As the hype for the latest in the Grand Theft Auto series builds up, a Guardian analysis of the top 50 video games sold in 2012 found more than half contain violent content labels, as assigned by an independent video game rating board based in the US (ESRB). Overall, one-third have weapons that depict real-life firearms"

Interesting article. They're showing the increase in 'violent' video games and trying to find a connection between that and violence in real life. I just find it a bit silly to include non violent games such as Animal Crossing solely on the grounds of 'Comic Mischief'.

Using the ESRB rating alone isn't enough.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/interactive/2013/apr/30/violence-guns-best-selling-video-games

I find it hilarious all this, they make out as if we were a eutopia before the advent of video games, or perhaps they think neanderthals invented them and video games were the route cause of all the major wars......Hitler was obviously a gamer

Humans are violent, thing humans like and then loose at or loose make them violent, you could study the same thing with puppies;

give someone a puppy then take it away and say they can't have it, people will be violent

its human nature, video games don't make people violent, people are naturally violent and every external influence has the potential to influence them negatively, Video Games are the new Art-deco, the new renascence, the political movement, the new music, the rock and roll, the movies etc etc the list goes on for the list of things people will blame violence on when completely missing the point that humans are violent

NEWSFLASH

Someone tries to make link between violent video games and violence in real life.

Wouldnt surpise me if the Daily Mail reports that someone played GTA 8 hours straight then got in a car amd proceeded to run someone over.

So:

- Violence in video game is at an all-time high.

- Violence in real life is at an all-time low.

Obviously, this means that there there is likely little link. It's possible that a couple of people may be violent because of video game, but there's no way to know if previous "evil media" would have the exact same influence. It's also obvious that some violent people play violent video games - on top of that, some of these violent people could be satisfied by the games.

However, you could easily use statistics to "prove" that video games stop violence.

But the newspapers always take the stance that violent video games influence children. Who the fuck lets their children play violent video games. And, how is this a problem of the video game when it is clearly labelled, with an age rating and content alerts on them. Time for newspapers to start berating the parents to start taking their parental responsibility seriously, and understand what their children are up to, what they are playing.

"Hey Little Johnny, why are shooting that crack whore in the arse, drug running, and killing cops?"

"You bought the game for me Dad/ All my friends play this game why can't I?"

Understand what your kids are doing on their machines. Ignorance is no defence in a court of law.