N-Europe

Longtime iPhone user - Android switch?

Aneres11

Lol you're hilarious @Sheikah absolutely hilarious.

Yeah I'm totally unaware how to use a pc. It is totally impossible to think that a pc would be anything but perfect, load up really quickly and never get plagued by the thousands if not millions of different virus's that are out there.

Give me a break.

You're just coming across as patronising now and quite frankly have offered nothing to this thread whereas others have been helpful and although they clearly don't favour apple they haven't let that get in the way of their advice. Unlike you. Funny thing is you said it yourself - you're probably the best person to ask seeing as you switched from an iPhone yourself, but you've just turned it into yet another I hate apple and everyone who uses their products are clearly retarded thread. It's boring.

I've explained that I don't like Windows and for the way I use a personal computer my MacBook suits me just fine.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, ignorance is bliss I suppose.

If you want to believe that all PCs take an age to load up, are prone to unwanted toolbars and viruses and year-by-year slowdown in the right hands then that's up to you.

I'm happy for you to continue to use Apple products, as they are geared to be simple to use and often aimed at people who believe such things.

To say I have offered nothing to this thread though is frankly insulting. Post #15, I give a detailed account of positive features of Android over iOS, which answers some of the questions in your first post.

Edited by Sheikah

Just a quick question Aneres11. Where the PCs you used like 400 euro while the macbooks you used 1400? Or where they both equally priced?

As for start up time. If I just leave my laptop on standby, and this is an 3 year old 700 euro laptop, it starts up in mere seconds. If you turn it off completely however it takes longer. Slowdown also happens on both OSs, obviously, and are probably comparable if they are both equally priced. Toolbars are installed on Internet Explorer which no one should be using anyway. And there are some really good looking Windows laptops if you pay up to the price of macbooks. My friends just got one for less than 400 euro and it's really thin and looks really good.

C'mon guys, Ashley's already said it - this thread isn't about PCs and Macs and especially not people's personal choices in that respect - I will ban the next person to continue it being about PCs and Macs from this* thread, even if they're responding to other people's posts.

As for the actual question at hand Aneres, I can't offer much as my first smartphone has been my only one and it's a HTC Desire HD. Personally I've loved Android, I've not used iPhones much(and get confused by the one button sometimes!) and I actually quite like being able to have quick links to apps and whatnot on my home screen(screens, even, as Eenuh said. I have 7 available, but only have apps on two - then a calculator and a clock on two others - tbh looking at my phone it's a total mess lol).

What is it about the reviews for the One that have appealed to you though? It sounds like you really want the music aspect, and it's not something I can comment on but I'd imagine it won't be a totally smooth transition to android. I do think overall that Android is pretty cracking though, and you can really make it into how you like it if you wanted to. I mostly just use my phone as a phone though, with the odd distraction on it, so that keeps me happy! I don't know what the sharing is like on iPhone, but what Cube mentioned about sharing also comes in really hand for me(going from a picture straight to whatsapp, facebook or a picture message).

Edited by Rummy
*Edited to clarify the point

Shorty gonna get banned?

I've had hands on with the phone today. Not feeling it too much if I'm honest.

He has music on his phone and I don't like its layout compared to the way Apple display their music. It feels like it's a bit of a copy cat system but it doesn't feel anywhere near as smooth.

The HTC One is also big on this thing called Blink Feed which is your home screen that displays news articles, social media posts and such. Problem is it is not removable and the information you can put on there is not amendable by the user. You have some control - e.g. you can decide the content that's displayed such as sport, music etc, but it doesn't let you decide where that info is sourced from. So I couldn't have Digital Spy providing me with Music news for instance, which is generally where I go.

It's a nice feature in theory, but it's not very practical and the guy himself admitted he didn't like it.

These aren't the only reasons. The phone felt much bigger compared to the iPhone in hand and I preferred the smaller form of my iPhone. I don't use my phone as a web browser so a bigger screen has no real purpose for me. I won't be watching movies on it either.

Android seems like it'd be more than useable though. It's just the HTC One that wasn't blowing me away too much.

I think with Android you've got to get a decent device along side the OS too, and this isn't the handset for me.

Thanks for all your replies though it's been much appreciated.

C'mon guys, Ashley's already said it - this thread isn't about PCs and Macs and especially not people's personal choices in that respect - I will ban the next person to continue it being about PCs and Macs from the thread, even if they're responding to other people's posts.

As for the actual question at hand Aneres, I can't offer much as my first smartphone has been my only one and it's a HTC Desire HD. Personally I've loved Android, I've not used iPhones much(and get confused by the one button sometimes!) and I actually quite like being able to have quick links to apps and whatnot on my home screen(screens, even, as Eenuh said. I have 7 available, but only have apps on two - then a calculator and a clock on two others - tbh looking at my phone it's a total mess lol).

What is it about the reviews for the One that have appealed to you though? It sounds like you really want the music aspect, and it's not something I can comment on but I'd imagine it won't be a totally smooth transition to android. I do think overall that Android is pretty cracking though, and you can really make it into how you like it if you wanted to. I mostly just use my phone as a phone though, with the odd distraction on it, so that keeps me happy! I don't know what the sharing is like on iPhone, but what Cube mentioned about sharing also comes in really hand for me(going from a picture straight to whatsapp, facebook or a picture message).

Are you actually being serious about banning people for straying slightly from the original topic?

Surely the allowance of the odd bit of off topic discussion is one of the better things about NE. I wouldn't want to think you could be banned for deviating every now and then from a very specific topic. Some of the best thrips have happened from this.

Shorty gonna get banned?

He has music on his phone and I don't like its layout compared to the way Apple display their music. It feels like it's a bit of a copy cat system but it doesn't feel anywhere near as smooth.

The HTC One is also big on this thing called Blink Feed which is your home screen that displays news articles, social media posts and such. Problem is it is not removable and the information you can put on there is not amendable by the user. You have some control - e.g. you can decide the content that's displayed such as sport, music etc, but it doesn't let you decide where that info is sourced from. So I couldn't have Digital Spy providing me with Music news for instance, which is generally where I go.

It's a nice feature in theory, but it's not very practical and the guy himself admitted he didn't like it.

These aren't the only reasons. The phone felt much bigger compared to the iPhone in hand and I preferred the smaller form of my iPhone. I don't use my phone as a web browser so a bigger screen has no real purpose for me. I won't be watching movies on it either.

Android seems like it'd be more than useable though. It's just the HTC One that wasn't blowing me away too much.

I think with Android you've got to get a decent device along side the OS too, and this isn't the handset for me.

If you can, try get your hands on the Nexus 4 and have a little play. It doesn't come with a lot of the pre-installed shovel ware that are on other branded phones and it runs buttery smooth. :)

When he says banning, I think he means from the thread, and is probably trying to avoid a spiral into endless back and forth bickering. It's not so much going off topic that's the problem, but going onto that particular minefield.

If you can, try get your hands on the Nexus 4 and have a little play. It doesn't come with a lot of the pre-installed shovel ware that are on other branded phones and it runs buttery smooth. :)

I shall give it a look next time I'm in town. Now I've grasped the way Android works a little better I'm pretty curious to check out other devices that use it.

Ill add it to the list!

As you could guess, being able to easily put music on my phone from my computer is a big deal for me too. :p

I have an iMac (which i adore) and a HTC Senasation XE. I have all my music in iTunes. I have the Google Music mac program that automatically uploads my entire iTunes library, which is then available with album artwork on my phone. It's just really easy and simple for me.

I thing I love most about Android is how customizable it is. I absolutely HATE icons. If my homescreen isn't like this:

2013-04-29_19-21-41_zps59b4d445.png

Then it just really annoys me.

I find my phone to be really quick and easy to use and I have past experience using iOS. They're both obviously very good, and i believe it's 100% down to the user. It's hard to pick a OS that is better, as both have pros and cons. I think anybody could easily switch from one to the other with time. An Android or iPhone could surely offer everything anyone on here wants from a phone.

Yes, i love my current phone, but I'm really considering getting an iPhone when my contract runs out, just because it'll make it easier for me as i now use a Mac at home.

Looking at what you want, an iPhone already does it all and it's really easy for you, so why not just stick with it? :)

When he says banning, I think he means from the thread, and is probably trying to avoid a spiral into endless back and forth bickering. It's not so much going off topic that's the problem, but going onto that particular minefield.

Yep, this. For that exact reasoning, too.

Shorty gonna get banned?

I can't, his powar level is over 9000 :(

Tbh, I think you'd grow to like Android - but if you used the phone more generally. As MadDog said, iOS does seem to already work for you - but it's always fun to venture into the new and unknown! I'd second Moogle's statement that whatever this blinkfeed is, it's probably removable - mine had some weird crap on it when I first got it that I fairly promptly got rid of. I think with your current usage being quite focused on the music aspect, you've got something that works and don't need to rock the boat. Maybe just keep the same iPhone for now, sell the HTC, pocket the monies and maybe switch next time down the line(personally I can only imagine Android getting better, not worse), where it might be more suitable to what you want?

Edited by Rummy
Automerged Doublepost

Everything is removable on Android.

It isn't removable.

The 2-5 min section covers that.

As you could guess, being able to easily put music on my phone from my computer is a big deal for me too. :p

I have an iMac (which i adore) and a HTC Senasation XE. I have all my music in iTunes. I have the Google Music mac program that automatically uploads my entire iTunes library, which is then available with album artwork on my phone. It's just really easy and simple for me.

I thing I love most about Android is how customizable it is. I absolutely HATE icons. If my homescreen isn't like this:

2013-04-29_19-21-41_zps59b4d445.png

Then it just really annoys me.

I find my phone to be really quick and easy to use and I have past experience using iOS. They're both obviously very good, and i believe it's 100% down to the user. It's hard to pick a OS that is better, as both have pros and cons. I think anybody could easily switch from one to the other with time. An Android or iPhone could surely offer everything anyone on here wants from a phone.

Yes, i love my current phone, but I'm really considering getting an iPhone when my contract runs out, just because it'll make it easier for me as i now use a Mac at home.

Looking at what you want, an iPhone already does it all and it's really easy for you, so why not just stick with it? :)

:bowdown: Nice post. Basically sums it up perfectly.

And totally stealing that home screen image too. :heh:

Just as a point about both sharing and customisation though, in the time from that last post edit, I can take this picture, upload it to Photobucket, then post it here. I don't know if its as easy/quick with iOS, but I love that.

2013-04-29_21-08-16.jpg

(an example of how different my home screens are/can be from MadDogs example)

:bowdown: Nice post. Basically sums it up perfectly.

And totally stealing that home screen image too. :heh:

Haha, I've uploaded the full size image here if you want. ;)

Ooops, last link wasn't full full size, now it is.

Edited by MadDog

Well that's shit. Usually you can root it and uninstall. I hate bloatware, they should make it removable.

That's HTC for you though, you can't really change everything, most of the stuff that is on there can't be removed etc. Unless of course you put a custom ROM on it, but then you risk voiding your warranty.

Yeah it's that kinda thing I don't like the sound of. Having to install other stuff to get rid of something that should be amendable in the first place.

I understand that it can be done, but I can't be arsed with the hassle. And like Eenuh says, you risk the warranty being voided, which is something I hadn't even though of.