NEurope
madeinbeats

Wii U VC

Can't see myself ever going back to AC Wild World, considering that LGTTC is basically Wild World but better in every way; but it's nice that it's there :)

The name is pretty ironic now though, considering that Nintendo WFC is no more :(

At least we have a main Animal Crossing game on the Wii U now :p

At least we have a main Animal Crossing game on the Wii U now :p

This is a cost-cutting measure by Nintendo, little do we know that this is our main Animal Crossing game for the Wii U as we'll have this, Animal Crossing Amiibo Festival and that'll be our lot! ;)

I can't see myself spending much time with this title again, it was good on the DS but we've had the 3DS games for ages and I barely play that anymore as it is. ::shrug:

I couldn't go back to playing Wild World, New Leaf fulfills my Animal Crossing fix just fine.

Anybody bought The Legend of Zelda DS games on the Wii U VC? If so, how are they when they're stretched to display on a TV?

Anybody bought The Legend of Zelda DS games on the Wii U VC? If so, how are they when they're stretched to display on a TV?

I've got as far as buying them as I purchased them straight after the Direct seeing as we get a reasonable deal on them - £13.48 for both games until 19/11/15 as you get one of them for half price after purchashing the other one - but alas I have not tried them yet so all I can say so far is that if you've alreeady bought a DS game on the Wii U VC then you can expect them to look as good as whichever game you've tried most likely.

They'll both be reviewed in VC Weekly 362 so... that'll probably be in two weeks time - possibly earlier - but in the meantime I'll try and fire them up soon if I get the chance. : peace:

Are you considering getting them both for the offer or are you more interested in one of the games more than the other?

I've got as far as buying them as I purchased them straight after the Direct seeing as we get a reasonable deal on them - £13.48 for both games until 19/11/15 as you get one of them for half price after purchashing the other one - but alas I have not tried them yet so all I can say so far is that if you've alreeady bought a DS game on the Wii U VC then you can expect them to look as good as whichever game you've tried most likely.

They'll both be reviewed in VC Weekly 362 so... that'll probably be in two weeks time - possibly earlier - but in the meantime I'll try and fire them up soon if I get the chance. : peace:

Are you considering getting them both for the offer or are you more interested in one of the games more than the other?

I was about to buy them as soon as they became available but I'm still not sold on the DS emulation based on Mario Kart DS. While Mario Kart is perfectly playable just using the gamepad, it's a bit too stretched to look any good on a TV. So it effectively makes it a less portable DS, and I already have the two Zelda games on DS. The difference with the Zelda games is that they're slower paced than Mario Kart and it has a very different art style. So I was just wondering if they look alright on the TV. Then there's also the point that they both use the touch screen quite a bit, which again might mean they're both much more suited to GamePad play.

I was about to buy them as soon as they became available but I'm still not sold on the DS emulation based on Mario Kart DS. While Mario Kart is perfectly playable just using the gamepad, it's a bit too stretched to look any good on a TV. So it effectively makes it a less portable DS, and I already have the two Zelda games on DS. The difference with the Zelda games is that they're slower paced than Mario Kart and it has a very different art style. So I was just wondering if they look alright on the TV. Then there's also the point that they both use the touch screen quite a bit, which again might mean they're both much more suited to GamePad play.

Like you, i'm not a fan of the DS emulation on the Wii U. The games look a mess on the TV and the layouts on the Wii U Gamepad aren't ideal.

I bought the Zelda games as they were on offer and I was interested to see how they would control in the various screen setups. I took a quick pic of what it looks like on the TV.

IMG_2525_zpsjgptdmw9.jpg

IMG_2526_zpsd6pov9a4.jpg

For me, the first picture setup is too small and even worse when on the Gamepad.

The second pic is quite a mess on the TV. It's hard to see in the picture but there are jaggies everywhere and the smoothing filter just makes it a blurry mess. If you play it on just the Gamepad then it's not too bad. I use the second picture setup and it works really well.

The DS games should have been on the 3DS but seeing as the NX is supposed to be based around the Wii U architecture, you can see why they opted to put them on it. Still doesn't make the situation at the moment any better, though.

Personally I would go for the Large Screen option for the Zelda games (One screen on the TV, one on the Gamepad). Works great for the two Zelda DS games since there isn't really anything that's difficult to keep track of that spans across both screens (there are some boss encounters that play out on both screens simultaneously, but with how they're set up in these games, they should work just fine on Wii U).

Gives you a huge canvas for the touch screen controls so they work very very well! :D

Like you, i'm not a fan of the DS emulation on the Wii U. The games look a mess on the TV and the layouts on the Wii U Gamepad aren't ideal.

I bought the Zelda games as they were on offer and I was interested to see how they would control in the various screen setups. I took a quick pic of what it looks like on the TV.

IMG_2525_zpsjgptdmw9.jpg

IMG_2526_zpsd6pov9a4.jpg

For me, the first picture setup is too small and even worse when on the Gamepad.

The second pic is quite a mess on the TV. It's hard to see in the picture but there are jaggies everywhere and the smoothing filter just makes it a blurry mess. If you play it on just the Gamepad then it's not too bad. I use the second picture setup and it works really well.

The DS games should have been on the 3DS but seeing as the NX is supposed to be based around the Wii U architecture, you can see why they opted to put them on it. Still doesn't make the situation at the moment any better, though.

DS Virtual Console can't be on the 3DS. The only way it can run DS games limits it to a tiny amount of memory, and the games would have to be recoded for digital download saves.

Personally I would go for the Large Screen option for the Zelda games (One screen on the TV, one on the Gamepad). Works great for the two Zelda DS games since there isn't really anything that's difficult to keep track of that spans across both screens (there are some boss encounters that play out on both screens simultaneously, but with how they're set up in these games, they should work just fine on Wii U).

Gives you a huge canvas for the touch screen controls so they work very very well! :D

I may give this setup a try at some point. Problem is I like to have both screens on the one screen, or at least close enough so I don't have to keep looking up and down every 5 minutes. Certainly worth a shot, though.

If the amount of jaggies that this (Inevitably) gets on TV's bothers you, then you might just want to play the DS ones, seeing as you have them already.

Oh hey, just a heads up. The Mario Tennis 64 download code that comes with MTUS is actually redeemable now, so you can actually download it right now.

I'm also glad to report that it is indeed the US 60hz version. No 50hz crap here thankfully! :D

However it looks like there's no Transfer Pak support of any kind, so if you were hoping to unlock those extra courts, you're out of luck sadly...

Oh hey, just a heads up. The Mario Tennis 64 download code that comes with MTUS is actually redeemable now, so you can actually download it right now.

I'm also glad to report that it is indeed the US 60hz version. No 50hz crap here thankfully! :D

However it looks like there's no Transfer Pak support of any kind, so if you were hoping to unlock those extra courts, you're out of luck sadly...

Good to see that you can download it now. Hopefully this means the general release isn't too far behind.

I take it that you'll be playing Mario Tennis 64 more than MTUS? :D

Good to see that you can download it now. Hopefully this means the general release isn't too far behind.

I take it that you'll be playing Mario Tennis 64 more than MTUS? :D

I've already done everything I can really do in MTUS! Still have characters to unlock, but I've basically already seen everything that game has to offer.

What a shame :(

I'll be sure to dive into MT64 again though! Plenty to do there!

Double Dragon III, Ninja Gaiden and Adventures of Bayou Billy this week

It's even better than that! We're getting Ninja Gaiden 2 AND 3 this week! :D

Double Dragon III: The Sacred Stones (Arc System Works, NES VC) - €4.99/£3.49

Billy and Jimmy face their toughest challenge yet as they must save Marion from an evil organization in pursuit of the legendary Rosetta Stones. As always, this beat 'em up series truly shines with multiplayer and it is recommended to embark through this perilous journey with another friend! The NES version of Double Dragon III is different from the arcade version and introduces an innovative feature: the player can recruit two Bosses as allies and switch between characters at any time.

Ninja Gaiden II: The Dark Sword of Chaos (KOEI TECMO GAMES, NES VC) - €4.99/£3.49

In this sequel to the original NES Ninja Gaiden, Ryu Hayabusa embarks on a mission to vanquish an evil empire and destroy the Sword of Chaos. Use speed and Ninjutsu fighting techniques to progress through multiple stages full of enemies. Increase Ryu’s powers and recover strength by finding items along the way. Ryu can now also create copies of himself that constantly follow him, repeating his moves. Originally released under the title "Shadow Warriors II: The Dark Sword of Chaos" in Europe.

Ninja Gaiden III: The Ancient Ship of Doom (KOEI TECMO GAMES, NES VC) - €4.99/£3.49

The original NES adventures of Ryu Hayabusa conclude with Ninja Gaiden III: The Ancient Ship of Doom. Falsely accused of murder, Ryu must battle through seven action-packed stages to clear his name. Armed with his trusty sword and ninja magic, Ryu can now also grab platforms and pipes to perform swift attacks on enemies from above or below. You’ll need all of Ryu’s skills at your disposal to defeat the forces of evil and uncover the true culprit.

The Adventures of Bayou Billy (Konami, NES VC) - €4.99/£3.49

Brawl through the Louisiana Bayou all the way to New Orleans' famous Bourbon Street with former U.S. soldier Billy West, determined to save his homeland and his fiancée from local mobster Godfather Gordon and his crew. The Adventures of Bayou Billy is a classic NES action game, notorious for combining beat 'em up sequences with driving and shooting stages. The shooting stages could even be played with the Zapper light gun, replaced with the Wii Remote in this Virtual Console release.

Wow!! That's an awesome week! Three games that I've yet to play that I've been wanting to for ages! (Ninja Gaiden 2, 3 and Bayou Billy - I know, I'm ashamed to admit that I've only played and beaten the first NG game on NES; I've been waiting for the Wii U one for ages!)

Oh BTW, they're the 60hz versions for sure because they're going under the title of "Ninja Gaiden" and not "Shadow Warriors" ;)

Bayou Billy is another one I've been interested in for a while. I know that it's meant to be rather uneven, but it's also one of the most ambitious titles ever released for the NES; one of the first ever games to really bring multiple genres together to create something that doesn't neatly fit into any category. Pretty novel use of the Zapper as well, thankfully replicated here :)

Plus it's basically discount Crocodile Dundee, and who doesn't like Crocodile Dundee? ;)

Alongside Bayou Billy, Double Dragon 3 was also never released on the Wii VC either, so this is the first time that has ever been re-released as well! Not really a fan of the DD games though, so I'll probably give this one a miss (unless anyone here can particularly recommend it to someone who isn't a huge fan of the beltscrolling Beat em' Up genre? I do like the Streets of Rage games and Guardian Heroes, but that's about it :p)

Edited by Dcubed

We need the coin-op Double Dragon games! I'm a huge fan, but can't bring myself to buy NES ports (or any other home version).

N-Europe Presents

VC Weekly

content-4-34523-6.jpg

Hogan's Alley

Wild Gunman

Enjoy!

: peace:

Surprised that you didn't berate them for their lack of content TBH. I mean, it makes sense, given that they are basically electronic versions of their classic physical toys/parlor games of the same name (as was Duck Hunt actually!), but a lot of people are really down on them for how dead simple those two games are; which is perhaps a bit unfair, but I get the feeling that many people going to them today would probably feel the same way. They're not quite as timeless as Duck Hunt, but they have a charm of their own.

Personally, while I think they're fun, I actually think that those two games are more notable for their historic status, rather than how they stack up as light gun games today. For better or worse, they're pretty much perfect timeslices :)

Edited by Dcubed

Surprised that you didn't berate them for their lack of content TBH. I mean, it makes sense, given that they are basically electronic versions of their classic physical toys/parlor games of the same name (as was Duck Hunt actually!), but a lot of people are really down on them for how dead simple those two games are.

Personally, while I think they're fun, I actually think that those two games are more notable for their historic status, rather than how they stack up as light gun games today. For better or worse, they're pretty much perfect timeslices :)

While I didn't berate them for it, I did at least state that...

Perhaps this title won't last you a long time being that it's rather simplistic by today's standards, however in a genre which seems to be less prevalent these days I believe that Hogan's Alley still has its place,

Also...

Again this isn't really a title which will compel you to keep playing for many hours but it is an excellent high-score challenge which should at least be attempted if you have ever enjoyed light gun games in the past and perhaps want to feel that rush of nostalgia all over again.

I decided to leave it at that because I am of a similar opinion to yourself in thinking that they are "perfect timeslices" as you say, what I meant is that it's just good to see Nintendo keeping these titles alive for future generations but at the same time it might open up the possibility of us seeing new Light Gun games again, be that as part of a mini-game collection again as in Wii Play or perhaps a standalone eShop title. : peace:

It would be nice to have a new light gun game from Nintendo at some point surely? But failing that I'd at least like to experience all of the light gun titles they made available for both the NES and SNES at the very least. :D

Gumshoe needs a VC release for certain now. ;)

Zack & Wiki, Kirby Power Paintbrush and Kirby Mass Attack this week! :D

And I can tell you that all three are great games! Mass Attack and Power Paintbrush are gonna play so incredibly well on the Gamepad! :yay:

Edited by Dcubed

Zack & Wiki and Kirby Mass Attack this week! :D

And I can tell you that both are great games! Mass Attack is gonna play so incredibly well on the Gamepad! :yay:

And Kirby Power Paintbrush

Zack & Wiki and Kirby Mass Attack this week! :D

And I can tell you that both are great games! Mass Attack is gonna play so incredibly well on the Gamepad! :yay:

Zack and Wiki is cheap for a couple of weeks as well.

Love that game to bits. Such a gem of a game.

Never expected Zack & Wiki would be up on the VC. I never finished it so this may be a good excuse to give it another go.

What advantages does the gamepad have for Mass Atack, that's another game I never started, or is it worth sticking with playing it on a 3/DS?

Mass Attack and Power Paintbrush also have the same discount offer that Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks had (if you buy one, the other one is half price)

COP THEM BOTH PEOPLE! You won't regret it! : peace:

Never expected Zack & Wiki would be up on the VC. I never finished it so this may be a good excuse to give it another go.

Same, never thought it would arrive. Will gladly play through it again as it's a real little gem of a game!

What advantages does the gamepad have for Mass Atack, that's another game I never started, or is it worth sticking with playing it on a 3/DS?

Just having a much bigger canvas to play on will be great! The 10 Kirbies are all small, so having a nice big touchscreen to play on will only make it that much easier to flick your favourite little puff balls. It plays fine on a normal DS, but of course, the bigger the screen the better!

If only we had these two releases when we did our Kirby Marathon... now the only Kirby games yet to release on Wii U (not counting GB/GBC/GCN games) are Kirby Superstar Ultra and Kirby's Super Star Stacker (SNES, Japan only - Currently available on the JPN Wii U and Wii VC. I have it on the latter ;))

Edited by Dcubed