NEurope
madeinbeats

Wii U VC

Could this just be Nintendo trying to legally outmaneuver Microsoft/Rare by not releasing the original version? Was a reason ever given for why the games were removed from the Wii virtual console?

No reason was ever given, but it was removed in all regions on Wii (not just Europe) so it's not the reason why they're releasing the US version here...

Oh nice! We get DKC2 AND Namco Museum GBA this week :)

Was expecting them to just be content with putting out DKC2 and calling it a week :p

Edit: OH NO!!! DKC2 IS THE PAL VERSION!?

YOU IDIOTS!!!

THERE IS NO REASON TO RELEASE THE PAL VERSION!! THE US VERSION HAS THE SAME FRENCH LANGUAGE SUPPORT AS THE PAL VERSION!!! (The German version is a separate ROM from the English/French one - in fact, German IS actually selectable in the US version through the use of an Action Replay code, so that's not an excuse here either!!).

This is so stupid!! Guys! Get on Miiverse and start protesting! Make some noise!! Get them to change their minds!! This decision benefits nobody! Not even the French!

Edited by Dcubed

Haven't they confirmed it runs at the same seed as the US version? Does seem weird they'd release the us version of 1, but then the PAL versions of the sequels.

Haven't they confirmed it runs at the same seed as the US version? Does seem weird they'd release the us version of 1, but then the PAL versions of the sequels.

DKC3 could well be the 60hz version (the US and EU versions both support English & French and the UK site only mentions English/French support...), we don't know yet.

DKC 2 however is the EU 50hz version, so while the gameplay speed was properly optimised back in the day, the scrolling will still be choppier and the game will also suffer the usual 50hz conversion problems on Wii U (since Wii U can't display in 50hz properly, it has to repeat every 5th frame to force it to fit into a 60hz signal - resulting in even choppier motion than the original version and missed button inputs on each "dead" frame), in addition to all the usual downsides of 50hz.

The worst part is that the EU and US versions both support the exact same languages anyway - making releasing the PAL version completely pointless! :mad:

Is there really a problem with 50Hz on the Donkey Kong games? They were made in the UK so if anything wouldn't the US versions be too fast or am I missing something?

Is there really a problem with 50Hz on the Donkey Kong games? They were made in the UK so if anything wouldn't the US versions be too fast or am I missing something?

You're right in saying that the gameplay speed is the same (as you rightfully pointed out, the DKC games were developed in the UK so they're some of the very very few SNES games that run at the correct speed in 50hz), but regardless the scrolling does look and feel choppier than the 60hz version because of the slower game refresh rate.

Now that's a relatively minor issue, but on Wii U there are additional problems with 50hz content layed on top of the original 50hz downsides because the console cannot actually display content in 50hz (all PAL VC games run in a framebuffer that displays within a 60hz frame). What the Wii U does is that it forces the 50hz games into 60hz by duplicating every 5th frame, to fill in the blanks to fit it into a 60hz refresh. This makes 50hz games look even chopier than before and means that button inputs can sometimes not register on those duplicated frames. So 50hz games on Wii U actually look and play worse than their original cartridge counterparts...

So recently recorded a video with my mate and reached the mine cart stage. Completely forgot about a certain part of it... Well when you get to around the 23 minute mark you'll see what happens. I won't spoil it for those who've yet to play the game. Let's just say we couldn't believe it!

Interestingly DKC1-3 are also back on the Wii Shop Channel this week as well!

Nice to see that they saw sense and released the US version of DKC3 at least (though it was expected, since they only listed English/French on the site)

Still it makes no damn sense! DKC 3 was originally released in English, French and German, just like DKC2 and yet they release the US version of 3 but not 2.

UGH! Just give us the US version of all of them!! :mad:

Paging @Hero\-of\-Time

Mega Man X3 (Capcom, SNES VC) - €7.99 /£5.49

Just when it seemed like a cure for the Reploids had been found, suddenly the once-peaceful robots are turning back into rogue Mavericks. As Maverick Hunters, Mega Man X and Zero spring into action. Mega Man X3 is the final chapter of the series on Super Nintendo. Play as Mega Man X or, for the first time, as Zero who has even more powerful weaponry. In addition to the classic run-and-gun gameplay, collect armour and new Enhancement Chips to upgrade your abilities further. Do you have the skills to fight this latest outbreak? This is the US version of the game.

Mega Man 7 (Capcom, SNES VC) - €7.99/£5.49

Dr. Wily has finally been imprisoned but Mega Man's fight is far from over. Wily's backup plan springs into action: four evil robots attack the city; the perfect distraction to make his escape. Mega Man and Rush are soon on Wily's trail, and so are Bass and Treble: another robot and canine companion. Who are these mysterious newcomers, and can they be trusted?Jump and blast your way through action-packed levels, face off against fiendish new bosses, discover hidden items and power ups, and send Dr. Wily back behind bars! This is the US version of the game.

Your time has come! :D

Edit: Dammit Serebii! You just HAD to beat me to it, didn't you? :p

Edited by Dcubed

OMG!!

WHAT A WEEK THIS WEEK!!!

Golden Sun: The Lost Age and Castlevania Dracula X!? (Oh and Bionic Commando Elite Forces on the 3DS VC too!)

Wow! I don't know what suddenly spurred NOE to fire on all cylinders, but I am LIKING where they're going here! :D

Keep it up guys!: peace:

(The rest of this week's offerings across both platforms are fantastic too! I don't have nearly enough time for everything! I'll leave that for the other threads though...

Golden Sun: The Lost Age..[/size]

I've played the GBA original and Dark Dawn on DS so I'm tempted to download this on Wii U as I'd love to get the opportunity to play it, but there's a part of me that wishes these games were available on 3DS instead as I'd like to have it on the go.

I'm sure Nintendo will eventually create a handheld with a VC capable of competing with that of the Wii so it may just be a case of waiting a few years for that to happen.. but then we've been waiting a few years for online to 'happen'.. :indeed:

I've played the GBA original and Dark Dawn on DS so I'm tempted to download this on Wii U as I'd love to get the opportunity to play it, but there's a part of me that wishes these games were available on 3DS instead as I'd like to have it on the go.

I'm sure Nintendo will eventually create a handheld with a VC capable of competing with that of the Wii so it may just be a case of waiting a few years for that to happen.. but then we've been waiting a few years for online to 'happen'.. :indeed:

Seriously? Have you never wondered what happened after the original!?

Dark Dawn has probably spoiled the great twist for you now.

OMG!!

WHAT A WEEK THIS WEEK!!!

Golden Sun: The Lost Age and Castlevania Dracula X!? (Oh and Bionic Commando Elite Forces on the 3DS VC too!)

Wow! I don't know what suddenly spurred NOE to fire on all cylinders, but I am LIKING where they're going here! :D

Isn't that Castlevania supposed to be an awful port though? 8-4 and RFN guys were both on about it the other week and were saying that it's a piece of junk compared to the original PC Engine version.

Will definitely be picking up Golden Sun this week though. I still have Megaman 7 to buy as well!

Isn't that Castlevania supposed to be an awful port though? 8-4 and RFN guys were both on about it the other week and were saying that it's a piece of junk compared to the original PC Engine version.

Will definitely be picking up Golden Sun this week though. I still have Megaman 7 to buy as well!

It's not a port, it's a completely different game that is based on the original Rondo of Blood.

Same level themes and story, but all the actual level designs are completely different.

It's not a port, it's a completely different game that is based on the original Rondo of Blood.

Same level themes and story, but all the actual level designs are completely different.

Yeah, but it's supposed to be pants compared to what it's based off.

Nintendolife gave it 5/10 and as I mentioned, all the guys on 2 different podcasts were slagging it off something rotten.

It doesn't sound that hot to me. I'm not the biggest fan of the CV series anyway. ::shrug:

While ambassadors of the 3DS have had their hands on Mario Kart: Super Circuit since 2011, the rest of the Nintendo community has been wondering when the Game Boy Advance title would receive a wider release on modern devices.

The ESRB has now revealed Super Circuit is making a return in the near future, with the game highly likely to receive a digital release as a Wii U Virtual Console title.

Mario Kart: Super Circuit was developed by Intelligent Systems and was originally released for the Game Boy Advance in 2001. Outside of being the first ever Mario Kart game for a Nintendo handheld, one of the main selling points was the ability to unlock all of the tracks from the original Super Nintendo entry in the series, Super Mario Kart. In 2011, the GBA-hit was then re-released exclusively as part of the 3DS ambassador program.

Good stuff.

I loved this edition of the series. There were so many memorable tracks. Shy Guy Beach, Cheese Land, Luigi Circuit and of course Sky Garden. :yay:

Good stuff.

I loved this edition of the series. There were so many memorable tracks. Shy Guy Beach, Cheese Land, Luigi Circuit and of course Sky Garden. :yay:

Not surprising at all, but still nice to see :)

But without multiplayer, half of the game's appeal is gone :(

Such a damn shame. It's so sad to think that as long as Nintendo continue to refuse to emulate the GB/GBA link cables, these multiplayer modes will end up being lost to time :cry:

It's not even like it's a major technical hurdle standing in the way. On the 3DS, sure, emulating link cables over wireless is a huge challenge, but that's not a problem on Wii U! (and as far as the whole multiple save files thing goes, they could just pull separate save files from separate NNIDs - and if they also really want to simulate the separate screens that each GB/GBA had, they could allow you to hook up two Wii Us via wired LAN and have each player playing on one Gamepad & TV each for 4 separate screens - it's clunky and expensive, but it would work perfectly!)

You would think that now that they're finally implementing Zapper support into NES VC games that they would finally think to pull their finger out with link cable support but alas :(

Edited by Dcubed

Good stuff.

Out today in the US. Hopefully we'll get it soon

Not surprising at all, but still nice to see :)

But without multiplayer, half of the game's appeal is gone :(

Such a damn shame. It's so sad to think that as long as Nintendo continue to refuse to emulate the GB/GBA link cables, these multiplayer modes will end up being lost to time :cry:

It's not even like it's a major technical hurdle standing in the way. On the 3DS, sure, emulating link cables over wireless is a huge challenge, but that's not a problem on Wii U! (and as far as the whole multiple save files thing goes, they could just pull separate save files from separate NNIDs - and if they also really want to simulate the separate screens that each GB/GBA had, they could allow you to hook up two Wii Us via wired LAN and have each player playing on one Gamepad & TV each for 4 separate screens - it's clunky and expensive, but it would work perfectly!)

You would think that now that they're finally implementing Zapper support into NES VC games that they would finally think to pull their finger out with link cable support but alas :(

If Super Circuit was upgraded with online play then I would never play Mario Kart 8 again.

Hmmm Super Circuit. The memories.

I remember owning that Rainbow Road : peace: Similar to this guy:

Best Mario Kart ever :bowdown:

Super Circuit is obviously the worst (excluding the fact it has all the snes tracks) :)

I have this on 3DS, no way I'm paying for it. I'll wait patiently for Nintendo to do cross play.

Edited by dazzybee

Picked up Golden Sun: The Lost Age yesterday and had a quick blast after Mario Kart. Love these games and look forward to putting some more time into it over the weekend.

The VC has been in overdrive lately and I've got quite a backlog of GBA games to get through, with a couple of SNES games waiting in the wings as well.

When does the digital points promotion end? Is it the end of December? I'm think about going all out and buying all the games I'm after on the VC before the promotion goes bye bye.