NEurope
madeinbeats

Wii U VC

The sale on Earthbound ends tomorrow so get moving if you want it and still haven't bought it. I got it and think it's well worth the money. €6, you can't go wrong. I really like the music and I've just entered Threed on the Runaway Five tour bus.

The sale on Earthbound ends tomorrow so get moving if you want it and still haven't bought it. I got it and think it's well worth the money. €6, you can't go wrong. I really like the music and I've just entered Threed on the Runaway Five tour bus.

Still too turn-based for me so I'm passing on it.

I used to watch the NT Warrior anime and apparently that's based on the Battle Network series right?

Might give it a go.

Still too turn-based for me so I'm passing on it.

what... aren't you the guy that bums Pokemon?

@\-Dem0\- yeah the anime was based on the Battle Network games. If you enjoyed that then I think you'll like the game. When you do get it remember to attack with your battle chips and not with the buster unless if it will kill the enemy.

what... aren't you the guy that bums Pokemon?

I run the world's most popular Pokémon site, yeah

Do you not play the Pokemon games? I can't see how you can say Earthbound is "too turn-based" while playing Pokemon. Not saying you have to buy Earthbound or anything but it's really confusing me

Personally I found Earthbound really over rated and very dated. I've tried three times to play through it but have given up all three times. I just don't see the charm of it.

I love MMBN! I highly recommend that game, especially if you like RPGs/tactical games. It will be downloaded when I unpack the Wii U at some point. :D

Do you not play the Pokemon games? I can't see how you can say Earthbound is "too turn-based" while playing Pokemon. Not saying you have to buy Earthbound or anything but it's really confusing me

Other than Pokémon, I cannot stand turn-based games.

I know I've said this before, but I do think that Earthbound would also join the ranks of Turn-Based-RPG-That-Serebii-Actually-Likes that the Pokemon games occupy. The game does share in a lot of the same elements that make Pokemon games so enjoyable (not to mention that there is a real-time element to the battle system with the Rolling HP counter - Basically, whenever you take damage, your HP starts rolling down. If you finish the battle or heal yourself before it finishes rolling down, you will stop yourself from losing any more health and your HP will start rolling back up; you can even use it to stop yourself from being killed when you take enough damage to fully deplete your HP - a vital technique in this game, because it's not easy!)

Of course it is its own thing though and if you love quirky, insane, and nonsensical stuff...

42-capture_12022008_061245.png

Well written and lovable characters...

earthbound-review-2.png

A love for slice-of-life storytelling, with a sense of childhood nostalgia...

20101113022719!MachPizza_OnettBranch_Screenshot.png

and a rockin' jazzy soundtrack...

lastconcert.png

You'll find a lot to love in this game :D

Edited by Dcubed

I've played earthbound for the first time when it came out last year on the eshop. Calling it a great game is a grave understatement, it's a true classic! The fighting system is actually rather fun and interesting! Locales are great, atmosphere is amazing, the story is enchanting.... I recommend it to anybody and especially for such a cheap price!

How long does it take to complete the game? As in, get from the start to the end, not including collecting stuff (if there's any of that in here). We downloaded this last night and I may give it a go at some point. I think the trick is with older games like this is to just "ignore" all of the hype that surrounds it and go in as if you were playing it for the very first time fresh, without knowing a single thing about it.

How long does it take to complete the game? As in, get from the start to the end, not including collecting stuff (if there's any of that in here). We downloaded this last night and I may give it a go at some point. I think the trick is with older games like this is to just "ignore" all of the hype that surrounds it and go in as if you were playing it for the very first time fresh, without knowing a single thing about it.

That's always the best way to enjoy a game (and that's how I played the game - previously going out of my way over the years to avoid as much info about it as possible; I didn't even know about the Rolling HP Counter before playing it on Wii U and was shocked to see it never copied by any other developer, because it's a stroke of genius!)

As for the length? Probably about 15-20 hours-ish I reckon. It's not a short game per-say, but it's short by RPG standards. I never felt it needed to be any longer or shorter though, it's paced perfectly :)

There's very little in the way of "collector"'s stuff in general either. Just a laid back journey :)

Edited by Dcubed

That's always the best way to enjoy a game (and that's how I played the game - previously going out of my way over the years to avoid as much info about it as possible; I didn't even know about the Rolling HP Counter before playing it on Wii U!)

As for the length? Probably about 15-20 hours-ish I reckon. It's not a short game per-say, but it's short by RPG standards. I never felt it needed to be any longer or shorter though, it's paced perfectly :)

That's a good length, imo.

Yeah, I know very little about the game and was reading up some of the history behind Mother1,2 and 3 yesterday. So, let me make sure I get this part right:

- Mother 2 is EarthBound for SNES. Released in Japan and North America, never Europe (until VC in 2013)

- Mother 1 was released in Japan for the NES BUT a version was ready to get released in North America and was canned due to the release of the SNES.

- Mother 3 is Japan only on the GBA.

I hear that there's a ROM of Mother (named EarthBound Zero by fans) out there. Could there be a chance of Mother being released for the WiiU VC? If it's there and translated, surely there's a possibility?

That's a good length, imo.

Yeah, I know very little about the game and was reading up some of the history behind Mother1,2 and 3 yesterday. So, let me make sure I get this part right:

- Mother 2 is EarthBound for SNES. Released in Japan and North America, never Europe (until VC in 2013)

- Mother 1 was released in Japan for the NES BUT a version was ready to get released in North America and was canned due to the release of the SNES.

- Mother 3 is Japan only on the GBA.

I hear that there's a ROM of Mother (named EarthBound Zero by fans) out there. Could there be a chance of Mother being released for the WiiU VC? If it's there and translated, surely there's a possibility?

You're right on all counts :)

The "Earthbound Zero" ROM floating around is a 100% complete and official NOA localisation (though it still had the Mother title screen, some versions have a fan made Earthbound Zero title screen hacked in, but the ROM is a finished localisation that could easily be thrown up on the Virtual Console.)

Nor would it even be the first of its kind. The VC already has a few completed but un-released versions of games up on the service (like the English Arcade version of Wonderboy, or the AES version of Ironclad)

As far as we know though, there is no English version of Mother 3 though in any form... (though even then, Sin & Punishment and Monster World 4 got full English localisations on the Wii VC, so it's not impossible...)

You're right on all counts :)

The "Earthbound Zero" ROM floating around is a 100% complete and official NOA localisation (though it still had the Mother title screen, some versions have a fan made Earthbound Zero title screen hacked in, but the ROM is a finished localisation that could easily be thrown up on the Virtual Console.)

Nor would it even be the first of its kind. The VC already has a few completed but un-released versions of games up on the service (like the English Arcade version of Wonderboy, or the AES version of Ironclad)

As far as we know though, there is no English version of Mother 3 though in any form... (though even then, Sin & Punishment and Monster World 4 got full English localisations on the Wii VC, so it's not impossible...)

That's awesome, cheers.

See, for me, the Virtual Console exists for two purposes:

1. To allow fans to relive and enjoy the games that they enjoyed on previous systems.

2. To allow fans to experience and enjoy games that they have never played before. (either games that they haven't bought or were unavailable to them, e.g. unreleased in their territory)

It would make sense to get Mother/EarthBound Zero released on the European VC because that qualifies under my second point. It's one of the things that excited me the most about the Virtual Console when it was first announced years ago.

What exactly is the situation with the second Starwing game that was going to be released for the SNES? From what I know, the majority of that was completed. Think it was in the beta stage, but unsure. That would be lovely, get that ready for the VC.

Must be worth giving it a go since it's on sale? You might like it. :shrug:

What exactly is the situation with the second Starwing game that was going to be released for the SNES? From what I know, the majority of that was completed. Think it was in the beta stage, but unsure. That would be lovely, get that ready for the VC.

From what I know, the game was nearly finished, but not quite there. It was a late beta, with everything pretty much done, but still with a few bugs to be ironed out.

The fans took the ROM, fixed the bugs, removed the onscreen debut info and translated the text.

I doubt it will see a VC release though. They probably wouldn't deem it to be of satisfactory quality for release... (plus Starfox Command was like a spiritual remake anyway - not literally a remake mind you, but a lot of the core mechanics like the tactical map screen parts were taken from Starfox 2)

I doubt it will see a VC release though. They probably wouldn't deem it to be of satisfactory quality for release... (plus Starfox Command was like a spiritual remake anyway - not literally a remake mind you, but a lot of the core mechanics like the tactical map screen parts were taken from Starfox 2)

Careful, you might put people off it!

For what it was worth, Command was good fun! If only because you got to play as Star Wolf (Leon FTW!), completely dumb endings and the Lylat Babble being unintentionally funny. (Bleurbabelleiblerbebehcrap!)

Careful, you might put people off it!

For what it was worth, Command was good fun! If only because you got to play as Star Wolf (Leon FTW!), completely dumb endings and the Lylat Babble being unintentionally funny. (Bleurbabelleiblerbebehcrap!)

The first time I played Star Fox Command I got the ending where...

Fox and Falco leave Star Fox and become F-Zero racers with their arwings instead

:D

This week's game.

Pop'n Twinbee Rainbow Bell Adventures (Konami, SNES VC) - €7.99/£5.49

The cutesy characters from the classic Pop'n TwinBee blast out of their shoot 'em up world and hit the ground running in this acclaimed Super NES platformer. An evil warlord is trying to conquer the universe, so TwinBee and friends must save the day. Play as TwinBee, WinBee, or newcomer GwinBee, and battle through challenging stages using numerous punch, jump and special weapon skills, before taking down each giant boss. Play solo or cooperate with a friend, or duke it out between yourselves in the head-to-head battle mode!

This is the European version of the game, which was originally optimised by the developer to play music at a speed similar to the Japanese version. Gameplay, demos and animations run at PAL speed. The aspect ratio has been corrected for this release.

And the next batch of NES games on sale.

Special offers

You must own NES Remix or NES Remix 2 to partake in these NES deals.

Kirby's Adventure (Nintendo) - €3.49/£2.44 (Ends August 7, normally €4.99/£3.49)

Super Mario Bros. 2 (Nintendo) - €3.49/£2.44 (Ends August 7, normally €4.99/£3.49)

Donkey Kong (Nintendo) - €2.49/£1.74 (Ends August 7, normally €4.99/£3.49)

Zelda II - The Adventure of Link (Nintendo) - €2.49/£1.74 (Ends August 7, normally €4.99/£3.49)

Wario's Woods (Nintendo) - €2.49/£1.74 (Ends August 7, normally €4.99/£3.49)

Ice Climber (Nintendo) - €2.49/£1.74 (Ends August 7, normally €4.99/£3.49)

Punch-Out!! (Nintendo) - €2.49/£1.74 (Ends August 7, normally €4.99/£3.49)

I asked the same but got little answer - turned to HLTB(which I find really intriguing for some reason) and it pegs it about 20-30 hours - http://www.howlongtobeat.com/game.php?id=3034

I bought it myself before the sale finished, I might start on it soon as I'm not realy 'gaming' anything atm, try and put in an hour a day or so.

If anyone would like their Miiverse screens of the Megaman games included in VC Weekly 302 then feel free to post a link to them in here and I'll do my best to include some of them, all properly credited. : peace:

Mach Rider and Megaman Battle Chip Challenge this week. Not bad :)

Both games I've never played before too :D (was waiting for Mach Rider to show up on Wii U rather than 3DS)

Mach Rider and Megaman Battle Chip Challenge this week. Not bad :)

Both games I've never played before too :D (was waiting for Mach Rider to show up on Wii U rather than 3DS)

Battle Chip Challenge is an awful spin off from the Battle Network games. I wouldn't bother.