NEurope
madeinbeats

Wii U VC

I knew someone would nitpick this point, which is why I altered my post.

If people are going to take issue with stuff like this then I guess we should start posting the Wii downloadable games in the eShop section, something which I tried when Resident Evil 4 Wii download came out but was largely ignored due to people discussing it in here.

I only noticed this after I'd already posted, I wasn't meaning to "nitpick" as such though, I researched the game after finding out about it moments before, it's still a very much valid release and one which should be welcomed regardless of its digital status. :)

Personally, I don't mind if the Nintendo download stuff gets posted in the eShop section, you make a very good point especially regarding Resident Evil 4 Wii Edition which is the same kind of release. : peace:

Whatever is best for the forum in any case, if we need some restructuring regarding what's posted where then so be it.

I think this is part of the problem, Nintendo needs to standardise their releases and clarify exactly what they are on the NX, I think they seem keen to try and lump the Wii re-releases in with the VC purely because there's just not that much being released. :D

Nintendo doesn't call them Virtual Console releases anymore which is why they're not really separated in the PR, I forgot what they referring them now (Digital Downloads?).

Really the problem is because we have 2 threads were the discussion overlaps.

Woah! I missed that one completely! That's a real surprise release! :o

Especially given that it's a Hudson game coming from Konami! And it's a rare game to boot! (Uncommonly appears on eBay and typically goes for anywhere between £30-70) Nice! :D

News about Wii downloads should go in here really. Yeah, they're not actually VC releases, but this is still the most fitting place to talk about them (besides, most people don't care too much about the distinction really :p )

Edited by Dcubed

Am I the only one who finds it slightly irritating when people say Wii downloads aren't VC?! Fact is the virtual console is all their past console on the Wii U, the Wii is a past console. I see their games as the same as playing the SNES games even if they don't have the same features and run them in a slightly different way.

Am I the only one who finds it slightly irritating when people say Wii downloads aren't VC?! Fact is the virtual console is all their past console on the Wii U, the Wii is a past console. I see their games as the same as playing the SNES games even if they don't have the same features and run them in a slightly different way.

It's a very intriguing conundrum, that's for sure.

Personally, I think they're closer to buying a WiiU retail game on the eShop.

If it don't have no VC features, it ain't no Virtual Console.

It's a very intriguing conundrum, that's for sure.

Personally, I think they're closer to buying a WiiU retail game on the eShop.

If it don't have no VC features, it ain't no Virtual Console.

So was there no VC on Wii then which didn't have the features of the Wii U VC?!

Fact is, it was billed as a virtual console of past games!

Anyways, it isn't that important.

Well... they're... not.

They're download versions of disc games running natively though a modified Wii Mode. They're not emulated like actual VC games are and as such, they don't carry the Virtual Console branding.

Simple really ::shrug:

This is still probably the most sensible place to talk about them though.

So you're the person who gets anal about people saying they're pretty much VC games, but then admit is "the most sensible" place to talk about it... That's as good as an admission as we're going to get :)

N-Europe Presents

VC Weekly

content-2-34860-vcweekly383sidebanner.jpg

Contra III

The Alien Wars

Does the great Contra III still pack a punch on the small screen?

Check inside for the verdict.

Enjoy!

: peace:

N-Europe Presents

VC Weekly

content-2-34860-vcweekly383sidebanner.jpg

Contra III

The Alien Wars

Does the great Contra III still pack a punch on the small screen?

Enjoy!

The Alien Wars is such a great game :yay:

This week:

Bonk's Adventure

New Adventure Island

R-TYPE

Also on 3DS:

Street Fighter II Turbo: Hyper Fighting

Street Fighter Alpha 2

Super Street Fighter II: The New Challengers

Wahey! Let the TG16 cavalcade begin! :D

Come on The Legendary Axe! Come on Ys 3! :yay:

N-Europe Presents

VC Weekly

VCWeekly384sidebanner.jpg

Mario Slam

Basketball

MarioSlamBasketballbanner.jpg

Time to shoot some B-ball outside of the... castle?

Check inside for the verdicts.

Enjoy!

Neat.

I'll probably give it a miss though. Whenever I go back to Snap, I always get burnt out about halfway through. Which isn't a good thing, considering how short it is.

Miiverse is perfect for this game.

Still waiting for Explorers of Sky to escape America...

I have Snap on cart so will probably give the VC release a miss. Miiverse interaction might be able to sucker me back in though.

Ah, Pokemon snap. The game that single-handedly showed us how a proper Pokemon game might work on home console.

Imagine instead walking around an encountering Pokemon like how they appear in Snap, with the option to catch them.

Still waiting for Explorers of Sky to escape America...

Ask and ye shall receive.

From this weeks release list.

Virtual Console (Wii U)

Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky (Nintendo DS), Nintendo – £8.99 (€9.99)

Become a Pokémon and experience the world in a whole different way. Enter into a spectacular adventure to save the Pokémon world! Play as one of 19 different Pokémon. Find out which one you will become. Interact with more than 490 Pokémon as you explore!

Ask and ye shall receive.

Oh Snap!

Wait, that's not right...

Oh Mystery Dungeon!

I'm not even gonna get paranoid on how creepily timed that was! And another game perfect for Miiverse!

Oh Snap!

Wait, that's not right...

Oh Mystery Dungeon!

I'm not even gonna get paranoid on how creepily timed that was! And another game perfect for Miiverse!

YOOOMTAAA!!!! :D

The Miiverse caption potential!!! It's nuts!!

We'll never end up finishing it on Wii U because of it :laughing:

N-Europe Presents

VC Weekly

content-2-34882-vcweekly385sidebanner.jpg

Donkey Kong

Country 3

Dixie Kong's

Double Trouble!

@Josh64 and I team up to tackle DKC3 on the New 3DS...

...and we meet some fantastically dressed bears along the way.

Enjoy!

I never really thought about exactly why I prefer DKC3 over the second one. But I think that review sums it up nicely. I do prefer the exploration focus.

That said, I do think Kiddy compliments Dixie better than Diddy did. Being a character suited more to "experts" while Dixie acting as a safer alternative with her helicopter spin.

The cheat codes are also very entertaining. Whether it's simple ones like "WATER" which unlocks a special Banana Bird cave that gives you one shot at getting all the Bonus Coins at once.

Or there's "MERRY", a purely aesthetic cheat which makes each Bonus game Christmas based, complete with new music.

Or there's the truly masochistic "TUFST", which removes all DK and halfway Barrels. Persevere with that though and you can get a truly bragtastic 105%!

That said, Rocket Rush is still my least favourite level in the series. Truly unfair and unfun.

One more thing @S\.C\.G and anyone else who's thinking of trying PMD. Seeing as you'll no doubt play it some time in the future. Provided I haven't already spoiled it somehow...

Don't watch the intro to Explorers of Sky, it's chock full of spoilers!

The game kinda assumes you've played Explorers of Darkness/Time and it would be a shame to have some late game twists ruined before you've even started.

Edited by Glen-i

One thing that's really interesting about DKC3 that often goes overlooked is how almost each level is designed around an entierly unique gameplay gimmick that gets thrown away immediately after the level is done. Yeah, each level in a DKC (or Nintendo game in general for that matter) always introduces at least one new mechanic in each level and yes you had "gimmick" stages in previous DKC games like Castle Crush (DKC2) and Blackout Basement (DKC1), but in DKC 3? Basically every level is a gimmick level!

There's a ridiculous amount of mechanics in DKC3's levels that only get used the once. Be it lighting strikes, low gravity, speed run racing, double sided tobbagan tubes, evil Superscope cursors taking potshots at you, or fish that need constant feeding, less they snack on you... It's actually a lot like Mario Galaxy in that regard!

Very unique for its time. In many respects, it actually laid the groundwork for Nintendo's more modern platformers.