NEurope
madeinbeats

Wii U VC

Is the first Advance Wars on the VC too? I never owned them back in the day but loved them when I borrowed them off a friend. Would love to play them again!

Is the first Advance Wars on the VC too? I never owned them back in the day but loved them when I borrowed them off a friend. Would love to play them again!

Indeed it is!

I don't see any reason why they couldn't let us choose. If there's a 60 hz version let us in the UK and Ireland pick it if we want. It's not like the games are shipped all around Europe. They're games sitting on a server. And for games with multiple languages with 50 hz and 60 hz versions what's the reasoning for picking 50 hz?

Edit: Australia and New Zealand should get the choice too.

You're completely right, it's absolutely baffling.

It can't honestly be that hard to add an extra page on the eShop saying something like...

This game is also available in 60Hz, please select the version you would like to download.

Please note that the 60 Hz version only has an English (and French, if it applies) language option.

Make equivalent pages for each language the eShop supports and there, simple! Done! Everyone wins!

Yeah it was one of the first titles for the GBA if memory serves.

Paper Mario anyone?

VC Weekly

content-4-34386-5.jpg

I really hope I managed to do the game justice this time.

: peace:

Lovely review there. Sums up nicely what makes Paper Mario such a memorable RPG.

Can't wait to play through it for the...

I've lost count of how many times I've played this, to be frank!

I bought OOT yesterday. Once again there is flickering on the gamepad screen. Dunno what the hell is going on with the N64 games but it's only those that do it. I swear it has something to do with the stupid dark filter they have slapped on the games.

How come the media haven't question why this filter is on in the first place? I would love to hear what kind of spin is spouted to explain such as decision.

I bought OOT yesterday. Once again there is flickering on the gamepad screen. Dunno what the hell is going on with the N64 games but it's only those that do it. I swear it has something to do with the stupid dark filter they have slapped on the games.

How come the media haven't question why this filter is on in the first place? I would love to hear what kind of spin is spouted to explain such as decision.

The filter is there in order to replicate the original N64 hardware's dulled video output. The physical hardware would never output a pure image originally, just like with the NES, the DAC chip inside it would end up dulling the overall image when it generates the video signal that is sent out to the TV.

I don't know anything about the flickering though, I've not seen it myself, but I assume that it must be a PAL 50hz issue since it doesn't happen with SM64 (I didn't buy OoT or Paper Mario because, you know... 50hz...)

The filter is there in order to replicate the original N64 hardware's dulled video output. The physical hardware would never output a pure image originally, just like with the NES, the DAC chip inside it would end up dulling the overall image when it generates the video signal that is sent out to the TV.

I don't know anything about the flickering though, I've not seen it myself, but I assume that it must be a PAL 50hz issue since it doesn't happen with SM64 (I didn't buy OoT or Paper Mario because, you know... 50hz...)

I've seen comparison shots on Gaf and the original N64 games are lighter. When you use the save anywhere feature, the pic it gives is the lighter version yet it outputs the darker one. Someone showed a comparison of Paper Mario, where the whites are all grey on the VC versions yet the original version is indeed white.

Actually, I could check this myself, seeing as I have the N64 original and now the Wii U one. I may in fact do this over the weekend and see what the crack is.

Kirby 64 had the flickering as well ( I think that was the US version ) so i don't think it's a 50hz issue. Hopefully my mate will snap up a N64 game soon and then I can go around his and check his gamepad. I don't think it's my pad though, otherwise it would do it for every game I play on it, and not just the N64 stuff.

Nintendo need to realise that perhaps we don't NEED it to be authentic if it means we get better visual quality. Sure, go for authenticity in terms of how it played/ran, but not with graphics. Better fidelity is better than adding crappy filters

See when I'm playing Paper Mario I don't notice so much of a difference, there doesn't seem to be flickering on the gamepad but the dark filter is definitely noticeable, I wouldn't mind if we were given the option to turn it off, I can understand wanting to make it look faithful to the original hardware but if we can have even further improved image quality simply by turning a filter off then I'd rather have that.

What I did notice however was that when grabbing my screens from Miiverse they came across as looking very dark on miiverse so I had to adjust the image quality for my reviews because it just didn't look right...

You must have JavaScript enabled on your device to view Miiverse posts that have been embedded in a website. View post in Miiverse

PaperMarioimage3.jpg

Now I'm not even sure which I prefer. :heh:

It just seemed to make sense to adjust them slightly because the images seemed darker than when I was playing the game. ::shrug:

I've seen comparison shots on Gaf and the original N64 games are lighter. When you use the save anywhere feature, the pic it gives is the lighter version yet it outputs the darker one. Someone showed a comparison of Paper Mario, where the whites are all grey on the VC versions yet the original version is indeed white.

Actually, I could check this myself, seeing as I have the N64 original and now the Wii U one. I may in fact do this over the weekend and see what the crack is.

Kirby 64 had the flickering as well ( I think that was the US version ) so i don't think it's a 50hz issue. Hopefully my mate will snap up a N64 game soon and then I can go around his and check his gamepad. I don't think it's my pad though, otherwise it would do it for every game I play on it, and not just the N64 stuff.

That comparison was probably not taken from an actual N64. Luckily enough, I just happen to have my N64 hooked up to a capture device! Lucky you! :D

Here's a quickie comparison...

N64 NTSC (please excuse the banding and colour bleeding, I'm using composite as I don't have an S-video cable for my N64 - but since brightness is what we're looking at, it shouldn't matter too much here)

Stuff%20Screenshot%202015-07-03%2009-15-23_zpsrhbkguws.png

Wii U VC

MlWA77v4i3YIvHDMx7

and a PC emulator screenshot

Super%20Mario%20Star%20Revenge%202%20(demo)-3.jpg

As you can see, a real N64 does not output pure white, but rather a somewhat dull grey. When viewing a game on a CRT (the type of display that these games were originally designed for) as well, you'll typically find the image appears duller than on an LCD, so that also accounts for some of the difference.

Edited by Dcubed

No offence but I'll check the difference myself over the weekend. I'll plug it in and simply switch between channels to see if one is darker than the other.

Wasn't there the theory that these colours were dulled due to epilepsy constraints implemented since then?

Wasn't there the theory that these colours were dulled due to epilepsy constraints implemented since then?

They've done that with a few games, but usually on a case by case basis. I know that they toned down the colours and effects in Super Mario RPG for instance with certain attacks as well as the cannon flash effect in Secret of Mana on the Wii VC.

Typically though they don't turn down the brightness on the game itself to prevent epilepsy, but rather it's with certain visual effects. Interestingly enough, with Earthbound in particular they actually added a per-pixel motion blur effect to one of the PK abilities to try and prevent seizures; that was an unusual one!

The colour dulling is done moreso as a means of replicating the way that the original consoles/handhelds would output video. And with the GBA it's done as a means of restoring the intended colour balance, since the games were originally designed with the original model GBA's dark screen in mind.

No offence but I'll check the difference myself over the weekend. I'll plug it in and simply switch between channels to see if one is darker than the other.

If you can, try and compare the two with the N64 hooked up to a CRT and the Wii U hooked up to an LCD HDTV. The difference should be even less pronounced than when comparing direct feed captures because of the way that CRTs output duller images than LCDs.

Edited by Dcubed

I've had a play around with the Wii U/N64 comparison using OOT as a test. While the Wii U one is obviously smoother, the N64 version is lighter, but not much. However, when comparing the gamepad to the N64 the difference is massive. The gamepad screen is much darker than what the N64 is outputting, even when the gamepad brightness is cranked up to 11.

A guy on Gaf has made this pretty cool comparison video, showing all the different ports of the game.

In other news, playing OOT using the gamepad is a nightmare. Trying to play ocarina tunes by using the right stick is so inaccurate. I had the same issue with playing DK64, with moves getting done by accident because the right stick doesn't replicate the c-buttons very well at all.

I don't understand why Nintendo had to make white gray. I can't see anything in VC games. Add to that their ridiculous price and I'll happily continue playing on emulators or the real things. My N64 is Japanese and supports S-video and the image is very good.

I remember that Zelda 2's rereleases, on Gamecube and otherwise, have removed some possibly dangerous effects like the rapidly flashing death screen.

Edited by Miharin

Megaman Battle Network 4: Blue Moon

Megaman Battle Network 4: Red Sun

Looks like that wasn't everything!

eShop just updated and alongside Mario & Luigi Partners in Time and Pokepark Wii, we also have Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo Revival (GBA) and Final Fight One (GBA) as well this week!

Well that was a nice surprise :)

eShop just updated and alongside Mario & Luigi Partners in Time and Pokepark Wii, we also have Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo Revival (GBA) and Final Fight One (GBA) as well this week!

PokéPark Wii is the best of the lot :p

Hmm, so I suppose this is the best version of Final Fight currently available for a Nintendo system? It was the first game I bought for my original GBA back in the day! Am very keen to have it again, but (like so many GBA Virtual Console games) might wait until it's on handheld.

Please can we have Double Dragon Advance though? I'm desperate for that one!

haggar-piledriver.gif

Hmm, so I suppose this is the best version of Final Fight currently available for a Nintendo system? It was the first game I bought for my original GBA back in the day! Am very keen to have it again, but (like so many GBA Virtual Console games) might wait until it's on handheld.

I adore Final Fight. Much better than Streets of Rage. I used to play it constantly with my brother when we went to Blackpool for our holidays. Yup, even as a kid I was playing videogames in the arcades, instead of spending time outside. :)

I remember buying the GBA version on release day and then being bummed out at how I had paid full price for a very short game. :D

You know what? He's not far off actually (PIT is still much better of course). Pokepark is a surprisingly decent little game!

It's much better than you'd first think. For all of those pining for a game where you get to run around as Pokemon and fight like in the anime, give it a shot! It's a fun little game, if very repetitive; play it in short bursts. It won't blow you away or anything, but it's surprisingly decent.

haggar-piledriver.gif

I adore Final Fight. Much better than Streets of Rage. I used to play it constantly with my brother when we went to Blackpool for our holidays. Yup, even as a kid I was playing videogames in the arcades, instead of spending time outside. :)

I remember buying the GBA version on release day and then being bummed out at how I had paid full price for a very short game. :D

Heh, same. Always loved the arcades, always was the number 1 thing I'd look forward to when going to the seaside!

Shame that they're so rare these days (there are a few really good ones still if you are willing to travel a bit - Heart of Gaming here in London is particularly good!)

Edited by Dcubed
Automerged Doublepost

You know what? He's not far off actually (PIT is still better of course). Pokepark is a surprisingly decent little game!

It's much better than you'd first think. For all of those pining for a game where you get to run around as Pokemon and fight like in the anime, give it a shot! It's a fun little game!

Heh, same. Always loved the arcades, always was the number 1 thing I'd look forward to when going to the seaside!

Shame that they're so rare these days (there are a few really good ones still if you are willing to travel a bit - Heart of Gaming here in London is particularly good!)

I'd say the second is better, though. Less focus on mini-games, more on the action/adventure element. And, the battle system in that is amazing.