NEurope
madeinbeats

Wii U VC

I don't even know what it is. Graphics look a bit meh.
144b76A.gif

What is it with you and dissin the graphics from some of my favorite games? :heh:

First Super Mario Kart, now Pop n' Twinbee!

Both of which are beautiful looking games. ::shrug: Do you just hate the SNES?

You're thinking of Mother 3.

Which is nothing short of a masterpiece, by the way.

Ah, I thought all of them had it. ::shrug:

Japan is getting Golden Sun: The Lost Age next week so confirms we should be getting it at some point, although I'm pretty sure we're behind on GBA titles, unsurprisingly.

SEGA not ruling out Wii U Virtual Console releases

Clarifying some words from last week, Sega have released an official statement in regards to the claims made by producer Yosuke Okunari last week on Twitter. Okunari claimed that Sega games were not in the cards for Wii U Virtual Console, but a Sega representative has come out and said the following on the matter:

"Sega would like to clarify a statement that was issued over Twitter. All options are currently on the table concerning development for the Wii U Virtual Console. Although there are no immediate plans, this does not negate the possibility and exploration of creating for this platform".

http://nintendoeverything.com/sega-not-ruling-out-wii-u-virtual-console-releases/

I don't even know what it is. Graphics look a bit meh.

Yeah but Blade, you look a bit meh but your mrs still enjoys your company! :p

Love you really!

Japan is getting Golden Sun: The Lost Age next week so confirms we should be getting it at some point, although I'm pretty sure we're behind on GBA titles, unsurprisingly.

Sweet! Been wanting to get back into that for a while after finishing Golden Sun VC.

As should've been obvious from the get-go...

Of course they're not gonna rule it out when it's basically free money for them.

It's just a matter of what resources are currently available at M2 (and considering that they're currently busy with the GBA, TG16 and MSX Wii U VC and the SEGA 3D Classics, it might be a while before we see them tackle the SEGA consoles on the Wii U...)

Sorry to keep you waiting...

;)

VC Weekly 300

content-4-34080-10.jpg

I hope you enjoy reading it as much as I enjoyed writing it.

And as always, any comments or suggestions for improvement are always welcome.

: peace:

Did @S\.C\.G just encourage us to cheat on Pokemon Trading Card Game?

It was an enjoyable read and congrats on reaching 300. (Despite me only starting to read them at about #290 when I joined)

It was an enjoyable read and congrats on reaching 300. (Despite me only starting to read them at about #290 when I joined)

Yes he did (shame on you!) but let's be honest, suspend saves don't really make it any easier because we all used to cheat by saving right before a battle anyway ;) (and as SGC rightfully pointed out, the coin flip system is partially pre-determined so save state scumming doesn't really work here :p )

BTW, agree wholeheartedly with his Pop N' Twinbee review. Really fun and whimsical little classic! : peace: Though I think it's a shame that he doesn't mention the "couple" mode - which I think is a little stroke of genius (basically it sets the AI to only go after player 1 and leave, the presumably less experienced, player 2 alone to help out player 1 in relative safety; brilliant little innovation that I'm shocked has never, to my knowledge, been copied by any other game!)

Edited by Dcubed

In these VC games I always use that save feature.

I can't play these retro games without it! Too difficult!

Not what I was expecting! Hmm... Never played a MMBN game before... Shall I take the plunge?

BTW, this is the first time MM6 has ever been released on consoles in Europe (the 3DS VC release was its first actual EU release period!)

Yes he did (shame on you!) but let's be honest, suspend saves don't really make it any easier because we all used to cheat by saving right before a battle anyway ;) (and as SGC rightfully pointed out, the coin flip system is partially pre-determined so save state scumming doesn't really work here :p )

I've been messing around with save states in that game to test how random the game is.

It turns out it's not.

You always start a match with the same hand (might need to test that one some more, might depend which point you reload the save state). The AI will always make the same moves unless you make drastic changes (switching out etc).

Coin flips don't even seem to be partially pre-determined. They seem to be determined ahead of time at some point. You can manipulate the coin flip to an extent by using a trainer card or anything else that triggers a coin flip but you can't seem to alter the outcome of the same coin flip.

I've been messing around with save states in that game to test how random the game is.

It turns out it's not.

You always start a match with the same hand (might need to test that one some more, might depend which point you reload the save state). The AI will always make the same moves unless you make drastic changes (switching out etc).

Coin flips don't even seem to be partially pre-determined. They seem to be determined ahead of time at some point. You can manipulate the coin flip to an extent by using a trainer card or anything else that triggers a coin flip but you can't seem to alter the outcome of the same coin flip.

I think that the hand is determined as soon as the match begins. As for the coin flip, you're right. The next outcome (be it heads or tails) is always pre-determined - You can take advantage of this to force your opponent to flip tails by saving, using a card that requires a coin flip to see what it will land on, reloading and letting your opponent flip the coin to get the result you know you got before. Personally I'd rather not spread that info around much though because it really does completely destroy the game (I would NEVER use it myself, sucks all the fun out of the game completely)

It's really weird playing around with save states in general and using it to destroy a game's illusion of randomness. So much of a game's makeup (and indeed fun factor) all depends on maintaining that illusion... NES Remix is another good place where you can see the effects of this as it relies on save states for almost all of its challenges (notice how enemies in these challenges always move exactly the same way every single time?)

Wario Ware DIY really goes out of its way to teach the player the importance of generating randomness in their games as well. Without it, most games lose so much of what makes them special... (I would never want to know how randomness works in the Mario Party games - just imagine how much the experience would be destroyed if you knew how the randomness worked and how to manipulate it...)

Edited by Dcubed

Well, that wasn't exactly my intention but yes... I suppose I inadvertently did. :blush: But... it's the frustrating 'luck' element that made me do it. :sad:

However I will add that I would only resort to it after legitimately losing a battle around five times over. :heh:

Yes he did (shame on you!) but let's be honest, suspend saves don't really make it any easier because we all used to cheat by saving right before a battle anyway ;) (and as SCG rightfully pointed out, the coin flip system is partially pre-determined so save state scumming doesn't really work here :p )

BTW, agree wholeheartedly with his Pop N' Twinbee review. Really fun and whimsical little classic! : peace: Though I think it's a shame that he doesn't mention the "couple" mode - which I think is a little stroke of genius (basically it sets the AI to only go after player 1 and leave, the presumably less experienced, player 2 alone to help out player 1 in relative safety; brilliant little innovation that I'm shocked has never, to my knowledge, been copied by any other game!)

Yes it only works to a degree and I do agree with you that I wouldn't want to do it all the time in order to break down the game completely, just every now and then. ;)

Also thanks for mentioning the couple mode, I knew there was something else I was going to add but would forget! It was in my original notes as well but I forgot to include it, doh!

I have amended it now though which you'll see reflected in the review but here is quote for simplicity. : peace:

'also worthy of note is the 'couple' mode which makes the enemies attack just the first player mainly while leaving the second - presumably less experienced - player alone, making it easier for them to just enjoy the game but at the same time still feeling like they are doing something, it's rather brilliant and completely unique to this game alone and while it's not something that I've found need for personally I can see how it could prove popular with certain players.'

Thanks for the honest and positive feedback though everyone, I genuinely appreciate it and I'm open to making changes in the interests of keeping VC Weekly up to date; I've already made new, improved templates for the images in this edition to make it easier to include my own images - which I'll try to do more often - from Miiverse or ones from other users assuming that they don't mind.

In fact now that I have the templates all set up if anyone here wants me to include one of their screenshots of VC games in an edition of VC Weekly then post a link to the original Miiverse post and I'll try to include it. :D

Not that I'm trying to get you all to do the image work for me ;) in most cases I'll be using my own if it's a game I haven't played before but it's just an idea for the games that I may have reviewed already and so probably won't be downloading again unless Nintendo supply a review code which is rare these days; plus it's a chance to get your screens featured, all properly credited of course. :awesome:

Just a thought anyway. :)

The more Yeahs, the better ;)

Wouldn't mind supplying some snaps from time to time :) (any excuse to take more cool or funny snaps of games for Miiverse is fine by me - hell I swear half my time is spent on looking for funny captionable "Miiverse Moments" in these games anyway :hehe: )

Edited by Dcubed

In fact now that I have the templates all set up if anyone here wants me to include one of their screenshots of VC games in an edition of VC Weekly then post a link to the original Miiverse post and I'll try to include it. :D

That's a great idea. I mean, I'm not able to post screenshots from my WiiU due to lack of internet. But for 3DS stuff, I'd love to try and find some funny pics!

Great more shitty megaman games.

Oh... You need to be careful with how you describe Mega Man games on the internet.

YOU. SHUT. UP. NOW.

Case in point. Get the popcorn out, guys!

6f6.gif

Edited by Glen-i

Great more shitty megaman games.

YOU. SHUT. UP. NOW.

YOU. SHUT. UP. NOW.

But they have crap graphics.

Although obviously not as bad as the original Metroid game. The bullets don't even reach the end of the screen in that! Unplayable.

For a NES game, I think the Mega Man games do a decent job with graphics.

That's a very harsh statement.

Although obviously not as bad as the original Metroid game. The bullets don't even reach the end of the screen in that! Unplayable.

Did you ever get the Long Beam?

Well now I know you're trolling me. Haha

Like I said earlier, you're no Brad Pitt but your mrs still likes you. :p

Is it weird that I like the Mega Man RPGs more than the main games? I'm not even a big RPG fan but I like the charm that they have :D Mega Man Battle Network 1 is OK but 2, 3 and 5 are way better. Stay away from 4. I can't remember what 6 was like... Same with Mega Man Star Force, 1 and 3 are good but 2 is not so good.