NEurope
madeinbeats

Wii U VC

I just want Super Tennis... :(

Oh and Super Smash TV... and Pro Wrestling... and Super Star Wars...

I just want Super Tennis... :(

Oh and Super Smash TV... and Pro Wrestling... and Super Star Wars...

Not sure if you already know this, but the entire SSW Trilogy is actually available right now on the Wii VC... (Wii Mode)

Not sure if you already know this, but the entire SSW Trilogy is actually available right now on the Wii VC... (Wii Mode)

I did not... interesting, will take a look!

I'm loving playing through A Link to the Past for the first time.

Just going through the 3rd dungeon and realised that Link has pink hair. What the fuck is all that about?

Great post! I love the 'pink hair' debate/issue.

Finished it very recently. I have it on my 3DS, surely that means I can download it for free on my Wii u right. Rigjt.

A recent Kotaku interview with Miyamoto asked a question regarding cross buy.

The topic of cross-buy with the Virtual Console was also raised, a tough issue for Nintendo as some are increasingly frustrated at the same games — in some cases — appearing on both 3DS and Wii U, yet requiring separate purchases. When asked if Nintendo will do things differently in future dual releases on the platform, Miyamoto-san simply said "I'll think about it".

How nice of him to think about it.

How come they can't do it now? The Wii U and 3DS are connected now in a way where they can see each other's purchases, aren't they?

The Wii U and 3DS are connected now in a way where they can see each other's purchases, aren't they?
Yes. Evidence #1: Pullblox/Fallblox ownership on 3DS automatically triggers limited-time 30% discount on Pullblox World on Wii U.

I should definitely be able to download and play Metroid Fusion for free on my Wii U...

Yes. Evidence #1: Pullblox/Fallblox ownership on 3DS automatically triggers limited-time 30% discount on Pullblox World on Wii U.

Yeah, that's what I thinking but couldn't remember the actual offer.

So if the devices can read purchases from each other and games get released on both devices, then why isn't cross buy in place yet?

Probably because it's not a matter of whether it's possible or not, but rather if they want to do it or not.

emulation on the Wii U and 3ds are different, so each title represents work in it's own right. So I can understand the link between 3ds and wii U not = free game on one console if purchased on the other.

However, the pull blox example seems ok, although maybe increase the price reduction. then once they have made platforms more uniform (they did say next handheld will be based on Wii U os right?) they should introduce it being free. It does limit them being able to release retro titles, but then maybe the next step would be remakes.

There's nothing technically stopping them from offering the same crossbuy deal as what Sony do... Nintendo just choose not to do it.

In regards to VC crossbuy VS PS1 PSN Classics crossbuy, that IS different because of how the two services approach emulation (basically VC = per game emulation, while PS1 emulation = system wide - the latter is much more expensive to do than the former but is much more accurate as a result).

Still, they could very well offer the same kind of offer if they wanted to, but I don't think it'll happen until the next generation where their handheld and console will both be sharing the same architecture derived from Wii U (making them both capable of running Wii U VC games as they are with no extra dev work required). Doing it now wouldn't be worth it to them because of the costs involved in developing the VC releases for each system seperately.

There's nothing technically stopping them from offering the same crossbuy deal as what Sony do... Nintendo just choose not to do it.

In regards to VC crossbuy VS PS1 PSN Classics crossbuy, that IS different because of how the two services approach emulation (basically VC = per game emulation, while PS1 emulation = system wide - the former is much more expensive to do than the latter but is much more accurate as a result).

Still, they could very well offer the same kind of offer if they wanted to, but I don't think it'll happen until the next generation where their handheld and console will both be sharing the same architecture derived from Wii U (making them both capable of running Wii U VC games as they are with no extra dev work required). Doing it now wouldn't be worth it to them because of the costs involved in developing the VC releases for each system seperately.

Still, if 3rd parties want to do it for their games, there should be nothing stopping them from doing so...

Edited by Dcubed
Automerged Doublepost

Hey! Here's something that would no doubt interest @Serebii

Game Freak's Quinty/Mendal Palace is getting a Wii U VC release in Japan!

http://www.bandainamcogames.co.jp/cs/download/wiiu_virtual_console/

pic-quinty.jpg

This will be the first time that this game has ever been re-released! :D

Hopefully it heads westward as well... though it may be a bit more complicated here as Hudson (who are now owned by Konami) did the publishing duties over here originally...

Still, if 3rd parties want to do it for their games, there should be nothing stopping them from doing so...

How funny I should say that last week...

cross-buydzs7u.png

As I said before, the infrastructure is already there if they wanted to do it, they just choose not to because of the costs involved with how they do their emulation for the VC.

Next gen will be a different story though...

BTW, on an unrelated topic; I've been on a GCN nostalgia fest over the last few days (MKDD!! and Pikmin 2 = :heart: ) and now I'm REALLY itching for GCN games to hit the Wii U VC!

Hope they announce it sooner rather than later... I'm in the mood to see it happen RIGHT NOW!

Honestly, I wouldn't mind paying a small "upgrade fee" (make it optional for those who own both consoles) if it allowed cross buy to cover the additional development costs. However, I can't see development for NES games (seeing as they would be the only games that will be able to be played on both consoles, unless Nintendo bring GB games to Wii U) being that expensive that this point.

Edit: This week's VC game is Adventure Island.

WOOT! Pop n' Twinbee is coming this week! At last! We're finally getting into the rest of Konami's un-rereleased catalogue! :D

While everyone may be gushing over Pokemon TCG finally hitting the 3DS VC, I'm probably more excited for this one. Always wanted to play it! :D

WOOT! Pop n' Twinbee is coming this week! At last! We're finally getting into the rest of Konami's un-rereleased catalogue! :D

While everyone may be gushing over Pokemon TCG finally hitting the 3DS VC, I'm probably more excited for this one. Always wanted to play it! :D

I'm surprised you've never played it. You're in for a right treat! :D

I'm surprised you've never played it. You're in for a right treat! :D

I haven't played any of the SNES Twinbee games and from what I hear, this is one of the very best in the series! (Not to mention that I'm a sucker for classic Konami shooters and All-Things-Cute in general :) )

Can't wait! :D

I haven't played any of the SNES Twinbee games and from what I hear, this is one of the very best in the series! (Not to mention that I'm a sucker for classic Konami shooters and All-Things-Cute in general :) )

Can't wait! :D

Yeah, it's an amazing game. Me and mates all loved it to bits when we were kids.

I can't believe we are getting this and Pokemon on the same day! :yay:

Nice to see that Capcom isn't letting up on the VC releases :D

Hope we get the GBA version of Super Ghouls n' Ghosts soon. Always wanted to try that crazy arrange mode!

Pop n Twinbee is amazing. Everyone must buy it.

I've never heard of Onimusha Tactics but seeing the word tactics is enough to make me curious. Bring it.

Japan is getting Kunio-Kun no Dodge Ball Dayo Zenin Shuugo!, Super Mario Advance and Kuru Kuru Kururin next week.

I wonder if the US will actually get the EU version of KKKururin this time... That would be pretty awesome to see :) (oh and KKKururin Paradise in Europe would be nice too NOE ;) Hell, you could even probably get away with releasing it untranslated even, given how little text is in the game...)

Considering what @Wii has just posted about Sega, it's a bit of a shame you can't access Wii Mode with the Wii U GamePad (or other traditional controller). I have a few Sega games on the Wii Virtual Console and I can't see myself being able to play them again now.

As if the Wii U Virtual Console wasn't bleak enough already.. :indeed:

News like this makes me appreciate the Wii so much more and how awesome the Virtual Console actual was back then. The original Wii with GC controller ports gave us access to a vast library of games from every Nintendo home console at the time along with classics from the Sega Mega Drive, amongst others, so the current situation with Wii U is extremely poor :nono: