NEurope
Retro_Link

Yoshi's NEW Island

I'm in World 4 now and am really not seeing why people hate on this game. It's not bad at all. Some bits are even challenging for me, a veteran gamer.

I played a few levels of this last night. I thought it was quite bland and got bored, so I put Titanfall on for some fun.

I died 5 times on 1 level and a weird pipe thing came and threw wings at me . Have I messed up a possible star completion like in the mario games ?

100%'d world 1 before moving on, quite a challenge to get all the collectables. Quite enjoying it so far.

F**k you 2-S, finally 100%'d it after what feels like a thousand attempts.

Just finished it

What's with the Cosmic Mario at the end???

Does the game feature Fuzzy at any point? OokIcqB.gif

cTHGYTW.gif

Does the game feature Fuzzy at any point? OokIcqB.gif

cTHGYTW.gif

I've not actually spotted one. Going to go back through and get the special levels open shortly, though. They could be in there

I've not actually spotted one. Going to go back through and get the special levels open shortly, though. They could be in there
That's criminal if it's not in there. :nono:

Keep us posted.

Touching Fuzzy and getting dizzy in 3D would be so awesome. :D

That's criminal if it's not in there. :nono:

Keep us posted.

Touching Fuzzy and getting dizzy in 3D would be so awesome. :D

That could be why it's not in it :p

Listening to the OST for this gives me fond memories of the original.

I was sat at the piano tonight (with a few beers) and, well, Yoshi's Island on the SNES happened...

I recorded it as I thought some of you may appreciate the vibes. ( Especially @RedShell )

http://soundcloud.com/mark-a-lee2/yoshimix/s-VS2cJ

oh-no-ive-gone-cross-eyed.png

Like when I looked at your avatar... :heh:

Edited by tapedeck
Automerged Doublepost

Listening to the OST for this gives me fond memories of the original.

I was sat at the piano tonight (with a few beers) and, well, Yoshi's Island on the SNES happened...

I recorded it as I thought some of you may appreciate the vibes. ( Especially @RedShell )

http://soundcloud.com/mark-a-lee2/yoshimix/s-VS2cJ

Beautiful. :bowdown:

On the subject of Yoshi and piano, everyone needs to check this out (pretty sure I've posted this before, but it can't be posted enough IMO :hehe:):

For those that weren't familiar, he's a Ragtime pianist called Tom Brier and there are loads of vids on that channel of him sight-reading various VG tunes. It's pretty incredible. :cool:

:laughing:

One week later and Worlds 1 - 3 are 100% complete. Enjoying this much more than anticipated. The general platforming is run of the mill, but completing a level 100% by finding all Starmen, Red Coins and Flowers is where I get the most fun out of the game, and this even offers a bit of a challenge at some points. The soundtrack isn't that bad either, apart from the irritating abomination that is the title screen track!

One week later and Worlds 1 - 3 are 100% complete. Enjoying this much more than anticipated. The general platforming is run of the mill, but completing a level 100% by finding all Starmen, Red Coins and Flowers is where I get the most fun out of the game, and this even offers a bit of a challenge at some points. The soundtrack isn't that bad either, apart from the irritating abomination that is the title screen track!

Glad I'm not the only one enjoying it :)

I loved your GTA pic on Miiverse. :D

I keep dipping into the game and it still fails to grab me. The whole thing just seems really glad and meh. There is a serious lack of challenge as well, even when going for all the stuff.

On the original SNES game you had to do perfect runs to get a 100 score at the end of each stage. On this one you can pick your battles though. You can try and get all of the collectables in one run or you can do multiple runs and say get all the coins the first time, which ticks that box as done, and then get flowers and stars the next time.

Another thing I'm not keen on is just how random some of the stars are hidden. Again, in the original game, you kind of had hints as to where the hidden clouds would be. Not blatant arrow pointing or anything, just the way the level layout was but in this one it just seems completely random and it's as if the developers just threw them in randomly.

The soundtrack is pretty bad a and forgettable though. I actually listened to both the original and new one back to back while I was at work yesterday and the difference in quality is night and day.

I'll continue to plug away at it though. I wouldn't say it's a disappointing experience, as I never had much hype/hope for the game anyway.

My sister bought me this for my Birthday a few weeks back and I have been playing it the last couple of days.

I am quite enjoying it.

It reminds me (very loosely) of Super Princess Peach, only no where near as good. Just in the sense that it's not too challenging (generally), and though it's still very much like another Mario 2d platformer, the art style, play style and mechanics are enough to keep it fresh and 'different'.

I really like the art style, the game just looks fantastic in parts.

The boss battles are also quite good too!

Didn't have much down for the game when I started it but it's definitely better than I imagined.

Although, I do have to immediately play something a little more exciting straight after I've finished a play session on it. :heh:

This game is definitely suited to bed time playing! :laughing:

As I mentioned in another thread, I've played a few more levels in Yoshi's New Island during the last couple of days and it's probably safe to say that I've found it arather uninspiring so far..

Some of you may already be aware of my lack of any real affection towards the original Yoshi's Island, but I think I had convinced myself that I hadn't really been touoching this because I was holding it back for whenever I'd eventually get the New 3DS. That's probably partially true, but given that I'm nearing the end of World 2 and can't actually remember any stand out moments up until this point, it seems suitable to deduce that it just isn't that exciting :hmm:

I hope it will at least get a little more fun, and I'm sure I'll clear it, but I certainly wouldn't be holding back on playing it if it was something special :heh:

I mentioned that I was near the end of World 2 four days ago, but it's now over :heh:

I beat the final boss this evening and I'd say that's probably me done with the game. Like the original and Yoshi's Island DS, there's no desire to hunt down all the stars, flowers and red coins. I generally love going after everything in Mario's adventures but there's not enough enjoyment for me in the series to want to see everything :hmm:

One of my main complaints is that I dislike things being invisible and only becoming apparent when you get lucky enough to move through that part of the screen. It's bad enough that the red coins are disguised, meaning that you basically have to collect EVERY coin, but when the little clouds with the question marks are completely hidden from view, it's just irritating :nono: I know there are plenty of occasions where you can probably guess where they are going to be, but I certainly stumbled upon a good few where it made me wonder just how frustrating it would actually be having to go through the levels looking to uncover these things!

This sort of thing has crept into the New Super Mario Bros series, with areas hidden behind walls, but it's certainly tolerable in comparison to Yoshi's Island.

There's a thread in 'General Gaming' which questions whether a game needs to be memorable or not.. and this game definitely won't be. It's was OK, but at least the SNES original had me humming some of its tunes, even to this day :heh: The music in this, as highlighted by many others, is pretty awful!

In all honesty, I'd probably feel a little hard done by if I'd spent any considerable money on it but a huge stroke of fortune meant I got a physical copy of Super Smash Bros for 3DS and digital download of Yoshi's New Island for a grand total of £6. I certainly can't be disappointed with that, and now that I get a little older and life is gathering pace, I start to wonder if it'll be good to have this game tucked away on my 3DS for any future children to help cut their platforming teeth :indeed: