NEurope
Retro_Link

Yoshi's NEW Island

What the hell is going on with some of the music?! :shakehead

, which makes this even more perplexing. :blank:

Dear lord, he is actually terrible at this game lol

ShopTo have started processing mine :D

Keep forgetting this is out this week. Shopto have started processing my order. I have a photo of the package but it still says processing and I haven't had a shipping email so not sure if it's been shipped or not. Used some points so only getting it for £14 (Side note: I'm liking Shopto's new reward scheme).

Shouldn't the reviews be out by now?

I think the embargo ends on Thursday.

My copy from GAME started processing yesterday. It will be interesting to see if I get the preorder bonus or not.

The price has dropped a little on Amazon so I'm really interested to hear some impressions as I have enough Gift Card balance to get it.. if it's worth it :heh:

First time in a long time I've give this little a shit about a Nintendo game. A combination of too many platformers, and it looking too dull. Definite bargain bin purchase!

First time in a long time I've give this little a shit about a Nintendo game. A combination of too many platformers, and it looking too dull. Definite bargain bin purchase!

Problem is that with it being a Nintendo published game it may never reach those bargain basement prices.

From what I've heard, aside from gyro issues, what this game does isn't new, but it's done well.

Odd that mine's not posted and is still processing. Will be the first time in a while that ShopTo hasn't got me something before launch.

From what I've heard, aside from gyro issues, what this game does isn't new, but it's done well.

Odd that mine's not posted and is still processing. Will be the first time in a while that ShopTo hasn't got me something before launch.

They've still got just under an hour and 10 minutes to ship it. Noticed my photo of the package was taken early Monday morning.

Edit: Still not shipped. Panic!

Edited by Ike

They've still got just under an hour and 10 minutes to ship it. Noticed my photo of the package was taken early Monday morning.

Edit: Still not shipped. Panic!

Shipped this morning. Think ShopTo's preorder priority was Titanfall and Dark Souls

Shipped this morning. Think ShopTo's preorder priority was Titanfall and Dark Souls

Titanfall still hasn't been shipped yet as they were under orders to hold the game until today.

I don't think so. They've been sitting on the packed orders since Monday, they could have gotten them out already.

Should arrive on launch day so doesn't really matter, it's just a bit unusual for Shopto.

Edit: Apparently it's already on the eShop?

Edited by Ike

I'm wondering if my order from Game will turn up today. I didn't get an email saying it was shipped and it doesn't appear in my order history. I asked on live chat what the deal was and he said it was shipped on Tuesday. Guess i'll see what happens once I get home...

I don't think so. They've been sitting on the packed orders since Monday, they could have gotten them out already.

Should arrive on launch day so doesn't really matter, it's just a bit unusual for Shopto.

Edit: Apparently it's already on the eShop?

Just checked. It's not on the eShop

Despite getting the shipping notice this morning, it just arrived.

I take back everything I've said about the graphics. The style actually works. Music could be a bit better

anymore reviews yet? that edge score is worrying, i avoided Yoshi's island DS because it was considered bad, this is lower scoring

Embargo ends in 6 minutes.

Expect mediocre reviews. So many just focus on games that are either AAA or do something new. This isn't it.

From what I've played so far, it's well crafted and the graphical style does work, but it's not an amazing game. Good, but not amazing.

Yikes! 4/10 from Eurogamer. NintendoLife gave it just 5/10. Lots of 7s flying around from various other sites though.

Edited by Hero-of-Time

US Gamer - 4/5

No, Yoshi's New Island may not be the game we fans of the original want, but it's definitely the game its creators set out to make. And a lot of fun, too. It's hard to be cynical about that.

GameXplain - 4/5

IGN - 7.9/10

Yoshi’s New Island’s inconsistent art and tacked-on new ideas are all layered on top of the same strong platforming and level design that made the original great. This deep understanding of pacing and flow helps Yoshi’s latest adventure stand out as the best iteration on Yoshi since the SNES original. Even if I wanted to play with the sound turned off.

Polygon - 7.5/10

Yoshi's New Island earns its place in a classic series. By the time I was done with Yoshi's New Island, I was mimicking the cutesy sound effects — they had so successfully wormed their way into my brain — and looking forward to the chance to perfect earlier stages. Yoshi's New Island won me over early, and it kept me going even when I started to suffer from a touch of platformer fatigue. Its sense of humor and experimental streak keep the game fresh throughout, and allow Yoshi to stand apart, even in a crowded season for Nintendo's core properties. There's always room for cute — especially when it's this smart.

Escapist/Jim Sterling - 3/5

Yoshi's New Island is a solid little platformer, but it struggles to be much more than that. It will, at least, kill a few hours of time, even if that time will hardly be remembered afterwards.

Nintendo Insider - 7/10

It is through a lack of surprise that Yoshi’s New Island disappoints, feeling more like a predictable paint by numbers than being full of the daring innovation that we have so readily seen in Nintendo’s recent output. That may stem from wanting to remain true to the original, but results in a half-baked experience that unfortunately never flutter-jumps enough to get off the ground for long enough to begin fulfilling its clear potential.

Venture Beat - 7/10

As a whole, it’s not as good as the original game. It’s merely solid, and it is also evidence that Nintendo should probably stop trying to recapture the 19-year-old magic.

Gaming-Age - C+

By the end of the game I found Yoshi’s New Island to be a mixed bag. The parts where you’re actively playing the game and aren’t shoe-horned into silly gyroscope control gimmicks are legitimately fun. But most of the presentation surrounding that gameplay is bland, poorly executed, or downright bad. There’s enough merit to the stage designs and standard controls that make this something worth playing, but not in that must-have day one way that tends to mark a quality Nintendo release.

Giant Bomb - 3/5

At its core, Yoshi's New Island is not a bad game. This is an acceptable, middle-of-the-road platformer, and one that I had an OK time with. But it's not particularly memorable until it's ready to say goodbye, and you're given a fleeting, tantalizing glimpse into the game that might have been.

CVG - 6/10

It's just so disappointing to play a Nintendo game that doesn't have any magic to it. Instead of that fresh, original SNES game with that beautiful hand-drawn look all those years ago, Yoshi's New Island feels more like painting by numbers.

Dutch FOK!games - 6/10

Nintendo Life - 5/10

The biggest problem with Yoshi’s New Island is that it feels stripped of the style, substance, and ingenuity that once made the series such treasured property. By watering down the game design and failing to incorporate new ideas that enhance the established mechanics in any meaningful way, you're left with an egg that's not necessarily bad, just dull and unimpressive. It’s completely functional and could serve as filler while waiting for the next big 3DS or Wii U release, but there’s little denying that it’s an underwhelming outing for Yoshi.

Gamespot - 5/10

Yoshi's New Island is a decent platformer, but it's also so forgettable that it won't leave you with any lasting memories.

Edge - 4/10

No one part of Yoshi’s New Island is ruinous by itself, but the sum is so much less than the 20-year-old parts from which it’s cobbled together. No one deserves to be duped by the Crayola box art into expecting a true sequel to a childhood-gulping adventure, which is still counted among the most innovative 16bit games of the mid-’90s. Arzest has laid an egg here, but not of the golden variety.

Eurogamer - 4/10

But on a console that has recently hosted more than one unlikely comeback, Yoshi's New Island is the slightest return so far. If it were a toy, you'd make sure you kept the receipt.

I'll give it a miss

Expect mediocre reviews. So many just focus on games that are either AAA or do something new. This isn't it.

Or maybe they just feel its not a good game.

Yikes! 4/10 from Eurogamer. NintendoLife gave it just 5/10. Lots of 7s flying around from various other sites though.

If they gave it a 5 then it really must be bad.

From what I can tell as the consensus, the gameplay is fine, the graphics are divisive, the music is crap and it just, which is humourous considering its name, doesn't bring anything new.