NEurope
Hero-of-Time

The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds

I used the translated name to make the point -_-

The Japanese name is ゼルダの伝説 神々のトライフォース2

Koji Kondo better be on the fucking music btw. So far I hear a lot of reused sound effects & music, trying to capture the same atmosphere as the original. If they want to nail the feel of the game, they need to take music seriously. Sad to say but I feel Nintendo skimp a bit on music production these days, so I hope they don't on this.

I used the translated name to make the point -_-

The Japanese name is ゼルダの伝説 神々のトライフォース2

That makes more sense but I still can't imagine it being anything other than placeholder - I thought they might have used the English name on the title card that follows the presentation like how ours said "Legend of Zelda(TEMP)" or whatever it read. Aside from Zelda II, I can't think of a time when a number has been used as an iteration identifier. Shibata and Reggie said it took place at the same time in the same world anyway - I didn't realise we were entertaining possiblities of it being an alternate timeline given they seemed to want avoid suggesting that.

The question remains though is it literally the same time or is it after the end - is this the restored Hyrule following Link acquiring the Triforce? The Mastersword was supposed to sleep forever so does that mean we don't get to use it this time? Is it generic Magical Sword time again? That's the only reason I could let them off for not using ALTTP spinning sword beam animation over that Magic Rod/Spell Book Hyrule Fantasy style thing in use in the trailer.

Well i for one am ecstatic about this! A link to the past is one of the best Zelda's (i'd argue its number 3 with WW being number 1 and MM no 2) and certainly the best 2d zelda imho

I actually like the idea that they go back to the classic and consistently good handheld 2d zelda games for a handheld

I love how tapestry link looked like the tapestry illustrations of Link from the opening of Wind Waker, its either a nice little easter egg or there could be a link :p

2 Zelda's in one year and another next year, i'm a happy chappy

Wind Waker better than Link To The Past?! Heresy.

Before I saw the trailer I noticed the gif of Link turning into a painting. Initial response "WHAT THE FUCK HAS THIS GOT TO DO WITH LINK TO THE PAST?!" But the rest of the trailer looked more acceptable.

I daresay the painting thing will play a part in the title.

Except the few bits they showed off of the overworld was identical right down to bush, stone and tree placements as the original.

They looked rather generic to me, which part of the world were they?

Top bit, east exit of Lost Woods. There were two lumberjacks cutting a tree. After you travel to the Dark World, you can then enter said tree

Wind Waker better than Link To The Past?! Heresy.

Before I saw the trailer I noticed the gif of Link turning into a painting. Initial response "WHAT THE FUCK HAS THIS GOT TO DO WITH LINK TO THE PAST?!" But the rest of the trailer looked more acceptable.

I daresay the painting thing will play a part in the title.

They looked rather generic to me, which part of the world were they?

It all takes place in almost the same area - he never covers more than two seperate in game screens from the original.

He starts at the Woodcutter brother house which is East of the Woods and he then moves down one screen which is where the entrace to the passage to Death Mountain is. You can see the three stones on the floor and the entrance on the wall. The floor slightly lowers and the have seveal trees in a U shape with the crows sitting in them as those are the only two areas shown. They just keep moving the camera around to confuse you.

lightworld-1-3.gif

lightworld-2-3.gif

Ok, perhaps I was a little strong with "identical" but for all intents and purposes it is. There are stones where there should be stones and trees where there should be trees and naturally the building and fence were in the right place as were the contours of the land and everything you saw of the overworld was taken from those two areas.

Oh, and agreed, it is heresay to claim any Zelda to be better than ALTTP, especially TWW.

Edited by Captain Falcon

Nah, Wind Waker trumps all I'm afraid, especially ALTTP :D

Why would they say word for word "it features a new storyline and entirely new dungeons" if the overworld was different to ALTTP.

I have to say given the amount of work and polish that went into Mario 3D Land, this game so far seems a bit lazy and half-arsed, just what Nintendo have been guilty of recently with their main IPs.

Edited by Ronnie

Nah, Wind Waker trumps all I'm afraid, especially ALTTP :D

We don't need your kind in here - go sit in the WW remake thread until you can show some respect ;)

I'm THIS close to suggesting I might even prefer Zelda II to ALTTP ;)

Dems fighting words.

To be honest, I'd probably find it easier to accept this claim than for you to say you preferred TWW to it.

LOVE IT!

Just downloaded the 3D trailer from the eShop... love the added depth and how they seem to have made the level design with that in mind.

Not bothered bout this having the same overworld as LttP... though I am wondering (I missed the ND, don't know if it was mentioned) but is this the same Link also from LttP? Or a different Link again?

Damn now my Hyrule Historia already feels out of date :(

Prolly in another 25 years they'll do a 2nd edition book, haha

I'm not gonna lie....Link to the Past is not even close to my Top 5 Zeldas. I just don't get it...don't enjoy it at all tried to play through it 3 times now and given up every time. Hate the graphical style of this too, stuck in some never region between wind waker/phantom hour glass/sprit tracks and 2D of old.

Clearly the 3rd best 2D Zelda out this year after the Oracles games.

Not bothered bout this having the same overworld as LttP... though I am wondering (I missed the ND, don't know if it was mentioned) but is this the same Link also from LttP? Or a different Link again?

My bets would be on same Hyrule, but enough time has passed so that the Overworld will have different features. Therefore, probably a different Link.

[sarcasm] And of course, classic LTTP Link had pink hair, so this is obviously a different one. [/sarcasm] :P

I'm not gonna lie....Link to the Past is not even close to my Top 5 Zeldas. I just don't get it...don't enjoy it at all tried to play through it 3 times now and given up every time. Hate the graphical style of this too, stuck in some never region between wind waker/phantom hour glass/sprit tracks and 2D of old.

Clearly the 3rd best 2D Zelda out this year after the Oracles games.

If I didn't play LTTP in the 90's, I probably would've give much of a shit about it other than to say "Yes this is pretty decent." Playing it at the time though, goddamn. It brought so much of what is awesome about the series.

Just remembered that Miyamoto said he wanted to do this a few years ago

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2011/11/10/miyamoto-intent-on-remaking-a-link-to-the-past

Following the brilliant 3DS remake of The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Nintendo recently announced that the company's next Zelda-related project for the handheld would be an original one, so as to avoid back-to-back remakes. Following this new entry, the natural choice for the next 3DS remake would seem to be Majora's Mask.

But Zelda creator Shigeru Miyamoto has other ideas. Earlier this year Miyamoto confirmed that A Link to the Past is the Zelda title he's most interested in revisiting.

"I think A Link To The Past," he responded when asked what game he'd like to see remade for the 3DS. "Do you remember Xevious? It's two-layered and I really wanted to create that at the time. So to see Link to the Past in two layers would be quite attractive for me."

As reported by our friends over at 1Up, Zelda producer Eiji Aonuma recently stated that Miyamoto's intentions still haven't altered. "Well actually, even Mr. Miyamoto himself has been talking recently about going back to the 2D Zelda games," he said. "In particular the ones that were designed with multiple levels to the world like A Link to the Past, and taking those 2D graphics and recreating them in 3D so that you could get a sense for the depth of those worlds."

Aonuma went on to say, "That's something that might be interesting to do, so I would say there might be a possibility of something like that in the future." All focus will undoubtedly be on the original 3DS Zelda title for quite some time, but this proves the chances of us seeing an updated version of one of the greatest Zelda games of all time are very good indeed.

I dont like the visual style they're using for it at all

I'm with you. Link just doesn't look right, maybe it's too much fringe/hair.

Download the trailer on 3ds it looks stunning when you see it in action

I just watched it again in the hope that I was being a little harsh on it earlier.. but it confirmed to me that I wasn't. To me, it looks horrid so far, sadly :hmm:

I'm with you. Link just doesn't look right, maybe it's too much fringe/hair.

The+Legend+of+Zelda+A+Link+to+the+Past+timeline_link_to_past.jpg

Nope, fringe fits

It looks decent, but to me it just feels a bit generic and bland. I can't wait to see the 3D video on my 3DS when I get some acces to wifi, I guess I shouldn't judge the graphics before seeing the game running on the 3DS itself.

I do wonder though, is this supposed to be THE original Zelda game for the 3DS? Or will they still release a unique title after this sequel. I would really prefer that.

Edited by M_rock

As said in the direct thread, I'm not sure how I feel about the LttP overworld usage unless it's very well justified. I'd prefer a 3D perspective(OoT, MM or WW style) remake of LttP - maybe put new dungeons in that. Art style irks me a little(the only thing I particularly liked was the paper form) but maybe it'll grow on me with time as we see more stuff.