NEurope
Rummy

Wii U Headsets?

So, with my now owning Most Wanted and Monster Hunter, I envisage much online-ness complete with communications down the line. However when playing Most Wanted I found that the gamepad's sound just couldn't compete with that of my TV, so I'll probably need to get a headset soon.

However, I'm just wondering as I know there was some confusion/mixed comments about it - what headsets exactly are suitable for the Wii U? Can I just plug in some headphones but still use the mic on the pad? Do I have to have a whole headset? Does it matter if it's got two ears or just one? Is there an official one?

Not that I'll probably get the official one. I'm just after a cheap fix for here and there really; but I'm not 100% on what is/isn't compatible. Can anyone shed some light on it for me?

I used my iPhone hands-free until my Turtle Beach NLa headset arrived. The sound quality on that headset is brilliant, I prefer it to using sound through the TV. For roughly £20 I say it's well worth it!

I just use a wired Xbox 360 headset (one of the newer ones with the line-in volume control) coupled with an adapter, plugged into an extension lead (so as to reduce wear and tear on the Gamepad's headphone socket) it seems to work pretty well.

: peace:

How about if I plug in just earphones/headphones, will the gamepad's mic still work? Really it's more about me being able to hear folks, but I just assumed I'd need a whole thing.

I use normal headphones with a mic on... well actually I did, but I think the gamepad is so good I'm not sure it's even worth it. The problem I have with these headsets and my headphones is that it covers up the tele sound, so all you get are the voices, when actually I want both. I have a single ear headset for PS3 and thats the perfect balance.

How about if I plug in just earphones/headphones, will the gamepad's mic still work? Really it's more about me being able to hear folks, but I just assumed I'd need a whole thing.

I think that works... if I remember right I think @Ville did that before getting a proper heaset and it worked fine for him at the time.

I use normal headphones with a mic on... well actually I did, but I think the gamepad is so good I'm not sure it's even worth it. The problem I have with these headsets and my headphones is that it covers up the tele sound, so all you get are the voices, when actually I want both. I have a single ear headset for PS3 and thats the perfect balance.

What games are you playing? Most games have the option to have all the sounds come through the headphones/headset aswell as the voice.

I did this on CoD, changed the options so the game sound came in on the headset headphones aswell as the voice chat.

You can do the same on MH3U but for that game the game sound seems to over power the voice chat for me so I just left the game sound on the TV. But I'm not having any issue with hearing the TV just need to up the volume from 10 to 12 and all is good :)

Yes, normal headphones work too for the hearing part. Are you playing with the WiiU pad or classic controller? I play with the CCP, so I had to have the pad nearby on a table and hunch over it when speaking, which was rather annoying. So I bought the Turtle Beach NL headset, about 30€. Cord is a bit short, but works great otherwise.