NEurope
Beast

Anime Series

A lot of interesting animes being discussed here, a lot of these I haven't even seen. Thanks for the overviews too. They're very helpful.

ignore the neverending time sinks like One Piece or Naruto.

Doesn't sound great when you say it like that, just because they're long series doesn't mean they're bad nor time-wasting. Especially One Piece. If it wasn't a great series it probably wouldn't have lasted as long as it has.

Naruto is an enjoyable series for me overall, but what annoyed me most was the fillers, too many and too frequently. Season 10 felt like a filler marathon for me. Naruto usually excels when it comes to the fights, animation is good and the music suits it well, the fights also consist of strategy and teamwork which always keep me entertained.

When it comes to the Anime I liked Part 1 better than Part 2 (Shippuden) mainly due to the extremely slow pace of Shippuden, I used to watch the dub years ago on Jetix but when it was cancelled I re-watched the series with english subtitles and I enjoyed it just as much (apart from the odd lack of emotion at times).

For Naruto I would recommend both. The Manga's pacing is much better and there are no fillers. Whereas the Anime does have the added comedy and a very good musical score.

One Piece Wiki:

Gol D. Roger was known as the Pirate King, the strongest and most infamous being to have sailed the Grand Line. The capture and death of Roger by the World Government brought a change throughout the world. His last words before his death revealed the location of the greatest treasure in the world, One Piece. It was this revelation that brought about the Grand Age of Pirates, men who dreamed of finding One Piece (which promises an unlimited amount of riches and fame), and quite possibly the most coveted of titles for the person who found it, the title of the Pirate King.

Enter Monkey D. Luffy, a 17-year-old boy that defies your standard definition of a pirate. Rather than the popular persona of a wicked, hardened, toothless pirate who ransacks villages for fun, Luffy’s reason for being a pirate is one of pure wonder; the thought of an exciting adventure and meeting new and intriguing people, along with finding One Piece, are his reasons of becoming a pirate. Following in the footsteps of his childhood hero,Shanks, Luffy and his crew travel across the Grand Line, experiencing crazy adventures, unveiling dark mysteries and battling strong enemies, all in order to reach One Piece.

I first watched the 4Kids english dub back in 2004, even though it was heavily edited and had a rubbish opening I still found it enjoyable. The series was cancelled around the 100 episode mark (2005-2006?) and at that time I wasn't into 'Manga' or watching any kind of TV show on the computer so I just naturally dropped the series. In 2011 I decided to re-watch the show this time in its original form (Japanese) with english subtitles and I never looked back since. By this point I

I love One Piece because of the amazing cast of wonderfully developed characters and their detailed backstory and the way that Oda (creator) was able to put together such a cohesive yet continually expanding story.

one_piece_character_background_by_shadowxofxlight-d31c8iy.png

There are many interesting and beautifully drawn islands all having there own history in terms of its inhabitants, physical structure and events. I also admire the simple yet refreshing art style and often find myself looking through my large digital collection of colour spreads & manga covers as they're so well drawn and just ooze originality.

Believe it or not the comedy in One Piece is one of main reasons why I love this series, you'll often see yourself smiling or chuckling throughout the show as you watch these colourful characters interact. It never seems to much nor does it feel forced, Oda has found a good mix when it comes to comedy in the manga but they absolutely come to life in the anime, props to the animators.

The story starts off simple and continues to grow and branches off into many different sub-stories that always fits in with the bigger picture, you're never left in the dark and what questions you have as a viewer/reader are answered in many different ways (or will be answered in the future) that it gives a great feeling of satisfaction when it all comes together. The background music in One Piece is downright amazing, there are so many different tracks each having its own theme like sadness, happiness, excitement, tension, impending doom, partying, fighting, entrances etc

My absolute favourite thing about One Piece is the concept of Nakama

"comrades or friends. Sometimes used by a protagonist to specifically describe those who fight alongside them, or friends in general."

The anime paints a wonderful picture when you see Luffys countless 'nakama' and how far he would go to make these new relationships and protect those who are important to him. It doesn't matter what or who they are, his friends come in all shapes and sizes regardless of gender, age, race and history. As a viewer it leaves a profound impact on you.

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

The anime starts off slow and does well introducing some of the main characters, their quirky personalities and their dreams. Even though the show started in 1999 and looks a bit 'dated' I highly recommend watching from the beginning as you will come across important characters, events and small parts of the story that are continually built upon and further elaborated as you progress through the series. For example; the recently completed Fishman Island Arc (Episodes 523-574) links all the way back to the Arlong Park Arc (Episodes 31-45) and if you skipped the early episodes the references and links won't have the same impact on you (or your understanding may not be complete).

Like I said it starts off a bit slow but, stick with it normally you hear people say that it picks up around the Arlong Park Arc I agree, that arc is still one of my favourites in the entire series and it has my favourite moment too.

I've watched a decent number of animes over the years but none come close to One Piece. It sounds fan-boyish or 'over-the-top' but I'm just expressing my honest opinion. I've re-watched the series 3 times and read through all of the chapters in the Manga and I found myself loving it more each time. I also continue to pick up some bits of information that I may have previously overlooked and I was able to understand the story better, but more importantly it has made me appreciate the dedication, physical (and mental) effort that Eiichiro Oda and all other Mangakas around the world have invested into their work.

So yeah, I can't recommend One Piece enough there are 590 episodes at the moment and it could very well continue for another decade (story-wise). Since Naruto & One Piece are both very long series, those have been the only animes that I have watched in the last 6-7 years. I say take your time, watch an episode when you're free or maybe you could plan it like watching one a week?

Either way you're bound to enjoy this EPIC adventure.

I think this AMV does a good job of introducing you to the World of One Piece without spoiling you (no dialogue no subtitles, just a collection of clips with the German Opening in the background.)

Edited by -Dem0-

A lot of interesting animes being discussed here, a lot of these I haven't even seen. Thanks for the overviews too. They're very helpful.

Doesn't sound great when you say it like that, just because they're long series doesn't mean they're bad nor time-wasting. Especially One Piece. If it wasn't a great series it probably wouldn't have lasted as long as it has.

Naruto is an enjoyable series for me overall, but what annoyed me most was the fillers, too many and too frequently. Season 10 felt like a filler marathon for me. Naruto usually excels when it comes to the fights, animation is good and the music suits it well, the fights also consist of strategy and teamwork which always keep me entertained.

When it comes to the Anime I liked Part 1 better than Part 2 (Shippuden) mainly due to the extremely slow pace of Shippuden, I used to watch the dub years ago on Jetix but when it was cancelled I re-watched the series with english subtitles and I enjoyed it just as much (apart from the odd lack of emotion at times).

For Naruto I would recommend both. The Manga's pacing is much better and there are no fillers. Whereas the Anime does have the added comedy and a very good musical score.

One Piece Wiki:

I first watched the 4Kids english dub back in 2004, even though it was heavily edited and had a rubbish opening I still found it enjoyable. The series was cancelled around the 100 episode mark (2005-2006?) and at that time I wasn't into 'Manga' or watching any kind of TV show on the computer so I just naturally dropped the series. In 2011 I decided to re-watch the show this time in its original form (Japanese) with english subtitles and I never looked back since. By this point I

I love One Piece because of the amazing cast of wonderfully developed characters and their detailed backstory and the way that Oda (creator) was able to put together such a cohesive yet continually expanding story.

one_piece_character_background_by_shadowxofxlight-d31c8iy.png

There are many interesting and beautifully drawn islands all having there own history in terms of its inhabitants, physical structure and events. I also admire the simple yet refreshing art style and often find myself looking through my large digital collection of colour spreads & manga covers as they're so well drawn and just ooze originality.

Believe it or not the comedy in One Piece is one of main reasons why I love this series, you'll often see yourself smiling or chuckling throughout the show as you watch these colourful characters interact. It never seems to much nor does it feel forced, Oda has found a good mix when it comes to comedy in the manga but they absolutely come to life in the anime, props to the animators.

The story starts off simple and continues to grow and branches off into many different sub-stories that always fits in with the bigger picture, you're never left in the dark and what questions you have as a viewer/reader are answered in many different ways (or will be answered in the future) that it gives a great feeling of satisfaction when it all comes together. The background music in One Piece is downright amazing, there are so many different tracks each having its own theme like sadness, happiness, excitement, tension, impending doom, partying, fighting, entrances etc

My absolute favourite thing about One Piece is the concept of Nakama

The anime paints a wonderful picture when you see Luffys countless 'nakama' and how far he would go to make these new relationships and protect those who are important to him. It doesn't matter what or who they are, his friends come in all shapes and sizes regardless of gender, age, race and history. As a viewer it leaves a profound impact on you.

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

The anime starts off slow and does well introducing some of the main characters, their quirky personalities and their dreams. Even though the show started in 1999 and looks a bit 'dated' I highly recommend watching from the beginning as you will come across important characters, events and small parts of the story that are continually built upon and further elaborated as you progress through the series. For example; the recently completed Fishman Island Arc (Episodes 523-574) links all the way back to the Arlong Park Arc (Episodes 31-45) and if you skipped the early episodes the references and links won't have the same impact on you (or your understanding may not be complete).

Like I said it starts off a bit slow but, stick with it normally you hear people say that it picks up around the Arlong Park Arc I agree, that arc is still one of my favourites in the entire series and it has my favourite moment too.

I've watched a decent number of animes over the years but none come close to One Piece. It sounds fan-boyish or 'over-the-top' but I'm just expressing my honest opinion. I've re-watched the series 3 times and read through all of the chapters in the Manga and I found myself loving it more each time. I also continue to pick up some bits of information that I may have previously overlooked and I was able to understand the story better, but more importantly it has made me appreciate the dedication, physical (and mental) effort that Eiichiro Oda and all other Mangakas around the world have invested into their work.

So yeah, I can't recommend One Piece enough there are 590 episodes at the moment and it could very well continue for another decade (story-wise). Since Naruto & One Piece are both very long series, those have been the only animes that I have watched in the last 6-7 years. I say take your time, watch an episode when you're free or maybe you could plan it like watching one a week?

Either way you're bound to enjoy this EPIC adventure.

I think this AMV does a good job of introducing you to the World of One Piece without spoiling you (no dialogue no subtitles, just a collection of clips with the German Opening in the background.)

It's not that they're bad shows, they're not, at all... It's just they're way too long considering the payoff you get. Especially when compared to something like FMA:B, which is ridiculously better and takes 1/10th of the time to get through. After ~400 episodes of One Piece I just couldn't do it anymore... Was it fun? Sure! Was it worth the ridiculous amount of time I invested in it? Not even close... If you really want to enjoy OP or Naruto, the best way to go about it is just reading the mangas. There's no fillers and things actually move/happen at a decent pace instead of everything being stretched and milked to exhaustion... You miss out on a couple of quirky voice actors and some ok tunes, but in the end you lose nothing important... And instead you use that time on something more worthwile, go read In Search Of Lost Time (pun intended) or something.

Although everyone should at least check out One Piece, that feeling of pure adventure is truly unique, and also very tasty. It's as close as an Anime will ever get to replicating that feeling you get when you read a Dumas book (which is especially weird because there's an awesome anime reimagining of the Count of Monte Cristo).

He directed that as well. :grin:

(in case you didn't know)

:)

Indeed I did. :smile:

Both films are equally awesome. :D

Yeah, definitely watch Shingeki No Kyojin. The manga is brilliant and that first episode was awesome, did it justice I think!

Oh and One Piece is amazing! Easily worth the time sink!

Edited by Kav