NEurope
Serebii

Batman: Arkham Origins

Personally, I hope it's not accurate. One of the reasons that Arkham City felt lifeless was the size of the city. Too big with not much detail. The smaller scale of Arkham Asylum worked so much better.

Disagree, opinions and all that.

Edited by Retro_Link
Moved to own thread

Personally, I hope it's not accurate. One of the reasons that Arkham City felt lifeless was the size of the city. Too big with not much detail. The smaller scale of Arkham Asylum worked so much better.

I didn't find City too big at all and as far as open world games go, its main map is pretty small - it's the interiors that make up for it. That you can glide over most of it also helps to reduce its apparent scope though I suspect that's why they made it into that U shape so they could extend the time it took to travel from one end to the other.

Whilst City did feel a bit lifeless in parts, I put that more down to design as it was supposed to be like that What parts weren't already run down and delapidated had been evacuated to make way for the prisoners who tened to hang around certain areas. There was no reason for it to feel full of life.

This game taking place in regular Gotham with no caveats though should be full of people, but it won't be and that video says it won't be because everyone is tucked up at home with their family with it being Christmas Eve. But swamping the streets with thugs in this game would be a strange move so who knows what their strategy is for how they populate the city.

Batman's cowl and chest piece look a lot like the recent films and I do prefer that look to RS's more classic comic style inspired outfit.

updated info

- Doing a prequel lets the team carve a unique territory if Rockstar were to move the Arkham timeline ahead down the road

of all of it this excites me most, as i'd really love them to jump "Beyond" in the timeline

They need to finish Grand Theft Auto V first, though.

Rockstar makes GTA, Rocksteady makes Batman. :wink:

Rockstar makes GTA, Rocksteady makes Batman. :wink:

Well, yes. That was the joke (until I had to explain it).

New images and information

415766_445237758900452rs7a.jpg

913898_445237512233813csz9.jpg

920965_44522131223543ubsv3.jpg

902740_44522067223550g7sen.jpg

904807_44523355223421tcsig.jpg

913697_44523744223382vzsv1.jpg

920862_44523735556716iysjz.jpg

920311_445233218900914msjq.jpg

478844_44523240890099e6sbx.jpg

465092_4452311822344436szq.jpg

920457_44522251890198pgst5.jpg

DAT COWL.

- "The Batman of Arkham City is Batman 5.0. He will punch out a guy without looking at him knowing exactly how many teeth he's just fractured just from the feeling from his knuckles. Our Batman is version 0.9." -Ben Mattes

- expect every boss encounter to be different

- "We really believe that we've made the coolest version of Deathstroke [in any media]. He's a wonderful counterpart to Batman." -Ben Mattes

- "Making Batman scary again is important. In later years Batman becomes very much part of the institution." -Mattes

- "'Arkham Quality' is not 'this feature is kinda cool', 'Arkham Quality' is 'this feature is perfect'. If its not perfect, it doesn't too in the box." -Mattes

The article also reveals just how seriously WB Games Montreal are taking this game by delving into two of the game features that they tried out and abandoned because they didn't live up to previous Arkham games.

The first is a dynamic weather system that was designed to affect freeflow combat. The gusts of wind from the encroaching blizzard would force thugs to stand still and cover their eyes, but also make it difficult for players to control Batman. Mattes said that they cut it because it "sucks". There was no indication that the dynamic weather system was removed though, just the winds affecting freeflow.

The second idea to be cut early was some kind of robotic drone that would hunt Batman during predator missions, but the developers decided that Batman shouldn't spend the whole of the predator sections on the defensive.

Overall, the article is a great read and the demo has gone a long way to make the writers feel good about WB Montreal's ability to pull off the Arkham prequel.

They say if feels just like playing Arkham City; what do you think of Arkham Origins so far?

EDIT: The Hud features a Storm Indicator. The game takes place during a massive snowstorm and the indicator warns you of incoming winde blasts. This also helps to explain the absence of civilians on the streets and why they would abandon their cars, engines still running, as well as lights still on.

EDIT: The bridge is a fully playable area. There's no loading in between Old and New Gotham. You can walk from tip to tip if you wanted to in a seemless environment. So the bridge is a playable area.

EDIT: Overhauled progression tree is promised with much more emphasis placed on choosing between different branches of upgrade paths when powering up your gear.

EDIT: Overall, while it looks, feels and plays the same as Asylum and City, it's not just a reskin. WB Montreal have created a fresh new title that takes the formula created by Rocksteady and built upon it with the new Detective features fixing, what the article considers, the series only shortfall thus far.

•Batman is impulsive, overconfident as he still has to encounter an opponent on par with his strength. He is clever but does not think of everything, for example when interrogating a thug he can be dominated by violence and stun the thug before getting the information he wanted. The major difficulties he will have to deal with in the game will have a strong impact on his psychology and will make him change to the more realist and stoic Batman from the previous games.

•Rupert Thorne is mentioned (as well as Falcone)

•Some of the 8 assassins will be side missions, and we will not be finished with them from the first encounter.

•Unlocking location for the Batwing is a whole side mission : an unknown hacker has jammed the radio system and Batman needs to restore it.

•New combat move : Batman can rush toward an enemy while knocking another one on his path.

•Freeze boss fight from Arkham City is the main model for Origins boss fights.

According to the South African publication, NAG, Kevin Conroy will not be reprising his role as the Dark Knight. To fit this younger version, WB Games Montreal decided to go with a new voice actor. The name of the actor wasn’t revealed.

-----------

A lot of the info is from Gamesmaster and other publications.

At first I was like eh to the above but then I thought about it and there isn't anything young about Conroys Batman voice. He tried to voice a younger Batman in the Gotham Knights animated feature and it just didn't work so I'm ok with them going for a new voice for this younger Batman.

Its sounding goooooooooooooooooooood.

Maybe Conroy is voicing older Bats from the other Arkham games. Kinda like he's thinking back to his early years and he's narrating.

The game looks fantastic and I'm a huge fan of the first two Arkham games. Still a bit sad to see Mark Hamill not doing the voice for Joker. He was amazing in the first two games.

Some footage of the 3DS/Vita game. Looking good on the 3DS, nice, smooth and good visuals.

Batman: Arkham Origins Online Component Confirmed

Play as Batman, Robin or an Elite Member of The Joker or Bane’s Gang

Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment and DC Entertainment today confirmed that Batman: Arkham Origins will ship with a mode that allows players to take the franchise’s award-winning gameplay online to play with friends and foes. The online component blends the traditional Arkham gameplay with third-person shooter mechanics and is in development by Splash Damage.

The online mode will be available for the PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system, Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft and Windows PC. The game is scheduled to launch worldwide Oct. 25, 2013.

The Batman: Arkham Origins Online mode offers players the chance to hunt as Batman or Robin against the most challenging opponents yet, friends and other gamers online. Players can also take on the role of a Super-Villain Elite and get a peek behind the curtain of what it’s like to side with The Joker or Bane as they establish their legacy by taking down Batman and Robin, and anyone else who gets in their way. Fans will even be able call in the ultimate reinforcement to help turn the tide in any match by playing as The Joker or Bane themselves.

Developed by WB Games Montréal, Batman: Arkham Origins features an expanded Gotham City and introduces an original prequel storyline set several years before the events of Batman: Arkham Asylum and Batman: Arkham City. Taking place before the rise of Gotham City’s most dangerous criminals, the game showcases a young and unrefined Batman as he faces a defining moment in his early career as a crime fighter that sets his path to becoming the Dark Knight. As the story unfolds, players will meet many important characters for the first time and forge key relationships.

Batman: Arkham Origins will be available for the PS3™, Xbox 360®, the Wii U™ system, and Windows PC. Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate™, the handheld version developed by Armature Studio, will be available for PlayStation®Vita handheld entertainment system and the Nintendo 3DS™ handheld system. The game will release on all platforms worldwide on Oct. 25, 2013.

No online mode for Wii U

I smell Deathstroke DLC all over again...

Can't for the life of me understand why this stuff is happening.

Christ, lets give everything a multiplayer mode even if it is tacked on. I can see why this is another kick in the proverbials for Wii U, but even if I was buying this on on another console I wouldn't want the multiplayer, that's not what this game is about to me. Spec Ops all over again...