NEurope
Cube

Notable Things About Your Town/City

Rather than continue on with the discussion in the NE Meet thread, it could be an interesting topic - if people in cities can mentions things about their particular area, that would be great.

I live in a small town called Hyde. We strangely have a large amount of transport (6 train stations and a major bus station).

As @The Peeps pointed out, Sam Tyler from Life on Mars came from there.

Hyde was also where Harold Shipman murdered over 250 people.

My town (Harpenden) is notable that for a long time nothing remarkable has ever happened. No battles, no murders, no protest or riot, no notable sons or daughters of the town.

It's a quite town, but wealthy and convenient for London so a fair few of the rich and famous own property here. Off the top of my head, Harry Redknapp owns a house here, as does Craig Charles (who was looking at buying the house next to mine at one point - my dad found im in my back garden looking over the wall). Eric Morecambe used to live here, too.

As for "events", I know of only one: remember the anti-GM nutters protesting a research site last summer? That was here! Of their claimed thousands that would show up, about 150 did. They were outnumbered by curious locals and anti-Luddite counter-protesters (who I joined).

My town, Grammont, has the original "Manneke Pis" statue, it is available in the Animal Crossing series as a rare furniture piece given by Gulliver I somehow find that VERY awesome:p

tumblr_mgbz4nU7HL1s1gk0ao1_400.jpg

Mine's fairly unremarkable, though I often vary where I'm from depending on the context. Is it kent, is it london, is it bexley, bexleyheath or is it barnehurst? South east, south east london? Who knows!

As far as 'remarkable' goes, there's little beyond celebrities from here I guess. I understand Kate Bush went to school here, so did Delia Smith, Mick Jagger was from nearby, Jools Holland from not too far off or something(my friend's parents apparently used to know him when he was younger), Roger Moore used to live here somewhere, some of the Eastenders folks used to apparently live not far off - but that's it, all unremarkable, only notable for notable people - not for events or the town itself. Ted Heath, once prime minister and founder of my secondary school, was also from here.

Ooo, I guess kinda notable is that I used to live round the corner from the headquarters for The Woolwich bank? Then they went bust. I think it's being turned into houses soon. I'm gonna read up about my town!

Edited by Rummy

Rather than continue on with the discussion in the NE Meet thread, it could be an interesting topic - if people in cities can mentions things about their particular area, that would be great.

I live in a small town called Hyde. We strangely have a large amount of transport (6 train stations and a major bus station).

As @The Peeps pointed out, Sam Tyler from Life on Mars came from there.

Hyde was also where Harold Shipman murdered over 250 people.

No way, I'm also from Hyde!

You forgot that the Moors Murderers lived in Hattersley, which is just down the road from Hyde.

And those policewomen who were killed last year.

But... Hyde FC are ok!

I live in Leeds now though, which is known for, err.... Chris Moyles?

No way, I'm also from Hyde!

I only moved here around 18 months ago. The place where I grew up is known for John Prescott, Carol Vorderman and Kwik Save.

I grew up in a very small town called Shirebrook, in north east Derbyshire. It's a pretty rough area with not a lot going for it. Here are a few of the wonderful things wikipedia has to say about it:

"Shirebrook once had three railway stations." Once, now we only have one.

"Shirebrook is a small market town with a market square (market days are Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Fridays and Saturdays) surrounded by several shops. There is a large Cooperative food store, 3 butchers, carpet shops, 2 card shops, 2 cake shops, 2 tattooists, 2 furniture shops, 2 pet shops, 2 cafes, 3 pubs, a locksmith, a solicitors, 2 DIY stores, multiple takeaways and 3 pharmacists." A market town with a market square, who'd have thunk it.

"The Kissingate Leisure Centre is on Park Road. It has no swimming pool, but it has an indoor five-a-side football area and a skate park." One of our most notable features is that we don't have a swimming pool.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shirebrook

As for actually notable things. Sports Direct/Sports World International's headquarters were built here a few years ago. Ray Wilson is from here (1966 world cup squad. My headmaster was related to him), as is Colin Tarrant (an actor from the Bill), John Hurt, and Jason Statham (although only for a few years).

Also in the future, my name will be added to that list. I just haven't yet decided what for. Probably as a serial killer.

They service the nuclear reactors on submarines here in Portsmouth.

If you hear sirens, start driving north. Fast.

I grew up in London but now live in Swindon which is the home of roundabouts, including the magic roundabout which is a collection of 5 roundabouts around a central 6th one.

Swindon is apparently twinned with Disney World, Florida.

The museum of computing in Swindon was the first computer museum in the UK.

In 2008 Swindon banned fixed point speed cameras.

All according to wikipedia

Moniaive....nothing really special, Alex Kapranos has a house here and the booze is cheap as hell, i suspect you'd be able to drink yourself to death on £30 here, not that i've tried, i usually black out around £20. Other than that? nothing, 2 pubs, a shop and a primary school, thats about it.

Swindon is apparently twinned with Disney World, Florida.

That's to do with the roundabouts. Disney World held a competition to be twinned with somewhere, and Swindon won as they said the movement of cars around the roundabouts is reminiscent of the teacups ride.

It should be noted that no Disney official had actually visited Swindon when making the decision.

Ringwould... Nothing really remarkable about the place. Although some historians claim that Admiral Nelson owned a house (now demolished) that stood next to my parents' house.

Deal, where I grew up was written about by Charles Dickens among several other people. It's famous for having the longest in-service pier in the UK and possibly Europe. In fact, the pier is EXACTLY the same length from end-to-end as the Titanic.

Deal Castle was built by Henry VIII and is in the shape of a Tudor Rose.

Shanghai, where I have made my home for the last six years' is in possession of such wonders as the Oriental Pearl Tower, Shanghai Financial Center and some amazing Art Deco architecture along the tourist trap known as the Bund.

My city's name is directly linked with my country's name, we're the second biggest city in the country, we got a bunch of sweet buildings and engineering works (one of which by Gustav Eiffel, no less) and our wine is world famous.

It's pretty cool.

I'm from (and my parents live in) the largest town in Europe with no railway station. Hooray.

-.-

Well, it's also the origin of an unusually catchy song, don't feel too bad :heh:

I think Hyde should donate some stations to Viseu. 6 for 30,000 people seems a bit greedy.

I think Hyde should donate some stations to Viseu. 6 for 30,000 people seems a bit greedy.

Jesus... Deal has one station for about 35,000, and there's constant talk of closing it.

Ringwould on the other hand, has 6...

...buses per day and sometimes they don't stop.

Luton. Famously known for being one of the UK's biggest shit holes, although most areas aren't that bad.

We were famous for Vauxhall Motors and hat making, until the factories closed..

Birthplace of Charles Bronson, no not the actor, the 'Britain's most violent criminal' one.

I moved around a bit....but:

(Royal) Leamington Spa - Not much, although Russel Howard lives here now.....it was the birthplace of tennis apparently, which is possible the most middle class fact you could imagine.

Llanddaniel - Nothing about this place is exciting, but it is only a miles or two away from the longest placename in Britain - Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch. My main town was Bangor, which has (i think) the longest continuous high street in Britain...

Castries, St Lucia - Nothing particularly faous about it, other than a Nobel prize winning guy came from here - Derek Walcott, who won it for literature i believe.

Gaberone, Botswana - The city actually has a district called Kanye West, but the rapper is not named after it - that it his actual name....

Clifton.bridge.arp.750pix.jpg

web-edit-banksy-bristol.jpg

concorde_mikevallentin.jpg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTdGSJ1kgK5OGFcogfIQ3lE1JetgADOmpigglBfUDHh7jsUWV4S

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRKdjRr8Wyr2H-h61BzQEqjqruEdv3xskM9-ozxmEqtZZ2Xtu_I

skinslogo1.jpg

Teachers_series1_dvd.JPG

Bristol_Balloon_Festival.jpg

Clifton Suspension Bridge

Banksy - Born & Lived here

Concorde - Created here

Blackbeard the Pirate - Lived & Drank here

Walace & Gromit - Created Here

Skins - Recorded Here

Teachers - Recorded Here

Hot Air Balloon Fiesta - Biggest hot air balloon show in Europe.

(Royal) Leamington Spa - Not much, although Russel Howard lives here now.....it was the birthplace of tennis apparently, which is possible the most middle class fact you could imagine.

Everytime I visit Leamington Spa I feel like im in a seaside town. I think its the long straight roads and style of buildings.

Sheffield...

Seven hills

Five rivers

Greenest City

Def Leppard

Arctic Monkeys

Joe Cocker

Jarvis Cocker

Cutlery/Steel

Hendersons relish

The Full Monty

Snooker

Sean Bean

Students everywhere

Pot holes

£240 Million pound tram system that goes to about six stops

People getting shot

Sheffield...

Seven hills

Five rivers

Greenest City

Def Leppard

Arctic Monkeys

Joe Cocker

Jarvis Cocker

Cutlery/Steel

Hendersons relish

The Full Monty

Snooker

Sean Bean

Students everywhere

Pot holes

People getting shot

Def Leppard and Sean Bean redeem any other sins comitted by having given birth to Jarvis Cocket and The Arctic Monkeys.

Unless you were going to Meadowhall, it always seemed easier to walk than faff around with the tram.

That's one thing I loved - even though it was a city, the majority of places seemed to be easy to walk to.

Def Leppard

Rick Allen lost his arm on a road I drive down to work every day... not sure why I know that....