NEurope
jayseven

Madonna or Thatcher?

Which is the better female role model?

I had a semi-serious argument with a mate in a pub who wanted to argue that thatcher was teh obvious choice, based upon reginald watts (is that the comedian's name?) skit, however I just instantly thought that Madonna is easily the better argument. I have plenty of cents to share but I'm interested to see if anyone has an opinion first.

Jesus... I dreamed about Margaret Thatcher last night - her chin was slowly getting smaller and smaller until she had almost no chin at all.

I think there are tons of better role models than either of them. But if i had to choose, i suppose Thatcher. But only because of where she ended up, and not because of her politics.

uhhhh could i choose neither? I suppose Madonna is the lesser of the evils, Thatcher was a soul sucking succubus that attempted to sell off everything and instilled in society a believe they deserved more/better, hence today were ripped off by energy firms and other former public services, while people think its okay to either live off the state as they owe them, or get into mahoosive debt because they deserve more. When she dies Thatcher will be sat suckling on the devil's nipples whilst trying to sell his trident behind his back

Madonnas is a better model of enduring success, Thatcher is a better model of independence.

Madonnas has gained her status through exploiting her sexuality. Thatcher proved that a woman could run a country, albeit poorly in the eyes of some.

Both are positive and negative: Madonna turned lust into control. Thatcher became masculine in order to succeed.

All elements of my argument :) I countered his horrible preposition by saying "well who's a better role model; hitler or gary glitter?" I mean there's no wholesome answer.

Neither, they're both monsters.

I now demand a Godonna vs Mecha-Thatcher movie!

Which is the better female role model?

I had a semi-serious argument with a mate in a pub who wanted to argue that thatcher was teh obvious choice, based upon reginald watts (is that the comedian's name?) skit, however I just instantly thought that Madonna is easily the better argument. I have plenty of cents to share but I'm interested to see if anyone has an opinion first.

Do you and your mate just hate women?

It was Thatchers government that covered up Hillsborough, and there's plenty of people who truly despise her beyond words.

There are worse things a girl might aspire to then to emulate either. Personally though I think there are better female role models on this very forum.

Edited by gaggle64

Madonnas is a better model of enduring success, Thatcher is a better model of independence.

Madonnas has gained her status through exploiting her sexuality. Thatcher proved that a woman could run a country, albeit poorly in the eyes of some.

Both are positive and negative: Madonna turned lust into control. Thatcher became masculine in order to succeed.

Pretty much this.

I respect Thatcher and Madonna for both getting to the top of their fields. Madonna is a master/mistress (?) at re-inventing herself, keeping herself somewhat relevant. Not an easy thing to do. I don't agree with Thatcher as a Prime Minister, but it has to be respected that she managed to acquire that job.

There's an argument that Oprah Winfrey could be considered in the same league as the two.

You cannot be serious! Madonna is a skank who's turning into a man more and more every day and as far as I'm concerned her only talent is being able to walk on both sides of the street at the same time.

That's not to say Thatcher is any better. They're both reprehensible creatures really.

Shiiiit. I didn't realise the implications of this thread, that it was a battle to the death. :p

I wonder what the majority of reactions are going to be like. Knowing the UK, we'll portray her as a hero.

Shiiiit. I didn't realise the implications of this thread, that it was a battle to the death. :p

I wonder what the majority of reactions are going to be like. Knowing the UK, we'll portray her as a hero.

Not in Scotland. She was hated up here because she tested Poll Tax here. A lot of people on Facebook are 'celebrating' which is absolutely shocking. Regardless of what you think about her time as PM, she was a game changer, the first and only woman to hold the position, and a lot of her policies were actually very good.

People just remember the things they don't like.

I wouldn't. I'm not 'celebrating' her death but I would never call her a hero whatsoever. This is exactly the type of hypocrisy I hate about some people though. It's like when Michael Jackson died, all of the people who believed he was a paedophile suddenly forgot the stuff they said and started calling him a legend and saying nothing but good things. Same can be said for Amy Winehouse and Whitney Houston. It shouldn't matter if they're dead or alive, stick to your guns! I've always loved Whitney Houston's and Michael Jackson's music but not really Amy Winehouse's and I won't change that viewpoint just because they're deceased nor should I have to.

My point is, just because Thatcher has died does not mean I will call her a hero and just because she is dead shouldn't mean that everybody's viewpoint should automatically change. I believe that she is not a hero and those who believe the same thing I do should not change their feelings just because she died.

On another note, how spooky is it that this topic started last week!

My point is, just because Thatcher has died does not mean I will call her a hero and just because she is dead shouldn't mean that everybody's viewpoint should automatically change. I believe that she is not a hero and those who believe the same thing I do should not change their feelings just because she died.

On another note, how spooky is it that this topic started last week!

i think that's my stance, i've always hated her and will always hate her, she may have been viewed as a strong woman and a role model, but a lot of her policies and legacies aren't worthy of praise , the state of British industry and energy supplies can be levied at her door, and its unforgivable.

Part of me never wants to see anyone die, but with her i am rather neutral towards it