NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
V. Amoleo

Classic controllers on Wii

Ever since the VC launched on the Wii I've been really interested in seeing if there's a way to play games as they were intended. Since the Wii U VC still supports the Wiimote & Classic Controller my interest has been rekindled.

I managed to get the official Nintendo SNES Wiimote add-on through the Stars Catalogue.

As the Wiimote offers 'acceptable' button placement compared to the NES, my next target is the N64 controller. After looking around I've found this site. They look like they offer the best adapters available.

Has anybody here bought one from Raphnet Technologies? Can anybody recommend any alternatives?

And does anybody know how badly I'll be stung with import duty/fees ordering from Canada?

Edited by V. Amoleo
Forgot to actually include the link, d'oh!

Check this website out for like, custom modded Wii compatable retro pads. Very, VERY cool.

Ordering from that website probably won't be really bad. Especially since the actual product is like $20 Canadian, which is about £12.

I think it's a shame that Nintendo, or some kindly third party, didn't make some kind of "CONTROLLER PORT HUB" for the Wii to work with your existing controllers for the Virtual Console. Mostly everyone has old pads laying around and it would have been glorious.

Now that I think about it, using dedicated controllers on the Wii U Virtual Console would be a bit backwards since I expect the biggest reason to buy any retro games on there would be playing them on the gamepad.

Edited by Grazza

Just an update to my quest.

I ended up purchasing a Classic Linker N64 which allows you to plug in Dualshock 1/2, Wii Classic Controller and most importantly an N64 controller into a Gamecube.

As I've already transferred all my Wii VC purchases to my Wii U and Nintendo don't have any type of account system, I can only speak about it working with GameCube games.

Things to note:

It supports rumble on the N64 Controller and Dualshock 1/2.

It's possible to remap any of the buttons on the N64 controller (though I question it's usefulness as it forgets when power is cut).

You have to connect the one controller you want to use prior to switching on the GameCube.

The controller does NOT work in the GameCube menu.

Is useless in games where the analogue GameCube triggers are used.

The Dualshock button map has the O set to the GameCube A. This may feel awkward to those who are used to using X as the 'Accept' button.

Obviously none of that information is much use to me because I'm trying to get a N64 Controller to work with the Wii/Wii U VC but I wanted to post it up incase anybody else was looking for information on the product.

I've also ordered the item that @Serebii mentioned. When it arrives I'll post up the results of trying to plug this N64 -> GCN adapter into the GCN -> Wii adapter.

After that I'll look to order a NES -> Wii. Most likely this http://mayflash.com/Products/NINTENDOWiiGC/W005.html

I don't mean this in a bad way, but can we keep everything official and legal please? Thanks. :)

:cry: Two times my browser has crashed when trying to type up this post. I'm just going to summarise what I put now :(

The GameCube to Wii Remote adaptor arrived today. I've done some tests and here are the results for anybody interested.

Test Equipment:

N64/PS1/PS2/Wii Classic Controller to GameCube adaptor

GameCube to Wii Remote adaptor

Wii U

White 'Launch' Wii Remote RVL-003

Gold 'The Legend of Zelda' Wii Remote Plus RVL-036 with SYNC button on the inside.

Black Wii Remote Plus RVL-036 with SYNC button on the outside.

Black N64 Controller NUS-005

Black GameCube Controller DOL-003

Tekken Tag Tournament 2 Wii U Edition (Wii U)

Paper Mario (N64 VC running under Wii Mode on the Wii U)

GCN Controller -> GCN to Wii Adaptor -> Wii Remote

• Everything works fine on all three of my Wii Remotes.
  • All the buttons on the Classic Controller are emulated except from ZL.
  • There's no noticeable lag.
  • It's impossible to remap the buttons.

N64 Controller -> N64 to GCN Adaptors -> GCN to Wii Adaptor -> Wii Remote

• This does not work if you plug the N64 adaptor into the GCN adaptor before plugging it into the Wii Remote. The Wii Remote seems to lock up and become unresponsive.
  • It works reliably with my gold Wii Remote if the N64 adaptor is attached after plugging the GCN adaptor into the Wii Remote. There's no noticeable lag.
  • It works unreliably with my black Wii Remote. Most of the time the GCN adaptor just flashes as if attempting to connect but it never does.
  • It never works with my white Wii Remote.

From these results I couldn't recommend this setup to anybody else trying to achieve what I am. I'll just have to remember to use my gold Wii Remote with it (which has it's own problems). There are probably other solutions out there (like the Canadian ones in my original post) which work better.

I was expecting there to be issues but I expected it to either work or not work. Not that there'd be differences across three Wii Remotes (two of which should be the same!). I'm guessing it's mostly caused by the additional power drain. If I were better with electronics I'd open up the N64 adaptor and try to determine where the power was being drawn off.

When it does work I've enjoyed using it. I'm finally able to play my N64 VC games as intended! So while it's a bit awkward, it's worth the hassle to me.

I'm still planning on getting the MayFlash NES/SNES adaptor. I'll post the results for that once I've received and tested it.

I received the MayFlash NES/SNES adaptor today. I've used it to connect a NES-004E controller and it works flawlessly on all my Wii Remotes. So happy to be playing games as they were intended again!

Just an update after using the Classic Linker N64 in a couple more situations recently.

As I mentioned before it is hit and miss with which Wii Remotes it will work with. I have since picked up a standard Black Wii Remote which seems to be the most reliable so far. It's an original one with the SYNC button hidden within the battery compartment but it came with rubber case and strap, so later than my launch White Wii Remote.

Additionally I've tried using it with my Game Boy Player. Unfortunately the only controller which works when plugged into the adapter is the N64 controller. This is a bit annoying as I'd been hoping to use my Wii SNES controller with the Game Boy Player as it seemed like the next best thing to actually plugging the GBA in via the GCN link cable.

Sign in to follow this