NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Choze

Epic's new Unreal Engine 4 demo

I've never seen the point of these kind of trailers. In terms of games you can actually play, they mean absolutely nothing.

Then again, it could be a test for the possible Gears of War replacement.

Yeah, that's about the blandest setting ever. Pretty graphics though...of what I saw before I fell asleep.

I've never seen the point of these kind of trailers. In terms of games you can actually play, they mean absolutely nothing.

Then again, it could be a test for the possible Gears of War replacement.

They show case to developers new features of the engine and what can be possible. They aren't meant to be gametrailers.

I'll be impressed when i start to see some actuall gameplay instead of this pre-rendered stuff

The whole point is it isn't pre-rendered. Rendering stuff takes an age, so on that basis alone this is impressive.

But I'd rather see actual in-game examples of the technology. Like that "meat cube" demo.

This type of thing isn't really designed to get us excited, it's more to get developers excited with what they can actually do with this tech. The real juicy stuff is still a long way off.

They show case to developers new features of the engine and what can be possible. They aren't meant to be gametrailers.

Whilst true to a degree, the engine development often takes place alongside an actual game that ultimately serves as a showcase for the game engine itself. Gears of War started life not long after Unreal Tournament a game that came out in 1999. It started life on UE2 and eventually it got scrapped in its existing form and was done again alongside development on UE3.

In fact, one of the earliest demos of UE3 that was shown in 2004, so two years before that game was even released, showed objects, such as buildings and enemies, taken from the final game.

So whilst not necessarily game trailers as such, some could still be providing clues as to upcoming projects. I don't believe that would qualify in the case of the elemental demo but for this, it's easy to see how it could translate to a game though it's certainly no guarantee.

Sign in to follow this