NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Retro_Link

The Wolf Among Us (Telltale Games)

twauignjpg-e212ea1-610x343.jpg

Telltale’s Fables is Called The Wolf Among Us

Based on Bill Willingham’s DC comic.

Telltale has revealed that its game based on DC comics series Fables will be titled The Wolf Among Us.

Set to arrive on Xbox 360, PC, Mac and PlayStation 3 this summer, The Wolf Among Us takes place prior to the comics and lets players take on the role of Bigby Wolf (The Big Bad Wolf), who has been exiled to New York City. The game follows Wolf as he tries to keep fairy tale characters including Mr. Toad and the Three Little Pigs undetected in our world.

“Developing The Wolf Among Us based on the Fables universe has allowed our studio to build upon all of the hallmarks of what makes our episodic series so engaging for players,” said Telltale CEO Dan Connors. “Through an evolution of our approach to choice and consequence, we can further explore the complexity of each and every iconic character in a universe rich with untold history from the darkest sides of the storybooks.”

Been meaning to read Fables for aaaaaaaages. Good to know this is a prequel. I'll probably wait until a possible Vita version.

Graphically they seem to have used a similar style to The Walking Dead, and I thought that worked really well. It resembles the style of the comic. Telltale have for me just been improving all of the time with the quality of their games, so I'm excited by this.

Picked this up on steam today and loved it. Really gripping. Now I have to wait for the next episode :hmm:

Picked this up on steam today and loved it. Really gripping. Now I have to wait for the next episode :hmm:

Yeah same here, i picked this up the other week and really enjoyed it. Have they said when the next episode is due?

No release date yet. I kind of wish I didn't play it all in one sitting but I couldn't stop myself :p

No release date yet. I kind of wish I didn't play it all in one sitting but I couldn't stop myself :p

Always the way...I did the same with Walking Dead and found the wait agonizing at times.

I bought a boxed copy of this in Grainger Games on Wednesday. (First game I've ever bought there, actually).

I am onto episode 4 of 5 and I am completely and utterly gripped.

What a game.

This is the first time I've ever played a game like this really apart from Hotel Dusk on the 3DS which was also heavily story driven with little control input.

I am out today but am itching to get back to play it. Not many games do that to me!

The game just looks incredible.

The best thing though is the end of the episode when it tells you the percentage of people who made the same choice that you made. I like that nice little touch. Seems I'm not the only one out there who likes to smash bottles round peoples faces she they're not co-operating. Comforting :heh:

Whatever I play next is gonna struggle following this up!

I bought a boxed copy of this in Grainger Games on Wednesday. (First game I've ever bought there, actually).

I am onto episode 4 of 5 and I am completely and utterly gripped.

What a game.

This is the first time I've ever played a game like this really apart from Hotel Dusk on the 3DS which was also heavily story driven with little control input.

I am out today but am itching to get back to play it. Not many games do that to me!

The game just looks incredible.

The best thing though is the end of the episode when it tells you the percentage of people who made the same choice that you made. I like that nice little touch. Seems I'm not the only one out there who likes to smash bottles round peoples faces she they're not co-operating. Comforting :heh:

Whatever I play next is gonna struggle following this up!

It's a fantastic game :D

With that in mind, have you played The Walking Dead, also by Telltale games? Because it's just as incredible.

Enjoy the final 2 chapters, they are fantastic.

I haven't played The Walking Dead yet, but they are on my play list! The Wolf Among us just seemed more up my street story wise than TWD but I can't wait to play them either.

Looking forward to unravelling the story and finding out what happens and what the outcome will be.

It's gripping stuff. :D

This is in the Playstation Now Beta, will probably check it out after I finish playing Batman Arkham City. :)

I haven't played The Walking Dead yet, but they are on my play list! The Wolf Among us just seemed more up my street story wise than TWD but I can't wait to play them either.

Looking forward to unravelling the story and finding out what happens and what the outcome will be.

It's gripping stuff. :D

I've just remembered how good the intro music is (when you boot up the game). Gonna have to make that my ringtone ;)

This is in the Playstation Now Beta, will probably check it out after I finish playing Batman Arkham City. :)

Do it :D You're in for a treat.

Wow, those screens look gorgeous. I'll be playing this at some point if only out of respect for what they did with The Walking Dead. Season 1 in particular is god tier, some of the best stuff I've ever seen/played.

Finished this last night.

I really enjoyed it.

Little bit disappointed with the ending, wish I'd picked a few different choices. I ended up being too kind. :heh:

Overall I highly recommend the game to anyone who has played something similar. Or even if they have never played a game like it before.

The only annoyance was the game freezing for a couple of seconds on more than one occassion. It always seemed to be during the action parts too when the game would save and it would then freeze a few seconds until the next scene loaded. But it made it really disjointed.

I also had a number of glitches where the game would freeze again, but this time the game would continue in the background (so the characters would speak etc) and the options would come up but say 'the selection is blank' for all buttons. I had to quit out and restart my checkpoint to proceed.

Those aside, the game was great. Now what to play?!

Edited by Aneres11

Finished this last night.

I really enjoyed it.

Little bit disappointed with the ending, wish I'd picked a few different choices. I ended up being too king. :heh:

Overall I highly recommend the game to anyone who has played something similar. Or even if they have never played a game like it before.

The only annoyance was the game freezing for a couple of seconds on more than one occassion. It always seemed to be during the action parts too when the game would save and it would then freeze a few seconds until the next scene loaded. But it made it really disjointed.

I also had a number of glitches where the game would freeze again, but this time the game would continue in the background (so the characters would speak etc) and the options would come up but say 'the selection is blank' for all buttons. I had to quit out and restart my checkpoint to proceed.

Those aside, the game was great. Now what to play?!

Typical TellTale. Their games are amazing but are always full of glitches, unfortunately.

Play The Walking Dead next. Season 1 is just incredible..much better than TWAU in my opinion.

Typical TellTale. Their games are amazing but are always full of glitches, unfortunately.

Play The Walking Dead next. Season 1 is just incredible..much better than TWAU in my opinion.

I'm tempted. But part of me wants to play something a bit more involved next.

I wanna blow shit up and kill things. :laughing:

I'm tempted. But part of me wants to play something a bit more involved next.

I wanna blow shit up and kill things. :laughing:

To be fair, there is a LOT of that in The Walking Dead! There's a lot more action in it than TWAU :)

Bought and played this after playing Dreamfall chapters ep 2, Life is strange ep 2, Tales from the Borderlands ep 1 and Game of thrones ep 2 (I think), and wanting more.

In short: By far the least enjoyable Telltale game in my opinion.

3 problems.

1: It's the shortest Telltale game since The walking dead season 2. Episode 2 is the worst in that regard. Episode length seems to have stabilised with Game of thrones and Tales from the Borderlands. Anyway, this is / was a known issue with Telltale games.

2: It's a bit strange, but with these "cinematic" games, we have to talk about "editing". Telltale isn't that good with it. Scenes don't transition smoothly into eachother, and the outdated engine is partly to blame, but it's mostly the writing. To bring ep 2 up again, it ends with a very unsatifying cliffhanger. In an episode of Law & Order for example, this would be a commercial break cliffhanger, not the end of an episode. There was really no reason why we shouldn't be able to explore that room fully in that episode, it was only done so they could have 5 episodes, while it should really have been only 4.

3: existing franchise. This is also Game of thrones biggest problem. I thought the characters and the setting were pretty cool, but after the game, I was reading up on some of the comic storylines, and found out your choices mean shit really. Game of thrones and especially Tales from the Bordelands and Walking dead circumvent this by letting you play with original characters.

I'm not sure what version of The Walking Dead you played where your choices actually mattered. :heh:

But it seemed to matter even less in TWAU. Never got the option to give the frog some money. Apparently, you have a very limited window to do so, but apparently it doesn't mater anyway.

And then the pig, yeah sure, there is a difference in the game, but it's a real cop-out if you read up on his character from the comics, that he ends up at the farm anyway, and dies there.

Anyway, I've played this after all the other games I mentioned, and with the whole season immediately available), but I got little enjoyment out of it. Snow white was hot though.

With the majority of the telltale games there's very little impact on the choices you make.

With TWD I remember restarting the game very early on! When you choose whether to save the kid or save the teen at the farm (by the tractor)... I saved the kid which led to Hershel kicking us off the land... and I thought "hey now, I didn't realise his kid would die!" so I restarted. If you chose to save his son instead... you get a cutscene that basically means the little kid survived instead, so no actual story change occurs. The intention is that the little kids parents will treat you differently throughout the rest of the story... but anyone who has played through s1 and s2 of TWD knows that ultimately your choice here has very, very, very little implication.

Really, your choices just mean that you see a different set of cutscenes throughout the game. While this is still fantastic in the sense that your playthrough is "unique" to you (to the extent that there are maybe, I dunno, 36 combinations or 250 combinations or whatever) -- but ultimately the only choice that tends to matter is the one that occurs at the end of the game(s)... but even this choice doesn't REALLY cross over any further.

Fact is, it's not the exponential game paths that make telltale games good; the choices don't make as much of an ultimate impact as their opening statement of "your choices are sooo important" suggests. But if you put faith in the idea that they will impact your game then you will actively interact with the game in a way which gives the game more meaning. Once you see through this initial jedi mind trick then you're no longer in control - you understand that you're just hitting pause/play on one of a few different versions of the story... which can lead to you being unable to invest.

With TWAU the main significant impact that you can have is that there are two distinct endings. Unfortunately because there's no 2nd game yet, it's hard to see how this will manifest in any key way. Some skeptics may argue that because of the way the game ended it's unlikely to have a sequel (it may be announced/in development -- I have literally no idea)...

But essentially what I'm trying to say is that the way you felt about TWAU is actually the way you can feel about any telltale game if you allowed yourself. The whole "choose your own path"/"your choice matters" thing is really just a myth that doesn't work all that well. If you believe in it -- if you don't overanalyse -- then it will play out wonderfully. All that will matter is whether the narrative itself grips.

I've played quite a few Telltale games now, and I already accepted Telltale's version of choice and consequence since The walking dead. The problem with TWAU is, that unlike the other recent games, existing characters play a big role, and their fates are ultimately set. Knowing the storylines of these characters from the comics is not a good thing. The other games don't have this problem, or to much lesser extent, since they mostly deal with original characters. Anyway, I explained above that wasn't the only problem. All in all, I simply enjoyed TWAU much less than the other Telltale games I've played.

Sign in to follow this