NEurope
Retro_Link

Kickstarter Projects Thread

I ended up backing System Shock as well. :)

Here's one for the shmup fans... ;)

Anyone planning on backing the System Shock Reboot kickstarter? I never actually played the original so I think I might as I would like to see what all the fuss was about. I'll probably download the demo tonight as well.

Wasn't aware of it. I may be interested, but from what I understand, System Shock 2 was the better game anyway.. Plus I'm totally broke.

I'd like to back this one I think though, but I probably won't (because I'm broke).

(kicktags seem to be unusable because the url doesn't include an id anymore?)

Anyway, I had a separate thread for non-game kickstarters, perhaps it's a good idea to merge the 2, or simply forget it and start posting other kickstarters here as well?

I backed this one recently (one of the reasons I'm broke).

Edited by Sméagol

Nintendo smashed the NES Compendium project into IP infringement hell, suspending the campaign pending negotiations and review. In my excitement I totally forgot the very real possibility this could and probably would happen.

Hope there's some way the book can still become a reality...

Here's an update in regards to the NES book.

Hi

Nintendo have filed a copyright claim against the campaign. I have taken lots of legal advice prior to launching the campaign plus I also spoke to Nintendo UK. The use of game imagery is completely legal under FAIR USE' law.

I have now made some little tweaks to the campaign to make it even more watertight but I wholeheartedly believe that the book is 100% above board.

WHAT HAPPENS NOW?

Don't panic! The campaign is under review whilst I talk to Nintendo. Your pledge is safe and in the unlikely case I'm unsuccessful, it will go right back to you as it would with any stopped campaign. There's no need to panic and cancel your funding as your money is not at risk.

The campaign is essentially 'frozen' as is the timer. So fingers crossed when we're live again, the clock will start from with 24 hours left and we can complete the campaign.

The whole thing is frustrating but please stick with me. I've invested a lot of time and energy ensuring that this is legal and above board.

Will update you when I have some news.

Sam

Looks like Nintendo UK gave it the ok. No doubt it was Japan side of Nintendo that have their heads up their backsides and have kicked up a fuss about it.

Oh my God, really?

Haven't backed it, because I sadly don't have the money to spare but it's still annoying to read that it might get shut down.

Really hope it doesn't, though. The book looks awesome and I hope people get the opportunity to enjoy it.

Well fuck now I've some serious buyers remorse over that, I have to say I'm a little confused over how its infringing, its surely all fair use

'From Bedrooms To Billions' is on Netflix and it's really great. Covers the UK bedroom coding scene in great detail, something which is often overlooked by other documentaries that prefer the narrative that gaming died with Atari and was reinvigorated by Nintendo. I've not seen 'The Amiga Years' but will definitely look out for it, and I look forward to seeing more of their work. It would be great to see them tackle the history of Nintendo and Sega too.

It's really disappointing that Nintendo have kicked up a fuss about that book, but the creator sounds pretty confident about being able to continue with it so I hope they back down soon. Nintendo are so weird about these things.

Edited by killthenet

Yooka-Laylee socks!

:D

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/964197146/bryt-socks-20-the-ultimate-colorful-socks?ref=user_menu

Some super-early bird prices still available, I went for six pairs though you will need to choose at least four different designs with that tier, still that's two pairs of limited edition Yooka-Laylee socks for... not that much at all.

Edited by S.C.G

Yooka-Laylee socks!

:D

Some super-early bird prices still available, I went for six pairs though you will need to choose at least four different designs with that tier, still that's two pairs of limited edition Yooka-Laylee socks for... not that much at all.

Edited by S.C.G

Looks like the NES Visual Compedium has resolved its dispute with Nintendo and is back for its final 23 hours!

Looks like the NES Visual Compedium has resolved its dispute with Nintendo and is back for its final 23 hours!

Apparently it reached over £190,000 in the end and they've confirmed that we will be getting that glorious lenticular slipcase! :D

Also, that new shmup Xydonia - top of the page - got funded as well! :) They have insane stretch-goals to reach other format forts but I'm happy enough that it's just getting made.

Man, if I ever make a Kickstarter bingo sheet my first square will be... Project update email begins with 'crazy few weeks'".

Edited by Guy
T

I'm about to go, but there's an Advance Wars-like game on Kickstarter, thought some people might like that. I'll post a link tonight.

One for @Josh64

16916cbd1db793a8a92afb4613b07b44_original.gif

For $350 you can have Banjo in the game! Or create him yourself with the newly revelead creator mode

(the kickstarter embeds aren't working any more, are they?)

One for @Josh64

16916cbd1db793a8a92afb4613b07b44_original.gif

For $350 you can have Banjo in the game! Or create him yourself with the newly revelead creator mode

(the kickstarter embeds aren't working any more, are they?)

Haha wow, $350 is surely worth it to immortalise Banjo in a videogame

The out of print and currently super expensive Megadrive/Genesis Collected Works book is getting a reprint on Kickstarter, can be backed now. Ends in 40 days.

Edited by Ashley
updated link as it was going straight to the donation page ;)

The out of print and currently super expensive Megadrive/Genesis Collected Works book is getting a reprint on Kickstarter, can be backed now. Ends in 40 days.

I've got that book, its really nice. If I remember right @Cube bought it as well.

Edited by Ashley
also fixing this link

Yup, it's really nice book, although I haven't properly read the interviews and stuff yet.

Urgh what song is that a chiptune cover/remake of in the video for that project?

I'm at work with no speakers so cant hear it. Could you please hum the tune by typing out the noises? Thanks

I'm at work with no speakers so cant hear it. Could you please hum the tune by typing out the noises? Thanks

Can't really hum it, but maybe you could lipread it? Kind of goes like this:

:D :p :o:D:o:):D:o :p :D:(

Urgh what song is that a chiptune cover/remake of in the video for that project?

Found the answer by asking the project owner on Twitter. It's Motion Sickness by Hot Chip, with the cover/version being this specifically: