NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate: The Official Thread For The Ultimate Game

Random question, does the disk version make any one else's Wii U make an odd grind-y noise?

Haven't tried the Wii U version yet, but I think noise coming from the disk drive depends on what game you're playing.

When I played NSMBU or NintendoLand it was silent, but when Black Ops is running I can hear those sounds that you described. I think zechs made a post in the Black Ops thread mentioning something along those lines some time ago.

Maybe it's to do with how hard the drive is working? perhaps some games are constantly retrieving data from the disc that these noises are made?

Edited by -Dem0-

Help! Ive been sent on a mission to get some iron ore in area 5 in the forest. Im walking around trying to find it in area 5 but cant seem to find it!

Maybe it's to do with how hard the drive is working? perhaps some games are constantly retrieving data from the disc that these noises are made?

Probably, it does load data a lot. Just wanted to check it was normal, none of my other games made that noise.

Help! Ive been sent on a mission to get some iron ore in area 5 in the forest. Im walking around trying to find it in area 5 but cant seem to find it!

Just make sure you have a pick-axe on you - can buy from the shop if you don't have it for whatever reason - there should be one in the blue chest at the start of the quest, then just go up to any rock deposit that you can mine - a pick axe icon will appear above your head - and just mine it until it disappears, if you didn't get Iron Ore then repeat with another rock deposit.

@S\.C\.G cheers mate. Ive sported it. I was meant to be looking in area 4 rather than 5. I reas it wrong

MH3U get! I'll have to wait to get home from work and until after Master Chef to play it though as the TV won't be free... damn not having the off-TV patch not being available just yet!

My shiny copy is sitting on my work desk staring at me. Getting out of work early for a "doctors appointment" little do they know I'll actually be hunting Jaggi!

I got the double BBQ spit earlier, but I think it's borked in this version of the game. :hmm:

You know how you're supposed to be able to hold down the R Button to cook consecutive steaks? Well, it doesn't seem to work. My character will put on a second raw meat like usual, but when you remove the one that's cooked it stops cooking the next one. ::shrug:

Anyone else had that happen?

Trivial thing I know, but I'm just curious if it's a glitch or not.

My gran has been taken to hospital so taking the hunt with me for the bus trips, it amazes me more games dont have a similar feature, up until now only Kojima had tried it and movie streaming sites like netflix. This is definetly the future of gaming, maybe not in this exact way but i can totally see this being a standard feature in the future.

So, as someone who has never properly delved into MH, can anyone give me some tips/things to do from the beginning of this game?

As much as I'd love to provide you with advice, I'm in the same position as you. Perhaps some of the vets could give you some pointers.

The friend list is hilarious to look at, almost everyone who has MH is playing MH. Beautiful!

Btw, I updated MH (Wii U) and then transfered my save file from the 3DS to the Wii U, the process was smooth as silk and playing with the GamePad felt great.

The Hunting Horn is SOOOOOO GOOOOOOOOODDD!!! It's even better than in MHFU! :love:

Might just have to make it my main (sorry Switchaxe...)

It's so good being able to finally play Tri locally with my friends/family. Local multiplayer with Wii U-3DS works flawlessly :D

Okay. Put a few more hours in. The game is incredibly overwhelming... Took me ages to figure out how to find rooms. A few questions:

- what is the point of the online version of the tavern and port?

- upgrading and forging and buying weapons... I presume it's pointless upgrading the first few of each category as the later one are far superior. So at what stage is it worth upgrading new weapons?

- with read to which weapon you use. Is it a case of just Trying them out all and seeing what you like?

Something I'm really loving, being able to decide exactly what is on your touch screen and then saving panel sets, so you can have a multiplayer one with the multiplayer panels - signal, player stats etc. and a single player one.

So, as someone who has never properly delved into MH, can anyone give me some tips/things to do from the beginning of this game?

After playing a bit online I think the best thing for totally new players would be to play offline for a bit and do at least the 1 star quests (but maybe the 2 star quests too for extra "learning" as you'll start to get "big" monsters there) when you unlock the guild quests before going online.

On Tri the initial quests were very similar between off and online. But here they are very different and you have access to some pretty hard (reletively speaking and especially for new players who don't yet know attack patterns) Monsters which could be a bit big of an ask if a new player jumped online right away.

That said if you can get into a group with 2 or 3 people from here who know what they are doing you can do well to play and learn from them :)

Also try out the different weapons and see what you feel comfortable with.

I recommend either the Sword & Shield or Longsword.

SnS is good for beginners, it's fast, light doesn't slow you down too much and has a shield for blocking. It is also the only weapon that allows you to use items (potions, eating meat, etc) while holding the weapon. All others require you to seeth the weapon away if you want to use an item.

The Longsword is also good. Higher attack than the SnS, has some good combos too once you learn how it works. But not block... so you need to learn to dodge. The starting Longsword in your box also has (along with Hunting Horn) the best sharpness rating of the starting weapons so it won't dull as quickly as the other weapons.

Obviously getting items to build (or money to buy) newer better weapons will help you out a ton in th elong run :wink:

Okay. Put a few more hours in. The game is incredibly overwhelming... Took me ages to figure out how to find rooms. A few questions:

- what is the point of the online version of the tavern and port?

Not sure what you mean? It acts like the party lobby and allows you to interact with other players and NPC's (for buy items/forging equipment/eating food pre-quests)

- upgrading and forging and buying weapons... I presume it's pointless upgrading the first few of each category as the later one are far superior. So at what stage is it worth upgrading new weapons?

If you have a weapon or a few that you are starting to like it is always worth upgrading if you have the required items. After you upgrade those "starter weapons" once you'll notice the next upgrade you get a choice of upgrade options.

ie: Depending on the items required you can then upgrade the weapon to a choice of two (or more, depending on teh weapon) different weapons, creating a branching weapon upgrade path. Most weapons can be upgraded several times.

But yeah as you encounter more monsters and get new items you might be able to create even better weapons over upgrading your current sets. But there is no "all powerful" weapon that works for every monster.

Once you start getting into weapons with element effects you'll start to learn which are good for which monsters and which are stupid choices to take against certain monsters.

- with read to which weapon you use. Is it a case of just Trying them out all and seeing what you like?

Pretty much. But even if you now decide to for example "main" the Longsword... don;t be shy to try out other types later on down the line. Even ones you might think now "I don't really like that".... if you come back to it later after spending so much time with one certain weapon you'll start to appriciate the differences of the weapons and might start to use different weapons depending on your quest.

One thing you should definately use is creating Equipment Sets

This option is easy to miss. (I didn't spot it till well over 50hours on Tri on Wii :heh:) You'll see it when checking the item box in your room in the offline mode or in the blue box in the tent opposite the smithy in the online mode where you change your equipment.

This lets you save your current equipment set as a "Set" so if you have a few different armour sets you like to use/switch between this makes it tons faster to change gear than picking each part individually from the box.

Edited by Mokong
Automerged Doublepost

Cheers do that.

But with regards to the online tavern and port, I meant the actual option - you have single tavern and port, multi tavern and port and network play. Single is obvious, network play is playing online with people. But what's multi?

But what's multi?

Playing together locally with one Wii U and up to three 3DS consoles.

Jaggi Mask GET! YAY! :yay:

zveCBcj.jpg

Hang on a sec...

2Ka7tXC.jpg

Spd Gather? :sad:

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!! :weep:

Why Capcom?... WHY!? :blank:

You're going to scare the crap outta those jaggis when they see you rockin' their cousins head for a mask.

I wound up in bed sick last night with food poisoning (damn you Morrisons and your "fresh" Pizza!) so im still at the very start of the game. People have already gotten so far, good to see everyone on the friends list playing too ^_^

Playing together locally with one Wii U and up to three 3DS consoles.

Excellent, makes sense. Cheers!

Even though Monkong gave an excellent description, I'm still a little unsure on what the armour weapons deal. In theory can you build up the starting weapons to be as powerful as any other, or is it worth me not upgrading for a while and then buying superior weapons and upgrading them?

Not sure what to do... Bit of me wishes the game was a tad more friendly in the beginning...

Even though Monkong gave an excellent description, I'm still a little unsure on what the armour weapons deal. In theory can you build up the starting weapons to be as powerful as any other, or is it worth me not upgrading for a while and then buying superior weapons and upgrading them?

Not sure what to do... Bit of me wishes the game was a tad more friendly in the beginning...

What weapon are you using dazzy? I suggest going to the MH Wikia weapons page. For example, here we have the gunlance weapon tree. As you can see, the two basic weapons, iron GL and bone GL, branch out into a million different choices, including rarity 9 and 10 weapons. So yeah, do start upgrading, because those same weapons will lead to the end game weapons as well...

With armours, it's really about finding the armour that has the best skills for you. Again, this goes with the weapon you're using. Overall, it seems that all the rare 2-3 armours plus the hunter, alloy and bone from rare 1 have about the same max defense of around 500. So basically you could max any of these sets to get you through low rank. For example, I'm thinking of going either with the Rhenoplos (rare 2) because it has Gunnery for the Gunlance, or Barroth (rare 2) because it has Guard+1. Agnaktor (rare 3) has Guard+1 and Razor Sharp as well, plus Fire Attack +1.

So the first question really is: what weapon are you using?

Edited by Ville

Hash. Bloody hell his game is epic... At the monte sword and shield as I heard its a good beginners one, but I may have a bit of a dabble. For example when I was playing yesterday with jbs and blade it was clear it would have been useful if one of us was a bowman or gunner. Is it common to have a few different weapons you alternate, and then I presume that yu have different armours for different weapons... Oh boy...