NEurope
Zell

I'm off to Dublin!

On Friday I got a surprise call saying that I've been put on a project with a client based in Dublin! They've asked me to fly out tomorrow evening. I'll be in Dublin Monday to Thursday for the next 3 weeks.

Never been to Ireland before so naturally I'm very excited! At the same time, this is my first international project so I'm very nervous as well!

I honestly don't know very much about Dublin. What is there to do in Dublin? What are the main tourist sites to go visit? Also do a lot of places accept sterling?

Dublin is great. The pubs have a great atmosphere.

The main touristy site is the Guinness factory!

Everything is in €, so good luck using sterling :p

Ahh, that's awesome! I'd love to go to Ireland at some point, dunno why. Don't we have any dubliners around on the forum?

Dublin is great, bit expensive but great. Temple bar area is where it's for places to eat, drink, dance and meet people. So hang out there. Visit the Guinness factory and if you like whiskey go to Jameson's.

You need to get Euros. Come up to Belfast if you have time, we take your sterling here over the border in Northern Ireland. Belfast is better anyway. :p

Have fun!

Don't know much about Ireland, but from expatriate to expatriate, I wish you the best of luck :)

(Of course you should get Euros. Even I know that)

Bring loads of money, you'll need it. This country is a rip-off.

My sisters off to Dublin this weekend for a cook-off as part of her job, she's been before. It's expensive, but a nice place all the same.

Bring loads of money, you'll need it. This country is a rip-off.

I just hope he managed to read this three days ago ;)

How's it going so far, @Zell? Also am I right to take it they're flying you back and forth every few days? Must be a bit mental.

Are there places that accept sterling? lol, we're not part of the U.K., we only use the Euro. If you were to walk into any shop and ask if they accept sterling -- expect more than just a funny look. We're very proud people so be aware not to tread on people's patriotic nature. Associations made between us and England, however innocent they may be, could lead to quite a few pissed off folks, and rightfully so.

As for what to do in Dublin -- it's a small and close city. We're not exactly a "tourist" city so to make the most of Dublin, don't come here expecting wonderful tourist attractions. Of course, there's many castles you can visit, Trinity College, St. Stephen's Green, oh and Phoenix Park! Phoenix Park is wonderful -- the biggest park in Europe (the world?) and there's plenty of wild deer you can play with, and the President lives there too!

The National Gallery is also one of my favourite places to hang out, it's so inspiring. This comes with other museums and libraries, like the 'Dead Zoo' which is wonderful.

If you're feeling more adventurous -- get a bus to Dun Laoghaire, Howth, Killiney, the Botanic Gardens (in Glasnevin). I've also spent many days wondering around these places.

I think with Dublin, just relax and pace yourself. There's no rush here. It's quite relaxed and close together but not in a claustrophobic sense. Make sure to go to as many pubs as you can, sit down with some friends for a few hours and order some beer. The atmosphere is perfect. As lovely as Temple Bar is, it's certainly a tourist trap / fake Irish but it has lovely places nonetheless.

Thanks for the responses guys. Unfortunately I haven't had time to go exploring yet since work has been busy as fuck. 10-11 hours days are not fun. So far, I've had an early morning wander around the local park and went to see Lansdowne Road from the outside. Need to somehow find time to go to the Guinness and Jameson Distilleries and perhaps take a visit to Phoenix Park. Went out for Chinese one night and it wasn't as expensive as I thought it would be, perhaps I'm just used to London prices.

Also, all my Irish colleagues are warm, friendly and have lovely accents.