NEurope
Guy

ASMR - Relaxing feelings of... feeling like a creep?

Autonomous Sensory Meridian Response is a physical sensation characterized by a pleasurable tingling that typically begins in the head and scalp, and often moves down the spine and through the limbs.

Also known as : AIHO (Attention induced head orgasm), AIE (Attention induced euphoria), or simply "head orgasms"/"head tingles".

COMMON TRIGGERS:

• Slow speech patterns, accents, soft-speaking voices and whispers.
  • Lip sounds/smacking/eating
  • Clicking sounds, brushing sounds, white noise, etc.
  • Painting/drawing
  • Instructional videos
  • Watching other people performing simple tasks
  • Getting close, personal attention from someone (eye-exam, make-over, etc.)
  • Haircuts, people playing with your hair
  • Bob Ross.

(description and bullet points shamelessly stolen from the ASMR subReddit)

YouTube is bursting with "ASMR" videos at the moment and I've been exploring this thing over the last few weeks. From what I understand, a lot of people use them if they can't sleep and I'm sure some people use the videos for slightly more... deviant activities.

Some videos are just simple whispering/tapping videos that really chill me out if I'm stressed, others are somewhat intimate roleplays with cuteish girls which mostly make me feel like some weird stalker creep.

The 3D sound/binaural offerings are particularly interesting.

I guess a good way to "experience" ASMR would be just clicking this link and going through a few of the videos.

Anyone else sampled this seemingly forbidden fruit of Internet strangeness?

Don't have headphones, so can't check it out properly.

However that HeatherFeather's voice doesn't make me feel relaxed, it just irritates me. But then again I don't enjoy supposedly relaxing sounds, massages or many other things that people find relaxing (although laying on the grass, eyes closed next to a babbling brook = absolute heaven), so maybe I'm just a generally angry person.

Also, Guy, you haven't given your experiences/opinions on it.

(although laying on the grass, eyes closed next to a babbling brook = absolute heaven)

Damn you, Moogle, now I want to do this. I really miss summer. Can we just be done with this winter already?

Also, Guy, you haven't given your experiences/opinions on it.

Good point. I was worried the opening post was becoming way too cluttered so neglected to really elaborate on my personal thoughts/feelings.

I really like having random ASMR videos on in the background when I'm doing stuff as an alternative to music, but sometimes it can just be nice to watch them and just become invested in some random, repetitive act or sound.

As briefly mentioned above, I find a lot of the roleplay ones a bit unsettling. Most fail to simulate the intended effect and instead land in some weird area between intimate and creepy. It often feels like the person doing the videos knows exactly what kind of feelings they're pandering to, while acting totally oblivious to the real reason people are subscribed to their channel.

As a bonus, there's also a concept called

that a few of the AMRtists occassionally reference which absolutely BAFFLES ME. Edited by Guy

My friend introduced me to this concept, had it all my life and thought I was just a creep :p

As a bonus, there's also a concept called
that a few of the AMRtists occassionally reference which absolutely BAFFLES ME.

THIS I've heard about! I haven't look into it, but it intrigues me.

I find having a head massage to be the most relaxing feeling in the world.

But the science of this is based on drumming techniques used by Shamans for centuries - to introduce a relaxed state we use drums or repetitive rhythms to change the awareness of the brain. It's cool. :)

Try this one:

Yes, it's certainly triggering these euphoria-like feelings in my body, like a whole body orgasm of a sort. Seems to work best when letting the video just play in the background! : o

Very interesting...I've gotten these before, but after meditation or yoga when I still did those. Didn't even know what they were, but now there is a name and everything. Plus that a video is making it happen. That lady is totally turning me into butter, good lord...

I tried the video Ville spoke about with headphones on. The brush tapping was annoying and in general I felt like a paralysed patient with locked-in syndrome.

I tried the video Ville spoke about with headphones on. The brush tapping was annoying and in general I felt like a paralysed patient with locked-in syndrome.

Haha. I have it open in a separate video window, not actively paying too much attention to it yet it's clearly having an effect...

The girl in the video posted is an ASMR pro. She makes extremely cool videos. Great background listening for me.

There's another one on there, I think her username is SoftlyGaloshes? She has some very interesting binaural tapping/scratching videos.

I had no idea this was actually a thing - i thought it was just me being weird!

I've felt this from many thing in the past, but didn't realise that other people felt it and actually created videos to stimulate it.

There were some weird Photoshop instructional videos i found a while back, by this guy with a weird voice, but for some reason i found it very relaxing, so would often put them on in the background while working.

Also, the watching someone complete a simple task thing is weird too. I remember once when my cousin was very small (about 7) he was playing on Animal Crossing, and i would enjoy watching him play or just inputting words into the onscreen keyboard because it would stimulate these relaxing feelings. Very weird.

I want secret forbidden orgasms. :(

Nope, they're forbidden. And secret.

Why are we even talking about this? Talking about what? Oh, look, flowers!

I remember once when my cousin was very small (about 7) he was playing on Animal Crossing,

I want secret forbidden orgasms. :(

Can we not call them this please....:blank:

Can we not call them this please....:blank:

You're right, "orgasmic feelings induced from staring creepily at videos of women talking to you" sounds much better.

I haven't watched any yet, because I've noticed mentions of binaural audio and headphones - does one need headphones for this to be any good? Cos I don't really have any/probably won't stretch to my computer anyway. Sounds interesting, though.

(totally gonna be a asmr creep)

I haven't watched any yet, because I've noticed mentions of binaural audio and headphones - does one need headphones for this to be any good? Cos I don't really have any/probably won't stretch to my computer anyway. Sounds interesting, though.

(totally gonna be a asmr creep)

Nope, at least the video I posted works just fine with normal speakers. I mean they have L ja R too.

I'm not sure it works on everybody. I would have thought that if you haven't had these sort of relaxing feelings at this point in your life, then you won't suddenly get them by listening to a video. But maybe i'm wrong. I tried listening to a few of the intentional ones, and just found them creepy and weird.