NEurope
Charlie

Television

The problem with Sean Bean (other than his name; it should be Shaun Baun or Seen Been, not both!) is that he always seems to be putting on a bad Sheffield accent. Even though that is his real accent. How can a man go through life like that?

I think it's because he often has to tone down his accent for the southern ponces.

@Dog\-amoto I don't know what it is about the show. I crammed in seasons 3+ then anything I tried to watch afterwards was just... missing something. I would agree it's not upper echelon business, but the production value is insane. It's just so well set; costume and set design alone let you seep into the era. Characters are built up extremely well and very few are left to become 2D, something Breaking Bad (Saul Goodman! even Skyler) is guilty of.

None of the seasons really feel complete, yet they always leave me with a nagging feeling - a sensation to return for more Mad Men that I can't fully explain.

Am enjoying Mad Men, it's good but I wouldn't class it as absolutely essential, certainly not on the same level as The Wire, Sopranos or Breaking Bad. Though I am only just on series 2 so maybe I'll get into it more as it progresses.

Breaking Bad on the same level as The Wire and Sopranos? oO

iFSqI0iRLg5qI.gif

Also, Mad Men is VASTLY superior to Breaking Bad in every single way. BB might have slightly more entertainment value, but the writing, pacing, narrative, acting and cinematography are all completely trumped by Mad Men... And even Mad Men doesn't come close to Wire/Sop.

Anywho, my suggestion is that you watch something different but on the same level of Wire/Sopranos like Berlin Alexanderplatz, Heimat or Dekalog. There's more to the world than the USA, you know?

If you do want something in english, though... Band Of Brothers or Deadwood.

I think it's because he often has to tone down his accent for the southern ponces.

As a man born into a Northern Family who migrated to the South, I can see both sides of this: Southerners are smarmy little snot-piles who think they've got the best of everything.

On the other hand, most Northerners are about as well-dressed, thoughtful, creative and intelligent as a brick wall wearing a flat cap.

Back to TV:

Frost and even Rumpole of the Bailey are good choices.

How about the classic Cracker? Robbie Coltrane is an everything-addicted psychiatrist lumbering from one end of 90s Manchester to the next chugging hard scotch and chomping on cigarettes like pokko sticks. Every now and again he throws some punk into a table and says something subtly misogynistic before lumbering off to tell the Chief Inspector he's a prick, scotch-cigarette-gambling-cigratte-scotch-infedility-cigarette-scotch. Christopher Ecclestone plays the DI and is yet to go bald (unfortunately).

Edited by gaggle64