NEurope
Daft

Nohomophobes

I think it's a little weird how a link to a website can fuel such a massive discussion here... :)

I agree with Debug Mode. People tend to be offended by words instead of intent. Like here:

People don't accept the word's usage outside of a derogatory intent, either. I also remember chairdriver being angry at an old nursery rhyme (Ten Little Niggers, I think?) for the same reason.

That's some Voldemort bullshit right there. When I first started reading Harry Potter, I thought the most stupid thing was how everyone was afraid of saying his name, as if that would happen with Hitler or Osama bin Laden. And yet, here I see it, being afraid of a word.

Regarding "no homo", it just means "

". Hetero versions of the situation happen in romantic comedies all the time, except there's no catchy way of saying it, so we know it's perfectly, socially acceptable. Should gay people be offended because "homo" is also used by homophobes? Next thing you know, people are going to be offended by the expression "go home" because xenophobes and racists have used it.

Fagoot was an insult long before it was homophobic.

Really? First time I'm hearing it. Typos are funny

I think it's a little weird how a link to a website can fuel such a massive discussion here... :)

That's one of the great things about this forum. :)

I agree with Debug Mode. People tend to be offended by words instead of intent. Like here:

Holy shit, I'd have been terrified! :laughing: If Samuel L. Jackson tells you to say something, you say it! :heh:

People don't accept the word's usage outside of a derogatory intent, either. I also remember chairdriver being angry at an old nursery rhyme (Ten Little Niggers, I think?) for the same reason.

That's some Voldemort bullshit right there. When I first started reading Harry Potter, I thought the most stupid thing was how everyone was afraid of saying his name, as if that would happen with Hitler or Osama bin Laden. And yet, here I see it, being afraid of a word.

Regarding "no homo", it just means "

". Hetero versions of the situation happen in romantic comedies all the time, except there's no catchy way of saying it, so we know it's perfectly, socially acceptable. Should gay people be offended because "homo" is also used by homophobes? Next thing you know, people are going to be offended by the expression "go home" because xenophobes and racists have used it.

Really? First time I'm hearing it. Typos are funny

Haha, I love SamueL - would have loved it if the guy had actually said it; wanted to see how it would have gone!

(also I know it's too nerdy and it wasn't your point but there was good reason for not saying voldemort's name given it was all once cursed up and shit innit)

I don't remember where I got this from, but apparently Jackson was trying to get the reporter to say nigger because he didn't feel like it was worth discussing a word when you can't even say it.

(also I know it's too nerdy and it wasn't your point but there was good reason for not saying voldemort's name given it was all once cursed up and shit innit)

Yes, by the seventh book, Voldemort got some clever use out of that fear. However, before then, it was just an irrational fear of the word. Even kids feared the word before they understood why they should fear Voldemort.

Holy shit, I'd have been terrified! :laughing: If Samuel L. Jackson tells you to say something, you say it! :heh:

What if he tells you to say "what" one more goddamn time? :heh:

Yes, by the seventh book, Voldemort got some clever use out of that fear. However, before then, it was just an irrational fear of the word. Even kids feared the word before they understood why they should fear Voldemort.

You know, despite reading them all just a month or two ago I somehow managed to convince myself that there was originally a taboo on his name back in the day; I can now find no such thing to support it. My apologies in suggesting otherwise!

I don't remember where I got this from, but apparently Jackson was trying to get the reporter to say nigger because he didn't feel like it was worth discussing a word when you can't even say it.

I think that was the point? That people's fear of saying the word itself is stupid? But I may have misunderstood that.

This is correct.

You don't! :p That was a dare, though; he didn't actually want him to say it! :heh:

I think that was the point? That people's fear of saying the word itself is stupid? But I may have misunderstood that.

Yeah, I was just responding to Jonnas' post about him getting pissed off without looking at the reporter's intent. I'm saying he was fine with it, but felt the reporter was being way too PC.

Oh yeah, that was the point, yes. It was the reporter who was afraid of saying it, even though there would be no insulting intent behind it.

I wish gays would stop trying to steal all of these words for their own. Language evolves. Why can't I call somebody a faggot or a poof? I've never used either of those words to describe a gay man (unless they were being a faggot or a poof). Claiming that the insult is within the roots of the word is completely idiotic, considering "gay" used to mean happy, ad had nothing to do with homosexuality.

I truly despair if people honestly think in this way. Sad.