NEurope
Retro_Link

Assassins Creed IV: Black Flag

I finally finished off all the single player trophies today. Man, you need a crazy amount of money to afford all the ship upgrades.

The legendary ship battles were a bitch!

The one with two ships I found to be the easiest, while the hardest one for me was the one that kept trying to ram you. It was so fast it made it hard to manoeuvre for a good shot.

I'm not sure if I have the strength to go for the multiplayer ones yet. I may give it a break for now. Methinks I'm all Creeded out for the moment. :D

Eenuh/Ine suggested yesterday that maybe she should give the game a try. I was about to pop it in for myself and she just finished Strider so needed something to play, so I thought "...ok."

She's been addicted to it. Don't think she's moved all day. I wonder if I'll ever be able to use my PS4 ever again.

Oooooh you are such a liar! You told me I should play the game, I never suggested it myself, pffff. Plus you have had all Summer to play games, now is my turn. =P

I pretty much spent all day playing this. Done most of the side missions in Havana and have made my way to Nassau. This is the first time I am playing a game like this so it is all very new, but I am enjoying it. =D

Oooooh you are such a liar! You told me I should play the game, I never suggested it myself, pffff. Plus you have had all Summer to play games, now is my turn. =P

Don't listen to her lies, people.

Anyway, @Sheikah...fuck, this game is amazing. Very, very beautiful. It seems huge in scale. Ine has easily spent more than 20 hours on this in the last three days.

Don't listen to her lies, people.

Anyway, @Sheikah...fuck, this game is amazing. Very, very beautiful. It seems huge in scale. Ine has easily spent more than 20 hours on this in the last three days.

Yeah, it's brilliant. :D

Love the tropical/exotic surroundings. The AC series excels in its environments, it's one of the reasons I didn't like ACIII.

I pretty much spent all day playing this. Done most of the side missions in Havana and have made my way to Nassau. This is the first time I am playing a game like this so it is all very new, but I am enjoying it. =D

You have just become like, the coolest woman I know.

You have just become like, the coolest woman I know.

What, you didn't already know that I was? =P

I am still very much into this game, have the pirate fever! I have mostly ignored the main story I guess and gone for side quests and just random assassination/plundering sprees. Love doing the different assassinations like jumping on top of them from above or running up to them and knifing them down. =D

Also, the battles with the ships are great! I have been slowly upgrading my ship so I can attack the bigger ones, love using mortars haha. Captured 3 frigates yesterday as well and started Kenway's Fleet, which I can see as being very addictive. Been using the app today, just need to figure out how to actually get the money in the game now. =)

Also, with the treasure maps, is there any trick to finding the actual treasure? I went to one of the locations it indicated (used the co-ordinates) and just couldn't find the treasure. Weird.

Berserk darts are all you really need for an assassination. Just hit the target from a distance and let his own guards do the rest.

What, you didn't already know that I was? =P

I am still very much into this game, have the pirate fever! I have mostly ignored the main story I guess and gone for side quests and just random assassination/plundering sprees. Love doing the different assassinations like jumping on top of them from above or running up to them and knifing them down. =D

Also, the battles with the ships are great! I have been slowly upgrading my ship so I can attack the bigger ones, love using mortars haha. Captured 3 frigates yesterday as well and started Kenway's Fleet, which I can see as being very addictive. Been using the app today, just need to figure out how to actually get the money in the game now. =)

Also, with the treasure maps, is there any trick to finding the actual treasure? I went to one of the locations it indicated (used the co-ordinates) and just couldn't find the treasure. Weird.

Try compare what you see on the treasure map to a part of the region map or the surroundings (e.g. buildings/trees). When you walk over the right spot, 'x' will say 'dig'.

Berserk darts are all you really need for an assassination. Just hit the target from a distance and let his own guards do the rest.

Don't have those yet, can see them being interesting to use though. =D

Try compare what you see on the treasure map to a part of the region map or the surroundings (e.g. buildings/trees). When you walk over the right spot, 'x' will say 'dig'.

Yeah I managed to find the first treasure fine (well, after lots of walking around in the same spot), but my second one I just couldn't find. Will have to try again with some other maps and see how I do.

As someone not usually into the genre what is it about it that's appealing to you compared to your usual tastes?

What would you consider your usual tastes actually? I for one have never played the AC series - but I'm always interested by what factors manage to get gamers to diversify, as it were.

Yeah but it's hilarious when two guards are having a really emphatic discussion and you berzerk one. Usually the other guard slays his buddy, who he was just talking to about correct technique for beating slaves or whatever, and then goes over to chill in the corner. Makes no fucking sense.

As someone not usually into the genre what is it about it that's appealing to you compared to your usual tastes?

What would you consider your usual tastes actually? I for one have never played the AC series - but I'm always interested by what factors manage to get gamers to diversify, as it were.

This is probably the first open world type game I have played so it feels very liberating I guess haha. I can do whatever I want. =P

Plus I have always liked pirate type games so this hits the right spot. I played hoursss of Pirates! on the NES so this feels like a really advanced version of that haha.

Not even sure what my usual tastes are, only ever had Nintendo consoles (and a few PC games). "Recent" games I played were Pikmin 3, Wonderful 101, Wind Waker HD, Fire Emblem: Awakening. And I played Strider on the PS4 before playing AC.

But yeah not sure what it is, it is my first proper "next generation" game/PS4 game, I am loving the visuals with all the lovely scenery, love sailing my ship around and plundering other ships, love the "parkour" aspect of the game of just climbing onto absolutely everything and then jumping down to kill people.

It took me a bit of time to get used to the controls and the fighting, but I enjoy it and look forward to playing more in the next few days. I am barely even touching the main mission as I enjoy going around just exploring and doing side missions. =)

Edited by Eenuh

Thanks @Eenuh, guess it's something that just sort of happened by chance but glad you like it. Would you ever now consider other games in the series?

As far as me, as I said I've never played the AC series but the fact it's enough to get yourself on board from nowhere I'm starting to feel tempted(albeit for my Wii U) - I think I watched my mate play it for a bit one time, but I didn't really know what was going on/what he was doing. Think I've missed the boat(alol) on dirt cheap clearances though. Maybe a borrow is in order, despite not really seeing him for months...

Damn, I envy you folks that haven't played AC yet and are going in fresh to Black Flag. Great title to introduce you into the series since the game is almost like standalone (the character you play as is new in this game and different to the one in all the previous games). Most of all though, because you get the parkour elements for the first time along with the beautiful environments and sailing.

If you've not played the series before, get this. :)

Ahahahhahaa. My sides.

Ine is doing a mission where she has to rescue some prisoners who are being guarded. She decides to use the berserker dart on one of the guards. It all seemed fine at first. He took care of about two or three other guards and all seemed ok. Then, the guard went on a full on killing spree and destroyed the two prisoners who were nearby. Ine's cries of "noooooooooooooooo!" made my night. Fucking brilliant.

Damn, I envy you folks that haven't played AC yet and are going in fresh to Black Flag. Great title to introduce you into the series since the game is almost like standalone (the character you play as is new in this game and different to the one in all the previous games). Most of all though, because you get the parkour elements for the first time along with the beautiful environments and sailing.

If you've not played the series before, get this. :)

So I finally got round this finishing this and did wonder though if your new character is going to carry on the rest etc....

All the future stuff this time round was insane but kind of in a fun way!

Thread bump.

Got this for Christmas on PS4 rather than Unity. I did ask for this one however, it wasn't a mistake on the list ;)

Completed it yesterday and have to say that it was a blast. In the AC series I've only played 1 and 3. This was completely different and in a good way.

I loved the setting and environment. I loved the sea shanties when travelling to new locations. The battles in the sea and boarding Spanish and English fleets was amazing and I enjoyed strategically picking ships based on their loot in helping me to upgrade the Jackdaw.

I've not completed the upgrades to the ship yet or the side quest items, just the main memory sequences.

Have to say the final sequences I was a little put off doing them as I was getting to the point where tailing missions were beginning to grate on me a little. And you could guarantee at least one sequence would involve tailing someone. It was the actual 'Assassins Creed' parts of the game I ended up disliking the most.

I also really like the idea of managing your own fleet built up of the ships you take over. I've got the Jackdaw to a level high enough to take on Man o War ships but only when they are on their own. So my fleet now has 4 Man o War's but i'll be adding more as I can.

I'm guessing I'll need to fully do the ship up before tackling the 4 legendary ships in each corner of the map. But it's something I definitely want to tackle.

As said now it's completed, I'm moving onto another game of i got for Christmas in Call of Duty Advance Warfare, but I'll be playing at least a while longer on AC4 just continuing to pillage other fleets ships in order to upgrade mine and complete the naval contracts and legendary ships.

tl:dr > 1st AC game I've liked out of 3 I played. Completed it, will continue to play more side quest stuff though. Give me a open world pirate game some time soon please.

I'm actually a little bit sad that I completed this and have to play other games instead. I wish it was 2014 again.

Well, you could always play the two Assassin's Creed games they've released since.

And would either of those two allow me to splice the mainsail? Or plunder the ocean blue? Or swash as much buckle as I saw fit? No. I didn't think so.

And would either of those two allow me to splice the mainsail? Or plunder the ocean blue? Or swash as much buckle as I saw fit? No. I didn't think so.

Rogue does.