NEurope
Fused King

Your Favourite Game OF ALL TIME (up to this point)

I absolutely loved Spiderman 2. Played that for hours and hours. Or possibly Pokemon Red, got a lot of memories of that game too.

Also, the title of this thread is overconstrained.

It's really hard to die down a single favourite as there are so many games (particular from the n64 era) that I really love... I think for me it comes down to a choice between Super Mario World and Banjo Kazooie. Banjo Kazooie probably wins just from the benefit of being a more advanced game therefore it has a lot more to offer, but Super Mario World has platforming and exploration before it was really a thing.

They both manage to feel like really big games and even to this day I could spend more time on a playthrough than I would on a game like Bioshock or something. They both offer a lot of freedom which you don't get enough of these days. The Mario Galaxy games feel really linear to me while Super Mario World has multiple words and ways to get between them. Sure there's a set path but you can wander off it at points and even go back to find all the secrets you missed.

They both offer such amazing replay value to me and of course I have a lot of amazing memories of playing them both so that adds a lot. I think replay value has a lot to do with making a game a favourite. If you can come back to it and continue to have that new game feeling when you play it, it's going to be a winner.

I just realized I have to mention Fire Emblem for the GBA, as I keep replaying that game over and over again, and I love pretty much everything about it. It has to be favouritism at work.

Melee is still my favourite, though, as it also fits the criteria, and it also includes good Multiplayer.

Funny seeing Lost Odyssey mentioned, as I'm currently playing through it and I'm constantly wondering why the hell it didn't get more love. There's nothing REALLY extraordinary/memorable or different about it, but it's very good at what it does, it's even weirder that it got such a tepid reception considering everyone was constantly complaining about lack of good JRPGs this gen, it kind of baffles the mind, to be honest...

Nice article, except for the EverQuest mention. Lol. EverQuest. Actually, scratch that... Lol. Every MMORPG ever.

This is really hard, I have a general top 5 which seem to shift every few months or so... But nah, I've decided once and for all it has to be...

DONKEY KONG COUNTRY 2: DIDDY'S KONG QUEST

donkey-kong-country-2-diddy-kongs-quest-20041007112518902.jpg

Everything about it is magical to me, the themes, the music, the memories, the nostalgia. The levels themselves and the perfect controls, the awesome designs and the first game to truly capture my imagination.

I'd played and enjoyed a few games up to that point such as Super Mario All-Stars and Sonic, but it was when I first played, and finally completed, this amazing title that I become a true gamer. Heck, without this I may not even be that into videogames today. I should thank my parents really, for randomly buying this me one Christmas!

My young mind couldn't handle the beauty of Gloomy Gulch

Also, dat ending.

donkeykongcountry2.jpg

Edited by Josh64

You say Brawl because of dat vid, what about Melee because of 'dis vid'...

I remember NGC magazine giving away a DVD of trailers from E3 or something, which had that video on it, and i watched it so many times in anticipation for Melee.

This is really hard, I have a general top 5 which seem to shift every few months or so... But nah, I've decided once and for all it has to be...

DONKEY KONG COUNTRY 2: DIDDY'S KONG QUEST

donkey-kong-country-2-diddy-kongs-quest-20041007112518902.jpg

Everything about it is magical to me, the themes, the music, the memories, the nostalgia. The levels themselves and the perfect controls, the awesome designs and the first game to truly capture my imagination.

I'd played and enjoyed a few games up to that point such as Super Mario All-Stars and Sonic, but it was when I first played, and finally completed, this amazing title that I become a true gamer. Heck, without this I may not even be that into videogames today. I should thank my parents really, for randomly buying this me one Christmas!

My young mind couldn't handle the beauty of Gloomy Gulch

Also, dat ending.

donkeykongcountry2.jpg

You are a great man, and I salute you.

This is awkward... I consider DKC 1/2/3 to be part of the worse crap Nintendo has ever churned out, and I completely fail to understand how or why they are loved. DKCR is a different breed of beast, however... now that's a great game! I must hate Rare, I guess... I only learned they were all Rare games later on, but my complete lack of empathy towards any and every Rare game ever is weird. I liked Conker's humor, but that's it. I hate DKC 1,2&3, both Banjo games, Goldeneye and Perfect Dark. I only just realized they were all Rare games a short while ago, but there's something about the way they make their games that makes me hate them... I guess Conker and Starfox Adventure were okay-ish. But the DKC games in particular infuriate me, where everyone else sees genius, I see nothing but an unenjoyable and unplayable mess.

This is awkward... I consider DKC 1/2/3 to be part of the worse crap Nintendo has ever churned out, and I completely fail to understand how or why they are loved. DKCR is a different breed of beast, however... now that's a great game! I must hate Rare, I guess... I only learned they were all Rare games later on, but my complete lack of empathy towards any and every Rare game ever is weird. I liked Conker's humor, but that's it. I hate DKC 1,2&3, both Banjo games, Goldeneye and Perfect Dark. I only just realized they were all Rare games a short while ago, but there's something about the way they make their games that makes me hate them... I guess Conker and Starfox Adventure were okay-ish. But the DKC games in particular infuriate me, where everyone else sees genius, I see nothing but an unenjoyable and unplayable mess.

Haha, well that's new : D I think most of Rare's games were totally brilliant, but I do have to agree that the DKC games have a certain repulsive element to them. They're great games technically, but I just find them somewhat depressing to play...must be the colours or something, the atmosphere just looks and feels like a dirty festival of anxiety xS

You guys are certifiably insane! :p The Donkey Kong Country games are pure gaming gold; Rare were the masters back in that era.

I can't believe some of these comments! The atmosphere is one of the best things about it! But then again I am a dirty festival of anxiety myself, so perhaps that's why :p

both Banjo games, Goldeneye...

...Starfox Adventure

The fuck is this shit?

And you call yourself an authority on quality.

I can't believe some of these comments! The atmosphere is one of the best things about it! But then again I am a dirty festival of anxiety myself, so perhaps that's why :p

Haha : D No, I think they are very quality games and look great, but I just can't help it, there's something very depressing about the style too. After beating DKC3 I was like "thank god this is over, no more giant wasps, enormous screen-filling sawblades or claustrophobic tunnels with poison gas o_O" They're much grittier and dirtier than for example Mario games...and probably more difficult too. The music is also much more moody, whereas with Mario it's quite upbeat.

Yeah, that's what I love, the moody atmosphere :P Though I have to say, I've never liked DKC 3. It always felt so lame in comparison to the others and I hated how all the enemies seemed to turn slightly robotic. Also, the music just didn't compare at all.

The fuck is this shit?

And you call yourself an authority on quality.

I don't know what to tell you here... the Banjo games championed that "Jak And Daxter" type of platformer that I just could never get into or respect. As for Goldeneye and Perfect Dark, I was a PC gamer at the time, you can imagine how shit Goldeneye and Perfect Dark seemed to me by remembering that while the console people were praising and loving those, I was having my way with Half Life, the System Shock games, Quake 2, Rainbow Six, Duke Nukem 3D or even stuff like Deus Ex... Goldeneye/Perfect Dark were average FPS games, the only thing that made them stand out was that they were on consoles instead of PC. Seriously, everything Rare touches is way too mediocre for me to be able to enjoy. The Banjo games invented my least favourite type of platformer, DKC 1/2/3 were a joke when compared to the Mario/Sonic games, especially because those crappy 3D gfx meant you were never really sure when something was an platform or just background... And GoldenEye/Perfect Dark were run-of-the-mill FPS games... not bad games, but they didn't really add anything to the table that wasn't already being done 3x better on the PC. I mean, c'mon, I don't understand the appeal of playing an FPS on splitscreen when you could be playing Quake 2 online with people from all over the world... FPS games don't work well with splitscreen! People see what you're doing/where you are and nobody's able to play seriously... and yeah it was kind of fun to goof around with, but when you could be playing F-Zero, Smash Bros or Mario Kart, I just don't see the point... at all. The birth of truly satisfying FPS gaming on consoles only came about in the 128 gen when stuff like Halo and Black started showing up... that Goldeneye/Timesplitters 2 way of playing just doesn't work well enough for it to be viable.

Then there's Conker which was another Banjo-like example of the type of platformer I don't like, but was kind of saved by it's humor.

Starfox Adventures was the final nail in the coffin... a decent game, but a game that pretty much represents the paradigm of what Rare did so well: average uninspiring games. That's just my two cents... I know I'm in the minority here, but fuck it... everyone has some acclaimed and supposedly brilliant games they don't like or get... at all... mine are Rare's games and Final Fantasy VII.

Starfox Adventures was the final nail in the coffin... a decent game, but a game that pretty much represents the paradigm of what Rare did so well: average uninspiring games. That's just my two cents... I know I'm in the minority here, but fuck it... everyone has some acclaimed and supposedly brilliant games they don't like or get... at all... mine are Rare's games and Final Fantasy VII.

You've gone too far this time. Fetch the crossbow, Tubbs.

done 3x better on the PC. I mean, c'mon, I don't understand the appeal of playing an FPS on splitscreen when you could be playing Quake 2 online with people from all over the world... FPS games don't work well with splitscreen! People see what you're doing/where you are and nobody's able to play seriously... and yeah it was kind of fun to goof around with, but when you could be playing F-Zero, Smash Bros or Mario Kart,

First of all, that paragraph was pretty long, fucker.

Splitscreen was awesome for Perfect Dark. Yes, you could see where people are, but that worked unbelievably well when you had teams/you and your mates against the simulants. Also, even if you could see where people were, they could see where you were, so there was still some sort of tactical element to it. It made it harder to get kills, knowing that your mates knew where you were.

I've got some incredible memories of that and Goldeneye where I basically set remote mines/proximity mines around a room where my brother was, and he was watching me do it. His expression at the time was "shit, no way out." Pretty hilarious. Miss those days.

I mean, c'mon, I don't understand the appeal of playing an FPS on splitscreen when you could be playing Quake 2 online with people from all over the world... FPS games don't work well with splitscreen! People see what you're doing/where you are and nobody's able to play seriously...

What do you think bed sheets and masking tape were invented for?

5b57e3e0e37acfe008fe30a731fa05be-kids-are-split-screen-pros.jpg

Yes, we did play Quake in the school computer class in primary school, but Goldeneye and Perfect Dark were way more fun in multiplayer. I mean Perfect Dark even had multiplayer co-op challenges, which you could play with any number of players (!). Some of these were tough as nails, but we did manage beating every single one with my brother and our friends, and it was a total blast. Plus you could name all the A.I. teams and the game even had a primitive levelling up system, where you gained new titles with more exp. Overall, it was just a ton of fun, and the splitscreen never bothered us even with 3 to 4 players.

You've gone too far this time. Fetch the crossbow, Tubbs.

Don't get me started on FFVII... Having just given it another go a month or so ago, the pain is too fresh to even go there again. It does NOTHING right.

Splitscreen was awesome for Perfect Dark. Yes, you could see where people are, but that worked unbelievably well when you had teams/you and your mates against the simulants. Also, even if you could see where people were, they could see where you were, so there was still some sort of tactical element to it. It made it harder to get kills, knowing that your mates knew where you were.

I've got some incredible memories of that and Goldeneye where I basically set remote mines/proximity mines around a room where my brother was, and he was watching me do it. His expression at the time was "shit, no way out." Pretty hilarious. Miss those days.

This would all make sense if we were arguing wether or not it was fun. Which it was. But from a gameplay perspective there was nothing truly great about it. "Good with friends" hardly counts, here... I've had tons of fun playing the most atrocious games there are, all because it was with friends. Fuck, even cancer would be kind of ok, with friends. The great memories people have about Goldeneye and Perfect Dark are rarely about the game itself, and much more about how much fun they had with their friends while playing it. At least GoldenEye was kind of worth it when it came out, since there wasn't really that much else out there, but Perfect Dark? Gimme a break, Perfect Dark came about after the Half Life/Unreal explosion... it was fun, sure, but not nearly as fun as playing CS/Unreal or any other of the heavy hitters with 11 other mates at a random lanhouse. There's just no comparing...

Yes, we did play Quake in the school computer class in primary school, but Goldeneye and Perfect Dark were way more fun in multiplayer. I mean Perfect Dark even had multiplayer co-op challenges, which you could play with any number of players (!). Some of these were tough as nails, but we did manage beating every single one with my brother and our friends, and it was a total blast. Plus you could name all the A.I. teams and the game even had a primitive levelling up system, where you gained new titles with more exp. Overall, it was just a ton of fun, and the splitscreen never bothered us even with 3 to 4 players.

Enjoyment is such a personal thing that there' really no point arguing it further... but I completely disagree. Perfect Dark in particular felt ridiculously underwhelming by the time it came out, it was basically just riding the System Shock 2/Half Life wave of newly renewed interest in Sci-Fi, whilst being incredibly inferior in every single way, possessing neither the gameplay polish of HL nor the narritve/atmosphere of System Shock 2... And the MP was completely outdated by the time the game came out... I mean, c'mon, the game released right in the middle of the Counter Strike boom, they never even had a chance... =/ It's like comparing Wrath Of Khan to Blade Runner, Empire Strikes Back and Alien.

This is a horrible question, a HORRIBLE question! Ive been playing games since i was 5 years old and im now 32, locking down that single experiance that was for me the best is nigh on impossible. Off the top of my head without thinking about the ins and outs of everything id go with Final Fantasy VII...i know i can already hear people rolling their eyes but it was at the time i played it the most perfectly crafted game i had ever played.

Time has passed and the graphics really show their age and the translation wasnt as accurate as it could be, but for me the game had one of the best sound tracks ever composed (One Winged Angel and some of the boss battle music spring to mind), some of the most heart breaking story telling and the summoning cut scenes went from nice (Hades, Shiva) to completely bonkers (Bahumut Zero, Knights of the Round). I also really dug the art style that eventually made its way into Advent Children, Kingdom Hearts and Vagrant Story. It was really the first time in a game that i felt a real attchment to the characters and realised just how important a strong antagonist could be.

Haha : D No, I think they are very quality games and look great, but I just can't help it, there's something very depressing about the style too. After beating DKC3 I was like "thank god this is over, no more giant wasps, enormous screen-filling sawblades or claustrophobic tunnels with poison gas o_O" They're much grittier and dirtier than for example Mario games...and probably more difficult too. The music is also much more moody, whereas with Mario it's quite upbeat.

YES! And that's exactly why I love them so much! :D Gah ... I can't even form a coherent sentence about the glorious atmosphere of those games!