NEurope
Hero-of-Time

How Often Do You Revisit Old Games?

So far this year I have played through a bunch of retro games. These include Super Mario World, Zelda: LTTP, DKC 1-3, Resident Evil 2+3, Luigi's Mansion and F-Zero. I have also just started playing Oddworld on the PSP and Zelda 2 on the 3DS.

I never used to be like this at all. I often found myself concentrating and the new releases and finishing one before moving on to the next, not giving a second thought to games I had previously played. Now, for whatever reason, i'm finding immense joy from going back through these classic games.

How often do you go back and play games from your childhood or just ones you have previously beaten and enjoyed?

Actually, last year I played through a ton of old games I never finished before, like Zelda 1 & 2, Metroid, Double Dragon II & III, Snake Rattle N Roll, Batman & Return of the Joker, Blue Shadow, Rygar, Castlevania, Gun.Smoke, Donkey Kong Country 3, Super Mario Bros 3 & Lost Levels, Sonic 1-3 & Knuckles, Ice Climbers, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Probotector II and so on.

I have to say that beating those games was just awesome. Something very cool about finally finishing a retro classic that was part of your childhood, but you never beat. Highly recommended.

Sometimes I think about replaying games, but there are always so many new games I want to play first. :sad:

I replayed Thief 2 and Deus Ex a couple of years ago, and that was a lot of fun, so I should definitely replay more games. Rediscovering a good game years later when you've forgotten almost everything about it is pretty great.

But I obsessively keep a list of every new game I've finished, so I find it hard to sacrifice adding new games to that list in order to replay old ones. Plus I feel like, I already know that Thief 2 is a good game, you know? So it'd be more beneficial to find out whether or not Persona 2 is a good game too.

Sometimes I think about replaying games, but there are always so many new games I want to play first. :sad:

I replayed Thief 2 and Deus Ex a couple of years ago, and that was a lot of fun, so I should definitely replay more games. Rediscovering a good game years later when you've forgotten almost everything about it is pretty great.

Yeah, that's how it's been for me.

I totally agree with you about rediscovering games. It's like when I replayed Luigi's Mansion yesterday. I loved it back at the Cube launch, but hadn't played it since. I found I remembered very little about it when I played through it again, but still had that same satisfying feeling once it was finished.

I think that's a true sign of a timeless game. The graphics/controls may have aged but if you still enjoy playing it after all those years then that makes it a keeper in my eyes.

I know it's not as old as some of the games listed, but I often find myself playing GTA:4 over and over again.

But I think I've played Shenmue around 10 times, Knights of the old Republic multiple times...

I've also had an urge to replay Windwaker again, but really should focus on some other games i've yet to open (Portal 2, Vanquish, Dishonored)

I love playing all of my old favourites from time to time :hehe: I've recently played through Super Mario World and Super Mario Kart, improved my scores on Pilotwings 64 and unlocked the final remaining cars and mirror track on Top Gear Rally :yay:

If I'm honest, I got way more joy out of playing those games in the last few weeks than I have playing anything 'new' but when I think of all the unfinished games I have, or even those that have barely begun, I often feel like I should be playing those instead. If anything, having so many games can feel like a burden at times when all I really want to do is get the maximum out of the games I love..

Honestly I think the only game I have ever played through again is Ocarina of Time!... and even then it would only be firing up a save partway through the game; well until Ocarina of Time 3D came along, then I played through it properly.

I usually have another game lined up to play as I only play one at a time.

However some more recent games are getting clever with their replay potential... like Heavy Rain and Infamous... games that allow you to make different choices. These I'm more likely to give a replay at some point, but still not instead of a new game.

Im in the middle of setting up a games room, currently got NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, GB, GBA, DS, DSi.

3DS stays in my pocket when im out and about, Wii U is in the living room.

I'll be creating some sort of downlighting for the systems and hand-helds will get there own square shelves on the wall (as well as Hyrule Historia) Once it's finished I'll get some pictures up, but don't expect them any time soon. Also the NES and SNES have gone a funky colour with age, I was thinking about taking them apart and spraying them so all the console match.

So to answer the original post, I will be playing them a lot more now they are out of storage :)

(was playing chip and dale rescue rangers NES over the weekend)

Hardly ever, to be honest.

This is because I (usually) sell my consoles, unless they host a real favourite of mine that I think I won't be able to play in the future. In this regard I've kept my GameCube with Wind Waker, Twilight Princess + Metroid Prime, and my Game Boy Micro with Metroid Fusion + Metroid: Zero Mission. Even then, I tend to play my favourite games several times whilst the games machine is still current.

Now remakes and digital downloads are another matter. I loved Link's Awakening back in the day, but sold it years ago. Getting the colourised version on 3DS was a real pleasure. That's what it comes down to, really, for me. I love to play an old favourite when it becomes available again in a "boosted" form.

Not often enough...playing through Links Awakening again but that's the first time for a while. It's why BC is less important in consoles than people would like to make out it is (personally)

I know it's not as old as some of the games listed, but I often find myself playing GTA:4 over and over again.

But I think I've played Shenmue around 10 times, Knights of the old Republic multiple times...

I've also had an urge to replay Windwaker again, but really should focus on some other games i've yet to open (Portal 2, Vanquish, Dishonored)

The first Knights of the Old Republic is one of the few games I happily go back to every now and then just because it's such a fantastic game. I'm long overdue for another playthrough, though. Perhaps in the coming weeks.

I don't really go back to too many old games. The original Sonics on the Megadrive (and a handful of other Megadrive titles) and Star Soldier (PC Engine) through the Wii VC are probably the only ones I regularly go through.

I am currently nearing the end of another run through on Chrono Trigger, however. That game is pretty much timeless in my eyes. Still incredibly enjoyable playing through it now after however many playthroughs.

Occasionally, I'll come across some reason or opportunity to replay an old nemesis I never completed. Like beating Gargoyle's Quest, or finding the blue coins in Mario Sunshine.

Other times, I'll just feel the itch to play an old favourite, like Skies of Arcadia or Wind Waker.

This is why I almost never sell my games, nowadays. Can't stand the thought that, one day, I may want to relive memories, but the games aren't there.

Very often, though when it comes to repeat playthroughs of long single player games like the Zeldas or most RPGs, I always wait at least a year before playing them again.

Pick up and play games like Super Mario Kart, Mario Party and Panel de Pon or short N' sweet games like the SMB games, the MD Sonics and the DKC SNES trilogy get played all the time though :D

Edited by Dcubed

Pretty often, I have a small selection of games I regularly replay. Like the original Sonic games (Sonic 1, 2, 3&k), the original Super Mario is great for pick up and play, the Zelda games (Want to replay TP, waiting for WWHD). Christmas Eve I ran through Dragon Quest I, good times. GBA games I often return to are Metroid Fusion and Zero Mission.

The Sonic games are probably my most replayed games of all time though.

Usually is just depends if I'm in the mood for playing a retro game. The Virtual Console and XBLA releases usually help with this as well. Think I like older games better than new ones sometimes.

Some of the older games can be completed pretty quick which is a nice bonus for me.

It depends on the game really for me, some games i love replaying others i keep because i know i will replay them and love them again

i often replay; Blood Omen and once i have i try to replay the series (man they were good) I also try to periodically replay the Legend of Zelda series - some more than others (portable ones mainly but Alttp is epic), Breath of Fire 3 and 4 are great to replay (currently replaying 4) Metroid Fusion is frequently replayed, Same with Super Mario World and Yoshi's Island.

I find it good to break up modern games with retro ones, as often some of them have amazing gameplay that a lot of modern games don't have

Some games are great for just picking up and having a quick blast. ExciteTruck is pretty good for this. At the moment, I'm playing Tiberium Sun on Skirmish mode just for fun, not even bothering with the campaign. Brawl and Melee are ones that have good replay value.

For longer games, if it's a Zelda for example, it's rarer for me to go back and play it again. Mainly because of time purposes. I haven't got much time to play 60-hour games, so I usually go for games which can be played in quick bursts.

I tend to revisit the same old games once in a while, usually old SNES titles and probably about 4 times a year. How old are we talking when we talk old, though? I don't play many of my 'old' games for my current systems; but as said I'll whip through some SNES stuff from time to time(usually a replay of SMW, LttP, SMB3, Yoshi's Island, SMB2...can't think what else, if anything).

I tend to work through a series of older games once a year, couple of years ago i played every main Zelda game, year after that every Sonic game up to the dreamcast era and this year i have the Legacy of Kain games sitting to be played. Around 10 years ago i played through Final Fantasys 1 through 9, cant stomach anything after that.