NEurope
Rummy

Why don't you have a Wii U?

What's the difference between buying it now and buying it in a year or two when there are the games you're looking for? Ok there may be a 50-75 quid price drop by that time, but that's at the expense of a year or two of enjoying the occasional games that are currently out.

I just think if you're planning on buying it at some point, why not just do it now.

He has PS+. He has plenty of free games to keep him busy until the price drops and the games arrive. No rush.

Exactly what HoT said...aside from my own disc based back log I have the constant flow of Plus games to keep me occupied.

EDIT; Just looking my Plus backlog; Deus Ex HR, Just Cause 2, Sleeping Dogs are just 3 of the games I have to play. No offense to Wii U but they are all stellar titles that no Wii U exclusives can compete against.

Why would I drop $500 on getting me set up with a Wii U and a few games when I can bide my time....Like I have a million and one other things I could spend that money in the year I'd take to wait. I mean $500 is a trip away, money towards home improvements, half a flight back to England. Rather than spend it on a console I'd use once in a while.

I only just picked up a 3DS and love the fact than when I'm done with a game there is an instant catalogue of titles for me to go and pick up right away. I feel like I'd be done with the Wii U in a matter of weeks.

Also the few third party titles will be dirt cheap by then if the Wii is anything to go by. If I'm totally honest the way I feel about Nintendo's output (home console love where the 3DS is at the moment) I wouldn't mind waiting 5 years till it's done and pick up a dirt cheap second hand one.

Edited by flameboy

I've never seen one in the flesh and don't know anyone who has one and haven't heard of anyone who got one for Christmas.

I really don't know much about the console other than the controller. I can't say I'm tempted by it whatsoever. I was drawn in with the Wii and after about a month I didn't touch it again. It's not my idea of how I want to play games.

Apart from things already mentioned, one more thing that's keeping me off is Nintendo's betrayal of Wiimote as the main controller. Last gen, Wii was the only system with unique and mostly non-gimmicky controller. Both MS and Sony tried to follow but didn't get far.

And now Nintendo wants to reinvent the wheel instead of improving the old wheel. I'm not too fond of a dualshock controller with a screen...

Erm...Really?....

I think a better thread would be... "What are you doing here?" :heh:

I think this thread could potentially highlight Nintendo's woes. A Nintendo dedicated site/forum and a members haven't and might not invest in their new system. Of course N-E is just a small sample and I don't visit any other places to see if it's the same across the board.

I think the thread title for me would be more suited as 'Why did you buy a Wii U?' Haha :p

Don't get me wrong, I really like the system and think it is a huge step forward from the Wii.

However as many of you who have me addded as a friend on the system will know, I haven't been on it in about a month. Not even turned on to check Miiverse or anything.

The problem is the games - broken record, sorry - but it really does boil down to that.

That's why mine hasn't been turned on for a while. I know they will come eventually, but it doesn't look that great for me anyway in the short term as I have no interest in Monster Hunter, have never 'got' Pikmin and the only game I was truly excited for has been famously delayed (Rayman).

So yeah, interesting times!

I don't have a Wii U.

I have TWO Wii Us. AWWW YEAH

Seriously though, I can see why people don't: Price is a key factor. While some say "it's not worth that money", it clearly is since they're taking a loss...but in this economic climate, it makes sense. Second are the games...it just doesn't have compelling software yet

I think a better thread would be... "What are you doing here?" :heh:

Because, despite losing faith in Nintendo, the community here is amazing.

Erm...Really?....

Well, later in the generation lots of games appeared that used the Wiimote properly. And instead of improving the wiimote idea, Nintendo got back on regular controller layout with a screen.

And compared to Move and Kinect games, Wiimote actually worked.

I'll answer the question about the controller first, because it doesn't affect whether I've got a Wii U or not. Yes, I've played on the Wii U - well, not really "played" it, but used the GamePad to navigate menus. The controller was bigger than I expected, and I don't have small hands (I liked the original Xbox controller). At the moment I'm sceptical that there's a point to the GamePad, but I don't really dislike it.

As for whether I have a Wii U yet, no, and that's because:

1) The price. The more I think about it, the more expensive it seems. I can understand Nintendo doesn't want to make another loss, but the reality is it's not going to sell many more at that price (maybe it will when Mario Kart is out, but I doubt it). If Nintendo is waiting for the cost of manufacture to come down, then fair enough, but we have to accept it won't fly off the shelves until then.

2) The games. There is nothing I want to play at all yet - possible exception New Super Mario Bros U, but I don't really play those games on consoles. I can usually get the handheld iterations for about £25, but I looked into getting NSMB U and it was going to cost me about £40. This is one of the reasons I skipped NSMB Wii and other 2D platformers on the Wii. Sorry, but the type of game Nintendo has made so far doesn't make me want to spend my money.

3) A combination of the above. What I mean is that if I could get a Premium Pack with a game I wanted, I might do so, but as yet I haven't seen anything I really want other than Wind Waker HD. That or 3D Mario would make a good bundle.

To end on a positive note, I am fairly confident about the future. The "big" Nintendo Direct in January reassured me Nintendo still has top talent working for it. Remaking (fan favourite) Wind Waker might seem an obvious move, but it's how they are doing it that matters. Every bit of colouring and lighting - the clouds, the windmill, the coral reefs - looked just right. In fact, it's the best judgment I've seen applied to Zelda for years!

When the Wii U was released I didn't have an HDTV. Now I've got one, so I'm all set. I'm going to buy a PlayStation 3 first and work through Ni no Kuni and a few others, but I'm definitely going to get a Wii U. Maybe it will just take a year or so for the console to be a bit more enticing.

I don't own one at the moment and have far too many games to still play on the Wii. I can't really justify paying hundreds of pounds just to play ZombiU, Need for Speed and Rayman, which are the only three games I want at the moment.

It's definitely going to be my console of choice in the future, as I very much enjoyed the Wii. But, why jump in and spend a ton of money on something that will hardly get played when you've already got a console that has a lot of time still left in it? I reckon I could probably survive until the end of this year just finishing off/playing games I've not yet got for the Wii.

It's a bit over-priced, too. I can't justify that cost. I spent 180 on a Wii, or there abouts. Paying 100 quid more is a lot to ask.

The main factor for me is I'm living abroad and need all the money I can get, so spending it on a new console would have been a very bad idea. If I was back in the UK though, I would have mostly bought into the launch hype and bought one because I'm a sucker like that, thank god I wasn't.

I have only ever bought a home console at launch once, and that was the Wii. And I got burnt a little for it. As many launches go, once you've finished your first set of games, that's it, you're waiting for a year or two for the titles you want to come out and I just got tired of waiting. So after 6 months of owning it, I sold it and the games I had with it and the price CEX paid was as if I rented it at £6 a month or so, wasn't a bad offer back in those days!

With the Wii U, I'd most likely be in the same boat again. There's just too few games I'm interested in, and although I can't say for certain until after E3, I'm not sure if they'll be coming just yet. The titles Nintendo put out these days don't get me very excited and I've always ended up buying more into third party software on their consoles, so unless the whole "Buying Nintendo hardware for Nintendo games" mentality for the Wii U changes, I wont be picking it up for a while.

I'd also be looking at what experiences I could get for the same price, and the Wii U wouldn't provide much justification right now. I could get a PS3 and a fuck load of games I missed out on for the same price and be sorted for ages. Until there's the killer app I'm interested in, and I think this applies to a lot of people in my shoes, I'd not pick one up over a previous console I didn't invest in.

Hmm I played the Rayman Legends demo in a store a few months ago, and I was planning to buy a WiiU together with Rayman legends. It felt like a slice of heaven, really a brilliant game. BUT YEAH.

These are the two main reasons I don't own a WiiU yet:

1) There is nothing that appeals me (software)

Really though! I went through this all with the 3DS already. I payed an expensive handheld that has had no decent "new" games for months after release (and Ocarina of time 3D and Starfox 3D don't count as new games to me... ). I got my ambassador games however, and I'm quite happy with that. But I wouldn't want to go through that all again. This however doesn't mean I'm waiting for a WiiU price drop, I don't think there will be one in the following years. I'm just holding on until some software that I really want comes out! I want Pikmin 3, I want Rayman Legends, I want the Wonderful 101! And until some of that goodness is finally released, I won't buy a WiiU just to see it gather dust.

2) I like handheld gaming more

But you know, bring me the software and I will surely buy a WiiU PRESTO.

Nothing at all!? :eek:

This must appeal to you...

NOOOO you got me ahahaha!

Ok you are right, I secretly do really want to have nintendoland and play this Animal Crossing minigame way too much.

But still it's not quite enough to make me buy a €350 console (yet) :p