NEurope
Rummy

Why don't you have a Wii U?

Well! Fairly easy/straightforward topic aimed at all those without Wii Us;

Why not? Are you waiting, just not interested? Will you have one soon?

Also for those who haven't got one - have you seen one in action/had a hands on? If so, what did you think from what you experienced?

Well I do own one now, MH demo was enough to tip me over : D And no, never tried the system beforehand...

I know this thread isn't exactly aimed at me as I do have one but if it hadn't been given to me as a surprise gift at Christmas, I don't believe I would have bought one yet for several reasons..

I have plenty of games I'm trying to play through on other systems, mainly Wii and 3DS, and didn't really feel like I needed any more on top of that at the minute, really. Then, when I look at the current Wii U library, I see that there aren't really many games for me anyway. New Super Mario Bros U and Nintendo Land are good, but I wouldn't say I needed either right now. Having said that, if I didn't experience them now then I maybe wouldn't get as much out of them as I am doing. This was somewhat true at the launch of 3DS with Pilotwings Resort :smile: I loved that game and because I had nothing else to play on the platform for a few months, I got every last drop out of it :hehe:

There's also the question of money and I don't feel like I could have justified laying down more than £300 when I have other more 'important' things to save for :indeed: The price tag seemed particularly off-putting due to having got my hands on the Wii U Gamepad in HMV with a demo of Rayman Legends and not being convinced in the slightest by any aspect :hmm:

In addition, I'm not entirely convinced of the future of Wii U, though I am sure that there will be enough games to make it worthwhile over the course of the system's life.

Money, mostly. Also, this is a bad time for me to buy videogames (seeing as I'll spend a semester away from home)

I did try the Wii U, though. Nintendo Land and Rayman Legends (the demo). Both very fun (I noticed the value of Nintendo Land afterwards, when I saw a group of 5 kids playing it). The U pad is also lighter than I expected, and feels great in my hands.

Two reasons:

1. The price is too high for what it's worth, considering the current price of the PS3 and 360. I am also pretty certain that there will be a price drop at some point this year because it's not exactly selling like hot cakes at the moment and the PS4 and 720 aren't far off.

2. A console is only as good as its games. Where are they Nintendo? I do believe that they will come eventually, at which point I will most likely buy one, but I won't buy one on potential alone.

I have one but think I can answer as I only followed through with my purchase as Amazon decided to honour my pre-order deluxe @ £199.00. £299.00 and I would of cancelled simply cos the library and release schedule @ launch was pitiful as well as the US launch had people mentioning the slow OS, barren Eshop and missing features (VC) so I was turned off the console from that. People do ask me what the console is like and I can only tell them that I think it’s ok but there is a serious lack of games so not worth getting one right now. I bought Zombie U and Mario U on launch and have not purchased any games since then. This is the first time I have had a new home console and gone 3 months without getting a game.

1. Price. Not worth the price they're asking, not to mention I don't have that money available at the moment.

2. Games. No games I'm interested in (yet).

3. Don't have the time. I play less and less games these days. I'd like to say because I'm a responsible adult, but it's probably more because I'm a boring bastard.

In fairness I don't even own a 3DS yet. I think that kind of tells you where I'm at for gaming.

The games. Pikmin and LEGO are nice and all, but they won't sell the console to me. Wind Waker is by far the biggest game for me but, as with Pikmin and LEGO, still isn't enough to sell me the console.

I'm going to wait and see how Metroid and Zelda turn out on the system. It sounds like Zelda will be trying something new, and we don't know what the next Metroid will be like (if there is one).

After the 3DS, I've lost some faith that Nintendo will be making games that I will like (I'm sure they'll still make good games - but they seem further and further to what I want from them), so I'm having a "wait and see" approach.

I hope I do end up having to buy one.

My reasons have already been outlined extremely well in this thread.

I don't have one because...*looks under tv*...oh, what do you know? I do have one, I must have forgotten about it.

My reasons as to why i havn't got a WiiU at present

• The price. Yes, it is a little costly at the moment. I waited for the Wii to drop in price before purchase, so i can wait until the WiiU drops in price.

• No games I'm interested in (only New Super Mario Bros U, and that doesn't warrent a console pricetag atm), or i currently own them on different systems (aka Batman, Mass Effect 3 etc)

• Got enough to do at the moment. Be it out with friends, or in work. And also i have quite a few games already on the 360/PC/3DS to complete. I can't warrent adding to the list at present.

I'm not saying i'm not going to get one, but i will one day. Finances are perfectly fine to go out and get one right now, but i choose not to.

This thread sounds very accusative. And i don't mean the case.

Yeah, I think the title should be "Why don't you have a Wii U you dirty, Nintendo-hating cheap bastards?!!!!"

Pretty much everything has already been said but 3rd party games are cheaper on Ps3/360 rather than Wii U. Combine with free games on PS+ (which is going from strength to strength) the only reason I'd get a Wii U is for Nintendo 1st party games.

Simply it comes down to the games....I only ended up buying a Wii because I couldn't face the prospect of not playing the next Zelda and Mario games. At that point Twilight Princess was already shifted to Wii and made out like it was the definitive version so I had to jump. We knew a 3D Mario was on the way pretty soon, there was a Warioware game announced (always been huge fan of that series) so there was enough to warrant it.

However with Wii U I don't get that feeling. I don't care about 2D Mario games at this point if I'm honest. I don't care about the New. series I've always felt like there was something off slightly about them (played Wii and DS version) and with no actual 3D Mario title properly out there I don't care. Plus I have the awesome Mario 3D Land to tide me over.

To me Wind Waker HD is clearly a place holder to delay having to create an actual new Zelda which shows off the Wii U capabilities in it's full splendour. Look how long it took for Skyward Sword to take the Wii Sports/Sports Resort tech demo and meaningfully apply them whole hog to a 30+ hours adventure.

There are no way near enough other games to justify the release. I feel like at this point in the Wii's life there was already more available/announced.

I've played Rayman Legends in Future Shop with the missus and sure we had fun and some uses of the second screen were awesome. However did we truly have more fun than we do playing other coop games? I'd argue not.

Plus there is the looming figure of PS4 and Xbox 720. Some of the stuff PS4 promises is incredible and remains to be seen if it delivers. In all honesty I don't think I will making a leap to another console till 2014 once we have a better idea how the land lays.

Haha, I did wonder/worry about that. It was actually originally going to be 'Why don't you have a Wii U yet...you dirty cheap nintendo hating bastards

I don't have one either for the record. I've been meaning to get one but since I got a parking ticket in November that I have yet to get quashed, I have held out in case I end up £110 out of pocket for that. However I did manage to get my hands on one yesterday, and whilst the games are lacking at the moment, I was somewhat impressed.

I liked the Miiverse, and can see myself easily losing time in it looking at some of people's drawings and whatnot. I was also quite impressed with the speed of transfer from screen to pad(though I witnessed it most in the Netflix app) - I could see that aspect being pretty cool along with the TV controls of the gamepad. Of course, that isn't a £300 feature, but I certainly think it's a little tasty.

I tried out a bit of NSMBU on screen/multi and displayed on the pad itself(which let me down a little, there's noticeable blur of sorts at times and I don't know why). I like the aspect of shfiting between the two more than I thought - witnessed it on Zen Pinball too which was kinda cool. I think my only minor dislike sometimes was that the pad graphics seem softer than the TV graphics, and sometimes I like my stuff a bit more crisp and solid. None the less, it seems cool and definitely makes me want one a bit more.

Edited by Rummy

Simply it comes down to the games....I only ended up buying a Wii because I couldn't face the prospect of not playing the next Zelda and Mario games. At that point Twilight Princess was already shifted to Wii and made out like it was the definitive version so I had to jump. We knew a 3D Mario was on the way pretty soon, there was a Warioware game announced (always been huge fan of that series) so there was enough to warrant it.

However with Wii U I don't get that feeling. I don't care about 2D Mario games at this point if I'm honest. I don't care about the New. series I've always felt like there was something off slightly about them (played Wii and DS version) and with no actual 3D Mario title properly out there I don't care. Plus I have the awesome Mario 3D Land to tide me over.

To me Wind Waker HD is clearly a place holder to delay having to create an actual new Zelda which shows off the Wii U capabilities in it's full splendour. Look how long it took for Skyward Sword to take the Wii Sports/Sports Resort tech demo and meaningfully apply them whole hog to a 30+ hours adventure.

There are no way near enough other games to justify the release. I feel like at this point in the Wii's life there was already more available/announced.

I've played Rayman Legends in Future Shop with the missus and sure we had fun and some uses of the second screen were awesome. However did we truly have more fun than we do playing other coop games? I'd argue not.

Plus there is the looming figure of PS4 and Xbox 720. Some of the stuff PS4 promises is incredible and remains to be seen if it delivers. In all honesty I don't think I will making a leap to another console till 2014 once we have a better idea how the land lays.

What's the difference between buying it now and buying it in a year or two when there are the games you're looking for? Ok there may be a 50-75 quid price drop by that time, but that's at the expense of a year or two of enjoying the occasional games that are currently out.

I just think if you're planning on buying it at some point, why not just do it now.

What's the difference between buying it now and buying it in a year or two when there are the games you're looking for? Ok there may be a 50-75 quid price drop by that time, but that's at the expense of a year or two of enjoying the occasional games that are currently out.

I just think if you're planning on buying it at some point, why not just do it now.

He has PS+. He has plenty of free games to keep him busy until the price drops and the games arrive. No rush.

I want one badly, but I'm hoping for a sweet Pikmin Bundle or Lego City Stories bundle.

The former should give the Pikmin series the recognition it deserves.

As I have a stupendously huge backlog of DS, 3DS and Wii games, there's no rush involved.

However, since I have always had a backlog when I started getting serious with gaming, I've come to 'get with the times' from time to time. For example, I bought myself a 3DS on launch.

So I won't be waiting another year before I get my WiiU, yet money is also a problem :laughing:

I'm sorry, Rummy, okay? :cry:

I'd get a Wii U if I had the money, if I had someone to play co-op in New Super Mario Bros. U with and if the console actually had some must-have games.

I'm sure pretty much everyone on this forum will have one when Smash Bros. comes out and then we'll all be able to settle our discussions with a massive DeDeDe hammer to the nose :D

-in HD

I'm sure pretty much everyone on this forum will have one when Smash Bros. comes out and then we'll all be able to settle our discussions with a massive DeDeDe hammer to the nose :D

-in HD

Good lord, we must have another N-E tournament when that game comes out...last time was awesome.

I'm holding out for a better SKU, that has all the important current and future firmware updates pre-installed.

I'm happy to let early adoptors be the guinea pigs and ill probably do the same for the PS4

Apart from things already mentioned, one more thing that's keeping me off is Nintendo's betrayal of Wiimote as the main controller. Last gen, Wii was the only system with unique and mostly non-gimmicky controller. Both MS and Sony tried to follow but didn't get far.

And now Nintendo wants to reinvent the wheel instead of improving the old wheel. I'm not too fond of a dualshock controller with a screen...

Very much my own attitude. I think I'll get one eventually, so might as well do so now. If I wait a year to save £60...well, fiver a month is it that big a deal really? I'd be annoyed if I buy one and it drops in price next year though.

I'm sorry, Rummy, okay? :cry:

I'd get a Wii U if I had the money, if I had someone to play co-op in New Super Mario Bros. U with and if the console actually had some must-have games.

NO MAGNUS WHY DO YOU NOT HAVE ONE YET COME ON GET IT TOGETHER DAMN