NEurope
liger05

Mighty Switch Force 2

Anyone else downloaded this today?

I've done the first seven stages, at which point it becomes quite challenging. I've stood still a few times trying to work out the puzzles, which activates Patricia's "idle" animation! (Did she have one in the original? I don't remember that.)

Like Super Mario Sunshine, the hose can be used at different pressures. Of course, there are no analogue buttons, so it's determined by how fast you tap (or hold it down). For example, you'd just tap the button lightly if there's a fire right in front of you.

When I play a WayForward game I'm in another world, and this is no different. Fantastic visual style, character design and another stunning soundtrack by Jake Kaufman! Well worth £5.

Is the music as good as the original? That was one of my favourite things about the first one.

Not sure if the music is as good, to be honest, although I'd say it's the same tier of quality. Some of the tunes are remixes. The thing that's bugging me at the moment is the difficulty. The combination of hose + fire means you need to be much quicker on your feet and think faster too.

Mighty Switch Force 2 Review

Completed this last night. The first thing I want to say is that Mighty Switch Force 2 is a fantastic game. At first, I had difficulty getting to grips with the hose, but once you've mastered it, it's clear this sequel is even better than the original.

Like the first game, it is a mix of platforming and puzzles, largely centred around phasing blocks in and out. Not surprisingly, Standard blocks are back, as are the reflex-testing Cannon blocks. These are just as much fun as before, but thankfully the levels that focus on them are tighter and less baffling.

Also back are the dreaded Lock blocks. If they weren't complicated enough for you first time around, there are now three colours to manage, as well as Water Channel blocks to spray your hose into. Although this might initially seem like an overcomplication, it is satisfying when you work out which ones need to be activated together, and which kept separate.

Entirely new to Mighty Switch Force 2 are the Furnace blocks, which re-ignite after a short period of time. These force you to think and act quickly, but once you've mastered them, the level design in general is an improvement upon the first game. I don't know if it's just my imagination, but the jumping also felt easier. There are still some difficult jumps, but most of them seemed more forgiving.

If I had to sum up Mighty Switch Force 2 in a phrase, it'd be "Hard to master, great once you're used to it". It all culminates in a more enjoyable Stage 16 than the first game, with a moment that is more "Metroid" than any real Metroid has managed since Metroid Fusion. There are moments, like Patricia Wagon's victory dance, that show an enormous joie de vivre.

Simply completing all 16 stages unlocks something, as does rescuing every Secret Baby (Stage 9's is very sneaky). One is useful, the other is cosmetic, but they both make the game much more enjoyable to play (and encourage you to go for the Par times).

Quite simply, Mighty Switch Force 1 & 2 are the two best games specially designed for the 3DS's eShop. I can't help but think WayForward is the best developer in the world, as they never make mistakes with graphics, sound, controls or overall tone. I love the fact that they don't make their games look 8-bit. Instead, they look and play as though 2D games kept the same spirit, but just kept getting better and better.

Speaking of music, after some thorough listening, I consider Jake Kaufman's new soundtrack to be even better than the original's, especially a particularly good Dubstep number and an excellent song on the end credits.

Matt Bozon has hinted that he might make a Patricia Wagon game that is all-action (presumably without puzzles). All I can say is "Yes please!" Whether it would be like Metroid, Contra or Mega Man, who knows, but I am eager for more Patricia Wagon!

9/10

Edited by Grazza

Great review Grazza! : peace:

I intend to pick this up (and the first one) some point soon!

I love the first game, literally only just finished it though, so it might be a bit soon to jump right into this.

Saying that, I'm gonna download the soundtrack. That guy is a genius.

BUMP

So, after getting the Par times for Mighty Switch Force, I thought I'd try to do it with the 2nd game. Most went smoothly, although I genuinely didn't know if I'd be able to manage 13 and 14. I beavered away at it until...

You must have JavaScript enabled on your device to view Miiverse posts that have been embedded in a website. View post in Miiverse

You must have JavaScript enabled on your device to view Miiverse posts that have been embedded in a website. View post in Miiverse

A well-deserved thumbs-up from Patricia

Let's get the negative out of the way first. In my humble opinion, they have added one layer of complication too many to the puzzles. Whereas the original game had Red and Blue Lock blocks, this adds Green Lock blocks to the mix. Arguably this is just too many colours to keep track of, and whether they're phased in or out.

That said, it's a brilliant game - its aesthetics and music both convey the feeling of a hot summer. As soon as you hear the theme song (incredible vocals by Jeff Luke), complete with fire horn, you know you're in for an exuberant ride.

The pixel work is outstanding. You can really tell the main character has all her power in her legs. Randomly pausing the game reveals a staggering level of animation, as Patricia puts all the weight onto a particular leg to stop abruptly or change direction. I particularly like the way her calf muscles shake under the force of the hose! Will WayForward ever make another pixel art game, I wonder? It'd be a shame not to see what they could do with higher resolutions.

Overall, I've had an intense and exciting few weeks playing WayForward games. I'd love to see Patricia Wagon again - and if she leaves those Lock blocks behind, even better. ;)

I'm going to pick this up in the sale, don't know whether to get the 3ds version or Wii u. With Wii u being just an upscale I'm tempted to go 3ds

I'm going to pick this up in the sale, don't know whether to get the 3ds version or Wii u. With Wii u being just an upscale I'm tempted to go 3ds

Yeah, go portable for this.

The WiiU version adds nothing except a bit of blockiness.

Of course, like Grazza mentioned on a different thread, the WiiU version is still great, so if you don't have a 3DS, get that one.

I would get it on 3DS, @Glen\-i's advice was good in the eShop thread - this and Shantae on 3DS, MSF on Wii U (in fact, any chance the "Wii U + 3DS" logo could be added to this thread, please @Ike or @Retro_Link? It'd be much appreciated).

It's a bit of a shame they didn't make a hand-drawn version of this, actually, as I'm pretty sure that's what a lot of people were waiting for, and maybe why they didn't buy it on 3DS.

This is a great game I still can't stop fiddling around with. I think the hose is more fun than the blaster - it's amazing how it simulates analogue buttons!

So, to finish things off, I played the Wii U version of Mighty Switch Force 2.

I know most people would recommend the 3DS original instead, but this Wii version was actually better than I expected. Anything that was hand drawn in the original (menus, title screens, result screens) is now presented in genuine HD.

The biggest surprise, however, was that the pixel sprites actually don't look at all bad on an HDTV. Wondering if I was just imagining it, I loaded up Shantae and the Pirate's Curse, but that still looked the same. Maybe MSF 2 was designed really carefully to look good on TVs as well as handheld? Either way, it's a great game and I blasted through it easier this time.

With not many unreleased WayForward games known of, I can't wait to see what they have lined up next.