NEurope
Fierce_LiNk

Tipping in Europe

That kind of mandatory service charge is just so they can make the prices on the menu look 10% lower. If the charge wasn't there, the prices would be higher.

It's just an awful marketing thing.

That kind of mandatory service charge is just so they can make the prices on the menu look 10% lower. If the charge wasn't there, the prices would be higher.

It's just an awful marketing thing.

This was what I thought initially, but I remember it being a little more expensive than your average west-end Chinese restaurant.

I don't eat out very often, and probably tip even less. I don't mind doing it if you've been fantastic, but really as a few others have said, I don't 'get' it. We're all already paid to do jobs, no? Why in this service sector do we see/feel/have the need to tip? Forced/added service charge is the worst as well, I *really* don't get that, I hate the idea of a forced tip - surely totally goes against the idea? I've never asked it to be taken off, but I don't get it. My actual tipping habits will be throwing in a few quid, but mostly only when I feel they've done a really good job with the service.