NEurope
Fierce_LiNk

Tipping in Europe

I remember we had a thread a while back about American Customs and the tipping culture was mentioned. Since then, I've noticed that this has been on my mind a bit more.

When you go out to a restaurant, what do you normally end up tipping? There are some places that add in a service charge and I'm not sure exactly how I feel about that.

I ate out in Glasgow for the first time in a month or so on Monday night. None of us had any change whatsoever so I put 10% extra using my card. Unless we had exceptional service I'd never give more than that.

Quite often give less as that's what happens to be in my wallet or the service was poor. I don't feel obligated to give a tip because we have the minimum wage in this country and unlike America, waiters don't live off their tips. I feel that to give a tip they need to earn it by giving properly good service.

When I was a waiter I never expected a tip but made damn sure I'd do my best job so people would want to give me one.

Usually leave a few quid on the table, £3 or £4. That depends on the service and how quick things occured.

I went to a place outside Newport called the Old Barn, last time we went they added a service charge of 5% to the bill. Service was terrible, we sat down and didn't get our starters for nearly 40 minutes after ordering. And when they came, they were 1/2 cold as they seemed to be left on the side for quite a while. Main, i ordered a steak medium-rare. It came out well done, and i mean well done. It looked like a lump of coal. Customer service was terrible, they prioritized a party who sat at the same time as 3 others (including myself and co) and they were on puddings before our main arrived an hour later.

Of course, the bill came out. We refused to pay, and got a free meal after complaining to the manager.

I never tip. It's just something I don't usually do, it's never on my mind when it comes to payment. I suspect it's never on the waiters' minds, either.

Though I have previously left my money and walked out, when the change was something like 1 or 2 Euros. I wonder if the waiters take that as a tip, or if they simply put everything in the register anyway.

There's always that awkward moment where the bastards have already added a service charge and you have to tell them you aren't paying it.

If I enjoyed the service I might leave a quid or two.

I never tip. It's just something I don't usually do, it's never on my mind when it comes to payment. I suspect it's never on the waiters' minds, either.

Though I have previously left my money and walked out, when the change was something like 1 or 2 Euros. I wonder if the waiters take that as a tip, or if they simply put everything in the register anyway.

That's the part I don't understand. If the meal cost £30 and you leave 5 quid extra, does the waiter/waitress keep it or does it go to the restaurant? What about when they bring the card machine and it adds if you want to leave a tip, does the waiter actually get it?

There's always that awkward moment where the bastards have already added a service charge and you have to tell them you aren't paying it.

If I enjoyed the service I might leave a quid or two.

That is awkward. I've never been quite brave enough to tell them to un-add it, I always get worried about causing a scene. It's a bit cheeky, though. I'm not sure why exactly you need to give a service charge anyway? Does this mean we need to tip bus drivers, too? Or policemen?

I never tip. It isn't really a custom here anyway, maybe aside from the capitol. When I was in Italy I never really thougth about it. Would have to go over the receipts, but I don't think they added anything and I never left change.

I rarely tip. Unlike some countries, the full wage of the waiter is included in the meal, and tips can not be used to make up this wage. If I'm especially impressed with the service then I will tip.

There's one place in Manchester I get a meal from most weekends. I've never actually tipped there, yet I get on with the staff (even getting free drinks on occasion). I've spent plenty of money there anyway.

With regards to taxi drivers, if the price is close to a full note (how close depends on the drive) then I'll often just tell them to keep the rest as a tip.

As for who gets the tip - it really depends. I know of a few bars that have a shared tip system. The service of pouring drinks/handing out bottles isn't exactly taxing, and the majority of the tips is really drunk guys tipping girls. So a shared system actually makes a lot of sense for that. Others allow the staff to keep their own tips (I think this is mainly restaurants that serve groups) as it's about how friendly that particular member of staff is. Some restaurants keep the tips to themselves. It's something you have to ask.

Usually just round it up to the nearest £5/10. If it's very close to that already, then I'll chuck a couple of quid in.

Why do waiters deserve tips? I don't think carrying food is particularly taxing. As a first aider who helped several children and never got tipped by the parents, I think my work was more tip-worthy than a waiter.

Why do waiters deserve tips? I don't think carrying food is particularly taxing. As a first aider who helped several children and never got tipped by the parents, I think my work was more tip-worthy than a waiter.

That's what I don't understand. We don't tip shopfloor staff or policemen or bus drivers, so why do we tip waiters/waitresses? In a way, isn't it a bit patronising to do so? "Here you go, good job, have some pennies." They're not inferior...

Who'll be first to post the Reservoir Dogs scene...?

Good scene. :p

But it's not really relevant to Europe though, is it? Isn't the point of the tipping system in American to make up for restaurants not paying their staff a good minimum wage? So, the tips are integral to the staff actually getting by. (which is wrong, in my opinion)

Generally i dont tip unless there has been a great service. Chuck a couple of quid in.

I give 10% generally unless the service is bad. I would never give more than that though, even if the service was really good.

Probably because I just think people should be good at their job.

That is awkward. I've never been quite brave enough to tell them to un-add it, I always get worried about causing a scene. It's a bit cheeky, though. I'm not sure why exactly you need to give a service charge anyway? Does this mean we need to tip bus drivers, too? Or policemen?

A load of us from work (about 25) went to this all you can eat place called Red Hot in Milton Keynes. You basically grab the plates yourself and get your food, the waiters in this case only cleared the table of empty plates (which they barely did). They added a £250 service charge to the bill, a tenner for each person. It was the only time I didn't feel awkward or bad removing it, just not on.

A load of us from work (about 25) went to this all you can eat place called Red Hot in Milton Keynes. You basically grab the plates yourself and get your food, the waiters in this case only cleared the table of empty plates (which they barely did). They added a £250 service charge to the bill, a tenner for each person. It was the only time I didn't feel awkward or bad removing it, just not on.

I never understand that. They're getting more money and using less space in the restaurant as they can seat people together. So why do they add a service charge for larger bookings? Sure one table would need more service but if 25 of you went in and sat in smaller groups, surely that would mean more work for the same amount of staff?

I tip in restaurants, whatever seems appropriate. Usually a few quid on top of the bill, or round it up to the nearest five.

Them adding it themselves is kind of sly though, especially when it's obviously way too much.

Ate out at a restaurant where the tipping was included, and that does admittedly annoy me, despite the fact that I always tip 10% anyway. If service is actually rubbish or non-existent then yeah I'll not tip at all. That's my passive-aggressive way to let them know I wasn't entirely satisfied.

When I worked at argos I'd infrequently get a quid from a customer if I helped them with stuff to their car. Both the customer and I know that it's pretty much just a token gesture, and technically we weren't allowed to accept the tip but I figure if they're offering it then it'd be ruder to turn it down.

Accidentally went into a Chinese restaurant with friends near the London Excel a couple of years back without us realising there was a 10% mandatory service charge. We'd already sat down, they advertised it at the door, so we were just like "Ah fuck it, we were probably going to end up tipping any way, but serves us right for not reading".

But then, it took the course of an hour and a half for them to serve us (which they were apologising for) and forget some dishes. We all finish up, get the bill, 10% mandatory service charge included. Now, this is more annoyance with our tipping culture here than the restaurant, but my friends were all just putting the money in not raising any questions. Me and another friend who was sat next to me just raised our problem with the service to every one else to basically get "Ah c'mon, don't be assholes, it's not worth the hassle".

No no no, how have we gotten to the point where in a country that doesn't actually need a tipping system thanks to fair wages contrary to those in the US, where we're not willing to make a peep about being expected to fork out 10% extra and for shitty service at that?

Me and my friend just got up, went straight to the counter whilst one of our friends was basically calling us to come back and stop looking for trouble, and told the guys working there that they can't realistically expect us to pay for service we didn't get. They unwillingly dropped it to 5% and we could tell that they were probably going to back out and expect the full 10% if we pushed them further, and returned to the table.

Basically, I can admit that we should have been more cautious about picking a restaurant, but if you're going to charge for service and provide something that even the shittiest take away could do better, then expect complaints.