NEurope
Cube

Drive Club

You are genuinely the most unintelligent person I've ever had the displeasure of having a conversation with. At this point, I'm convinced that you can't actually hold another person's argument in your head long enough to come up with a coherent response.

You're both shit. :D

There's something about this game that seems appealing and it does look beautiful. I can't help but feel that, somehow, it'll not live up to expectations. What's it looking like so far, a hit?

The attempt to channel the dark red was a noble one but unfortunately it hasn't worked, Choze. Sorry to say it but, now more than ever, you sound like a decommissioned Sony FanBot that has somehow freed himself from core control and began to spit out unmediated radicalised guff. I don't think Sony would even have you any more.

Sorry to say it but, now more than ever, you sound like a decommissioned Sony FanBot that has somehow freed himself from core control and began to spit out unmediated radicalised guff. I don't think Sony would even have you any more.

....Clank?

19,000 flamingos. That is all.

19,000 independent flamingos.

19,000 proud, independent, pink flamingos.

What a time we live in.

18…and look out for the seagulls in Scotland

This one has had too much Irn Bru.

DriveClub could be the racing game to beat this year

Most worrying of the bunch, though, was DriveClub, Evolution Studio's racing game that was at the time preparing to go up against the might of Turn 10's Forza Motorsport 5. Playing a game that was then only a matter of months away from release, your only hope was that somehow, amidst the fever of a crowded mid-summer event, the build had melted: how else to explain its murky visuals, its ill-defined handling and its lack of character?

Sitting down to play the latest iteration of DriveClub at this year's E3, it's hard to hide from game director Paul Rustchynsky the shock and surprise upon discovering that not only is this an improvement on that somewhat scrappy earlier build, but that it is also very, very good; a driving game with the handsome strut you'd expect of a platform exclusive, and with enough going on under the bonnet to distinguish itself from the unlikely glut of racers due out towards the end of the year.

jpg

It's all being complemented now by a full weather system being prepared for release soon after launch, and being shown off for the first time at E3. On the Scottish glens of Loch Duich, turbulent weather rolls in, skies thickening before bursting onto the roads. Crowds at the side of the track reach for their macs and umbrellas, winds tug at the trackside scenery while puddles form in the divots and dips of the road surface, as well as across the grass of the glens and across the gravel - Evolution's very, very proud of its gravel, and rightly so.

Really cannot wait for this. I might even get a wheel.

I'm looking forward to being able to listen to all the noises that these types of games provide. The game does look fantastic.

Potentially the best looking game...ever? And I say that because those effects aren't just aesthetic; the weather system, the lighting system - they're all simulated and all impact each other and the driving experience.

qmzfuo.gif

kazunori-yamauchi.jpg

Edited by Daft

I'm still expecting a catch somewhere. It's all looking a bit too good to be true, so far.

From those videos, it does look wonderful. How diverse are the effects? Just rain? Or will there be storms, snow, etc?

I'm still expecting a catch somewhere. It's all looking a bit too good to be true, so far.

From those videos, it does look wonderful. How diverse are the effects? Just rain? Or will there be storms, snow, etc?

How have you approached weather in DRIVECLUB?

Alex Perkins: We’ve approached our weather system with the same guiding principles as we’ve done with everything in DRIVECLUB, to make it as immersive and fun as possible. We’ve developed a powerful engine that has the capability to model the entire environment in stunning detail; from each cloud that makes up our living skies, to every crest and fall in the tarmac beneath your wheels.

From there, we’re breathing additional life into the environments by developing the earth’s atmosphere around it. Originally we focussed on authentic lighting and skies as the tool for you to customise stunning backdrops for fun challenges with your friends. Now, we’re developing a dynamic weather system that plays into all of this, adding another powerful tool to your arsenal.

The cloud cover and conditions you choose will dictate how much snow and rain will fall. The wind direction and speed determines where snow will settle. Then when it stops, the temperature and height of the sun governs how quickly clouds evaporate and roads dry out. We’re really striving for consistency in every detail just like we have done with everything else in the game.

What’s the scale of the weather types in the game? Is it just rain or snow, or can we expect drizzle, sleet, downpours, blizzards and so forth?

Alex Perkins: You can expect every one of those and you can expect it to change dynamically and unpredictably while you race – because we’ve designed it to be just like real weather systems. Spots of rain can become torrential downpours or transition into blizzards, quickly or slowly, and when the clouds clear up the tracks will dry out too.

So if you’re in Norway, for example, you’ll face heavier snow when you’re racing atop the mountains and much lighter snow or sleet when you descend to a lower altitude. Lots of things play into this, like elevation, wind speed and temperature. We can even adjust all the way to zero visibility conditions too – the only limit will be the need to balance things for fun and usability.

And what about really extreme stuff, like thunder and lightning?

Alex Perkins: Deafening thunder storms with flashes of fork lightning are what we’re aiming for. Our intention is to make this as immersive and exciting as we can.

All of the above. :hehe:

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2014/07/08/first-look-driveclubs-dynamic-weather-action-2/

Evolution have been pretty open with development. You can see the game slowly improve every month from when it was first show almost a year and a half ago. So I don't think there's any bullshots or embellished video captures happening.

Seems like the delay was definitely worthwhile, looks and sounds amazing!

Comparison gifs of the same stretch of track with different weather/light conditions. The detail is amazing, you can see the level of the river is much higher when it's raining.

qmzfuo.gif2534085-4811722413-ilX7I.gif

They're probably not from the same build of the game so keep that in mind.

Edit: This one's for @Fierce_LiNk

untitled-kljjklkl1pysg8.gif

Edited by Daft

Instantly upgrading to the full game on it's release. Probably my most anticipated game this year.

Visuals on this are astounding. :o

Been playing GRID 2 on PC recently and was impressed by the graphics on that game, but this is... it genuinely looks real. :blank:

Gotta be the end of the line as far as visuals go for racing games. I mean seriously, how can it be improved? :hmm: