NEurope
Retro_Link

Battlefield 4

I've only played one recent CoD game, and didn't complete it as it was a bit too boring, so i agree with you there. However, it's clear that you care WAY more about what type of guns/tanks are portrayed in the game than i do, and which nationality you play as, so i think we can just agree that we have different interests in that respect.

Clearly (and i'm sure you realise this) the reason the Swedish company base the game around American troops is because the game is most likely to sell in America, and they have to target the game towards their most likely audience. I don't see this changing any time soon.

I also agree with you about auto-aiming etc, putting this in just caters to the lowest common denominator, so as to include the crappiest of gamer. This too, is to sell games. Make a game to hard/require too much skill to complete, and people will be put off buying it. It's a shame, but it's the truth i suspect.

With the helicopter crash thingy, i suppose it's supposed to single the game out from other ones, similar to set pieces in blockbuster films. Running through a war-zone shooting at people is all very well, but there's nothing to distinguish it from a similar game which will stand out to people half an hour after they've finished the game. The bits i remember most about games tend to be these huge set-pieces, which may be unrealistic, but set themselves apart from others in the same genre.

Because there are so many FPS's nowadays, it becomes very hard to tell them apart (a point you are making anyway) but i don't think that adding French guns (i'm generalising what you said) is enough to do that for most people....

Looks exactly like BF3's single player. Which wasnt good at all. Nice one EA...

So where is the multiplayer for this online multiplayer based franchise? :wtf:

This reveal was badly over hyped by EA, journalists , industry types(Gamestop tweets anyone?) and rumour mills. People were expecting half/cross next gen visuals. I am pretty disappointed. Looks the same as BF3 with afew tweaks. Many of the models, animations etc. were copy and pasted from BF3. What happened to all the hype?

Sounds like Darkjak wants this game to be America's Army without the Americans.

I want this on WiiU but would buy it on PS3 happily since most of the people i play with have always bought the ps3 version.....however its BF3 still and we can play on that once all the COD mentality gamers run off to BF4 at which point multiplayer on BF3 will improve significantly, just like BF2 improved when most idiots left for whatever was the latest game at the time

but i have to echo the disdain for the same settings again...

Sounds like Darkjak wants this game to be America's Army without the Americans.

I never did play Americas Army. I'd personally say that I'm more interrested in Goldeneye or Hitman 2 with realistic weapon handling.

Looks exactly like BF3's single player. Which wasnt good at all. Nice one EA...

So where is the multiplayer for this online multiplayer based franchise? :wtf:

This reveal was badly over hyped by EA, journalists , industry types(Gamestop tweets anyone?) and rumour mills. People were expecting half/cross next gen visuals. I am pretty disappointed. Looks the same as BF3 with afew tweaks. Many of the models, animations etc. were copy and pasted from BF3. What happened to all the hype?

From what I have read, there the best graphics seen yet....and its the new frostbite engine, numero 3.........annnnnnd the animation is from the same animation that Fifa use.......soooo I don't know what you've been reading.

From what I have read, there the best graphics seen yet....and its the new frostbite engine, numero 3.........annnnnnd the animation is from the same animation that Fifa use.......soooo I don't know what you've been reading.

Graphics are better but its grounded by the 360 and PS3. You can see this clearly. It might be frostbite 3 or frostbite 24 but its a typical sequel improvement much like crysis 2 to 3 which has the same issues by originating on 360.

Many of the models are repeats from BF3. The simple gun models are the same as are the stab animations etc. I am not sure where Fifa has gun reload animations and knife stabbing unless FIFA is introducing some interesting crowd interactions :p

The biggest improvement I am seeing are much better physics. There are nicer cloth physics on buildings, loads of birds, better interaction with scenery, better explosions, more debris that can contact the floor though most still falls through, some sparks can remain for a short while etc. No doubt as AMD are helping on the pc version. None of this stuff looks super intensive like Nvidia's PhysX either. The problem with PhysX is usually that it goes too far and essentially requires a second card for most people. I have a feeling this will have a nice balance that all us pc users can enjoy.

edit: The game was demoed on a HD7990 (2x 7970) which is like a GTX 690 (2x 680). Thats a crap load of gpu power. Also expensive at over £700 starting prices.

http://www.fudzilla.com/home/item/30896-battlefield-4-gets-an-impressive-17-minutes-gameplay-trailer

Edited by Choze

The biggest thing they need fix is the multiplayer damage model. When I double-tap a guy in the chest with an AK-47 at 30m (or arguably more annoyingly with a 9mm at arms reach), I expect the fucker to go down and stay down. Oh, and COD4 had penetrable surfaces, why doesn't Battlefield 3? Yes, making it super-realistic where a Kalashnikov round will splinter through a breeze block is too much to ask, but who knew corrugated steel sheets can stop .50 Cal rounds? If I spot someone hid in a garden shed it only makes sense to spray it with automatic fire, not have to run through the door like a madman.

Oh, and COD4 had penetrable surfaces, why doesn't Battlefield 3?

Bf 3 does. You can even break down walls etc. I thought CQC addon pack was good at this.

Bf 3 does. You can even break down walls etc. I thought CQC addon pack was good at this.

It should have had it from the start, frankly. I never had CQC, but don't get me started on the whole DLC bullshit.

It should have had it from the start, frankly. I never had CQC, but don't get me started on the whole DLC bullshit.

I respectfully disagree. You have unbreakable objects(well everything in COD is) which somehow can be shot through in COD e.g massive concrete blocks and steel doorways. So i disagree. In BF its much more believable that a wall breaks down or planks, barriers, objects can breakdown with damage etc. Either way I kind of see where you are coming from but the shooting in BF is much nicer than what we have in COD.

CQC mainly had a more micro level of destruction which i think was great as it was a different type of destruction compared to the rest of the game. I think the DLC was done well in BF3. But it is annoying that after the DLC support a sequel is out soon which will wipe away its usefulness and community building. In COD's case its every year...

I know its cool to hate on EA (even i do it) but BF3 is handled better than the vast majority of console based fps. I agree standards should be higher. On consoles there is a lot of fragmentation and sequels come too fast. Once we get BF4 much of what we brought before wont be compatible.

That showing from the EA conference just convinced me to buy this, multiplayer looks amazing.

The multiplayer in the EA show looked so great! Sure it was mostly scripted and no games will ever have that level of co-ordination outside of competitions but still... i looked so much fun.

Nope, still not interested. I'll stick with Red Orchestra if I want military combat. They're still throwing new maps for free at that thing. Take your DLC seasons and shove it.

I never really given Battlefield 3 a proper chance because I love my cods, only played a little bit of it online and didn't really get into it.

I am liking what I have seen of this so far though! :)

I never really given Battlefield 3 a proper chance because I love my cods, only played a little bit of it online and didn't really get into it.

I am liking what I have seen of this so far though! :)

It's free on Plus this month if you wanna try it.

It's free on Plus this month if you wanna try it.

I would have to actually have plus to use that... ;)

:)

I would have to actually have plus to use that... ;)

:)

Hmmmm well come PS4 you will need it so why not jump on the bandwagon now! :p

Edited by flameboy

Just seen a video shown at the EA press conference at Gamescom.

:o

Holy fucking shit. Looks ace!

Edited by drahkon