NEurope
Retro_Link

Battlefield 4

Battlefield 4 shown off behind closed doors

EA has been showing off Battlefield 4 behind closed doors and it sounds like it might be a little big incredible.

"Got to see Battlefield 4 today and all I can say is wow. Thanks EA for the sneak peek. Can't wait for you all to see it," GameStop CEO J Paul Raines commented via Twitter account.

Battlefield 4 was obviously on the way so perhaps EA are comfortable with Raines tweeting it out, in fact the EA account even retweeted it.

No platforms have yet been confirmed for the game, although we wouldn't bet against the next Xbox and PlayStation being part of the plan.

Think we may well get a reveal during the PlayStation Event tonight, especially with that Battlefield looking image being teased in the countdown earlier.

#Shiny

Needs to be 64 players.

BF3 is a little messed up because of the console player count. Half the game is for consoles half for pc.

Cant wait. They did a great job with BF3.

Nope. No more. No more 'Amuerica, no more Russians, no more "DLC seasons" splitting the community by adding £20 to the original price, no more elite players unlocking every weapon within the first hours of the game, no more custom servers that forces games to last for more than an hour, over and over again on the same map, no more multiplayer series' that release every 2 years leaving you with the "1337" school children unless you spend on the new one. Signing out and off of all big name military multi players games forever, from now on it's occasional bouts of TF2 or nada.

Edited by gaggle64

Nope. No more. No more 'Amuerica, no more Russians, no more "DLC seasons" splitting the community by adding £20 to the original price, no more elite players unlocking every weapon within the first hours of the game, no more custom servers that forces games to last for more than an hour, over and over again on the same map, no more multiplayer series' that release every 2 years leaving you with the "1337" school children unless you spend on the new one. Signing out and off of all big name military multi players games forever, from now on it's occasional bouts of TF2 or nada.

I agree with your points. Its annoying doing this over and over again. BF3 is awesome but has its big downsides. I am kind of tired of this boxed console game strategy that EA and Activision abuse.

Regarding all your points I suggest trying Planetside 2 on PC. :grin:

I would be playing Planetside 2 right now if I had the Skynet microchip needed to run it.

I agree on some things.

I'm through and through sick and tired of playing as an american in each and every FPS nowadays.

However, the thing that through and through pissed me off about BF3 was that Dice listened to all the CoD-wankers, who first whined about too much recoil in full auto (well, hur durr, if you try AIMING, you might not need to go full auto), then nerfing everything beyond recognition!

I mean, I played BF3 from the Beta and onwards. Right after release, the game was PERFECT. I took the recon class, picked one of the sniper rifles, removed the scope, and voila, I had a gun that I could use in the same way I was trained to use it in the army. Then I unlocked the G3 and realised i could fire it in semi-auto. Then a bunch of wankers whined about it, DICE nerfed it, and now I either play on pistols only-servers, or I equip a machine gun with vertical grip and a laser sight.

I hope the DICE return to the original balancing with BF4, and introduce non-american forces. As a Swede, I DEMAND this SWEDISH game dev to include the splinter camo uniform and AK5 assault rifle that the swedish armed forces use. Plus a Carl Gustav antitank weapon (it's used by the US armed forces for pete's sake!), CV90 and Leopard 2 tank would be nice.

I agree on some things.

I'm through and through sick and tired of playing as an american in each and every FPS nowadays.

However, the thing that through and through pissed me off about BF3 was that Dice listened to all the CoD-wankers, who first whined about too much recoil in full auto (well, hur durr, if you try AIMING, you might not need to go full auto), then nerfing everything beyond recognition!

I mean, I played BF3 from the Beta and onwards. Right after release, the game was PERFECT. I took the recon class, picked one of the sniper rifles, removed the scope, and voila, I had a gun that I could use in the same way I was trained to use it in the army. Then I unlocked the G3 and realised i could fire it in semi-auto. Then a bunch of wankers whined about it, DICE nerfed it, and now I either play on pistols only-servers, or I equip a machine gun with vertical grip and a laser sight.

I hope the DICE return to the original balancing with BF4, and introduce non-american forces. As a Swede, I DEMAND this SWEDISH game dev to include the splinter camo uniform and AK5 assault rifle that the swedish armed forces use. Plus a Carl Gustav antitank weapon (it's used by the US armed forces for pete's sake!), CV90 and Leopard 2 tank would be nice.

Not everything from previous games tend to return. I welcome weather effects and sea warfare. BF3 was really good. I think dlc was odd at times but overall its been great. Big step up compared to your average fps. Adding better lighting would go along way and hopefully night time settings? The only thing annoying me is PS3 and 360 holding the game back. The destruction is awesome though and its the first major fps to really include it in a big way. Lets see what they do. No single player please.

Planetside 2 has dynamic day, night and weather which is very very cool. Nighttime is a different experience and changes the way you have to play. Weather is light though. Mainly light sandstorms and snow blizzards which mess up mid to long range visibility to an extent. PS2 has the advantage of being a ground up pc game.

I'm hoping the actual game has that bodacious yellow filter applied throughout. Sunny.

Those screenshots can't be from Battlefield 4. They're not orange.

It was all looking good, until it got outside and then it basically just looked like Battlefield 3. One thing that annoyed the fuck out of me was how it was teasing with the lighting from the sun, from around half way into the video you can see that there's a cloud slightly entering in on the suns light, and the effect of it was shown when the player looked towards the sky. I took that as a hint of the clouds being dynamic, but no, later on into the video it hadn't budged an inch and the lighting was the same.

Was expecting a bigger bump in graphical quality, but I guess that goes out the window in the race to win the COD audience.

Battlefield 4 will not see a release on Wii U, DICE has confirmed.

Speaking to VideoGamer.com last night, creative director Lars Gustavsson explained that the decision to skip Wii U was to "ensure that [the team] deliver something good", rather than "risking" the project by stretching the team too thin.

"I think overall for me as creative director, number one is to deliver a really great game and experience," said Gustavsson on the subject of Battlefield 4 on Wii U. "Sometimes, at least for us, it's focus on what you do well and what you know well, and ensure that you deliver something good than trying a bit too much, stretching yourself too thin and risking it.

"I'd rather play it safe, deliver something really good and then look at the future and what could possibly be done than trying a bit too hard and [failing]."

Battlefield 4 is the latest high-profile multi-platform title to skip Wii U, joining Dead Island: Riptide and Saints Row 4.

http://www.videogamer.com/pc/battlefield_4/news/battlefield_4_skipping_wii_u.html

I'd rather play it safe, deliver something really good and then look at the future and what could possibly be done than trying a bit too hard and [failing].

I suspect this quote describes the entirety of the game.

Well, DICE have brought my piss to a boil.

*Seriously, americans? AGAIN?

*Linear corridor shooting?

*STILL the game is designed to suit morons who need to fire in full auto to hit anything?

*Stupid s**t like having both iron sights AND scopes on your gun? Ever heard of something called rifling? So that if you lean your rifle YOUR BULLET IS GOING TO TURN VIOLENTLY IN WHATEVER DIRECTION YOU'RE LEANING IT!

*A seventeen minute trailer that does nothing but spoil the single player campaign?

*After TWELVE YEARS of being in Iraq and Afghanistan, resulting in babies being born with organs outside their bodies, numerous coallition casualties and an enormous financial cost that has decimated european military capability of self-defence, and a great blow to america's reputation, don't you think that everyone's SICK AND TIRED of wars taking place in the forking middle east?

*Soldiers running around without helmets, hats, berets or ANYTHING on their heads? Not only is it idiotic to not protect your VITAL BIT from shrapnel, it's bad from a camo standpoint! Heck, when I was in the army we had the universal rule of outdoors=covered head, indoors=uncovered head? We were taught that it's even RUDE to do otherwise, and some soldiers were told off for wearing hats indoors while on leave!

*The US army sending in a helicopter in to an area where it has a feasible threat (ever heard of "spy satellite", "recon plane" or even "50 dollar snitch"?) and then having the helicopter stay in position after finding out about said threat! What moron planned this assinine operation, because I after 11 months of military training could've done a better job!

*Not to mention the completely retarded moments, like surviving an attack helicopter shooting at you when you're in an elevator (ever heard of "fish in a barrel"?), then surviving a helicopter crashing in to you, then surviving to fall through a collapsing building while goons are firing on you, then surviving to fall off a building and have a slab of concrete fall on your helmetless head? And of course, soldiers legs are made of gummibears, so you can cut through it with a small knife with one hand in half a second!

*Did I mention hanging out of the door of your car, shooting down an attack helicopter with a high explosive round (of course without getting killed from the shrapnel yourself) without for even a second losing control of your vehicle.

*Did I mention that the US is on the verge of financial bancrupcy and are unlikely to start another war?

No, DICE! Scrap EVERYTHING, start the fork over! GÖR OM, GÖR RÄTT!

One can only wonder what factions the Americans will be facing off across the campaign & in multiplayer - Russians? Arabs? Russian Arabs? The possibilities are endless.

Well, DICE have brought my piss to a boil.

*Seriously, americans? AGAIN?

*Linear corridor shooting?

*STILL the game is designed to suit morons who need to fire in full auto to hit anything?

*Stupid s**t like having both iron sights AND scopes on your gun? Ever heard of something called rifling? So that if you lean your rifle YOUR BULLET IS GOING TO TURN VIOLENTLY IN WHATEVER DIRECTION YOU'RE LEANING IT!

*A seventeen minute trailer that does nothing but spoil the single player campaign?

*After TWELVE YEARS of being in Iraq and Afghanistan, resulting in babies being born with organs outside their bodies, numerous coallition casualties and an enormous financial cost that has decimated european military capability of self-defence, and a great blow to america's reputation, don't you think that everyone's SICK AND TIRED of wars taking place in the forking middle east?

*Soldiers running around without helmets, hats, berets or ANYTHING on their heads? Not only is it idiotic to not protect your VITAL BIT from shrapnel, it's bad from a camo standpoint! Heck, when I was in the army we had the universal rule of outdoors=covered head, indoors=uncovered head? We were taught that it's even RUDE to do otherwise, and some soldiers were told off for wearing hats indoors while on leave!

*The US army sending in a helicopter in to an area where it has a feasible threat (ever heard of "spy satellite", "recon plane" or even "50 dollar snitch"?) and then having the helicopter stay in position after finding out about said threat! What moron planned this assinine operation, because I after 11 months of military training could've done a better job!

*Not to mention the completely retarded moments, like surviving an attack helicopter shooting at you when you're in an elevator (ever heard of "fish in a barrel"?), then surviving a helicopter crashing in to you, then surviving to fall through a collapsing building while goons are firing on you, then surviving to fall off a building and have a slab of concrete fall on your helmetless head? And of course, soldiers legs are made of gummibears, so you can cut through it with a small knife with one hand in half a second!

*Did I mention hanging out of the door of your car, shooting down an attack helicopter with a high explosive round (of course without getting killed from the shrapnel yourself) without for even a second losing control of your vehicle.

*Did I mention that the US is on the verge of financial bancrupcy and are unlikely to start another war?

No, DICE! Scrap EVERYTHING, start the fork over! GÖR OM, GÖR RÄTT!

I agree with a lot of those points - Overused setting, spoilered trailer, etc - but i think you're nitpicking about some issues. (Hats, roffle)

Losing some of the realities of warfare in order to make a game more exciting to play is perfectly acceptable in my opinion. I understand that you would be frustrated over some of the things (especially if you were in the army yourself) but don't you think an incredibly realistic game in which the US couldn't afford to wage war and the whole game took place in a barracks in Washington DC would be rather boring...:laughing:

But yeah, overall, this looks exactly like BF3. They've barely changed anything! Some more inspired settings might be a good idea.

I agree with a lot of those points - Overused setting, spoilered trailer, etc - but i think you're nitpicking about some issues. (Hats, roffle)

Losing some of the realities of warfare in order to make a game more exciting to play is perfectly acceptable in my opinion. I understand that you would be frustrated over some of the things (especially if you were in the army yourself) but don't you think an incredibly realistic game in which the US couldn't afford to wage war and the whole game took place in a barracks in Washington DC would be rather boring...:laughing:

But yeah, overall, this looks exactly like BF3. They've barely changed anything! Some more inspired settings might be a good idea.

I disagree.

You can make a game WAY more realistic and as a matter of fact make the game more enjoyable. I'm not talking about simulations. I mean, in Goldeneye, helicopters didn't come crashing in to you and you didn't survive falling off a tall building. But it's still a hundredfold better than the CoD singleplayer. And when I go on to say that I find Goldeneye more realistic, you know things are bad!

Why is it too much to ask to balance the game so that firing semi automatically is a plausible thing to do? Who decided that full auto is "exciting"? Why can't an attack helicopter be portrayed realistically: that you need a shaped charge to take it out. I mean, if it's too much to ask players to actually have to aim, then give the player a heat seeking stinger. It'll be like Timesplitters, and that's hardly a war simulation, is it?

How about this SWEDISH game developer making a game that isn't about american soldiers at all. I mean, look, the french are fighting in Mali without yankee help, you could make a game about them. Espescially considering that the french have unique guns, tanks, planes etc. Same goes for the swedes, wouldn't it be cool to fight russians in a CV90, then have six soldiers with AK5, KSP58 and Pskott pop out? Or the britts, they fought in the Falklands without yankee help. Heck, even Poland make their own tanks and combat vehicles nowadays.

CoD isn't exciting! It's found the perfect honeyspot where it's neither as exciting or fun as Perfect Dark or Timesplitters or as realistic as... I was going to say Rainbow Six, but heck, it's not even as realistic as Perfect Dark or Timesplitters. It's just dull, gray, unoriginal and retarded.