NEurope
Wii

‘One Or More Of The Big Three Will Drop Out Of The Console Market'

Gmail is my single user account and cross-game chat isn't going to be just on Xbox LIVE soon, the Vita already has it. I can chat with Rez, the one other Vita owner in the world, whenever.

...I have more reason than most to hate Xbox LIVE, so I'm always going to be vitriolic when it comes to the matter.

I know what you're trying to say but you can't use GMail to login to the PSN or Nintendo Network. It requires a separate password.

I also wasn't aware that I could cross game voice chat on my Vita. But then I don't know anybody else who actually has a Vita.

Gmail is my single user account and cross-game chat isn't going to be just on Xbox LIVE soon, the Vita already has it. I can chat with Rez, the one other Vita owner in the world, whenever.

It can so that? Does it not interrupt the current game's online, like going to the standard messages does?

You can check your messages while playing...can't you?

It works like Custome Soundtracks.

While the industry might be in a state of relative 'turmoil' it all comes back to developing as consoles are nothing without quality software, I just thought it kind of laughable that someone who is part of a development team responsible for some genuinely mediocre games - plus possibly one or two minor hits - is concerned that one - or more - out of the 'big three' console developers will drop out of the console market.

If he believes this to be the case then why doesn't 'Sidhe' develop some quality software for these 'ailing' platforms?

Oh wait... they don't make decent games. :indeed:

------------------------------------

In all seriousness though - I'm genuinely not concerned right now - it will take a lot more than that for Nintendo to stop making consoles, as for Sony and Microsoft... who knows?

Anyway, roll on March as it's then that the Wii U will really start to sell! :D

I get the point, but I still feel it's not entirely fair. I, for example, might be able to appreciate and comment on what makes good art(it's the february draw a day, btw ;)), but I can't actually produce it myself.

On subject of Wii U picking up in march, I'd agree. Am interested to see how well the Monster Hunter Wii U bundle will do too, probs what I'll be picking up if I get one.

(I'm totally not saying I know anything about art btw, all hypotheticals)

I'd just like to say that although Microsoft have been doing a lot of things wrong with the Xbox recently there are still a couple of points the other two companies could do with following.

1. Multiple User Sign-In - So that playing local co-op would be able to store stats/achievements against each player.
  2. Single User Account - One account to rule them all. Signing in with my Microsoft account for Email, Skype, Xbox Live, Windows, etc. And being able to use that account on multiple Xboxes.
  3. Cross game voice chat.

I remember trying to figure out how to do party chat on the PS3, was quite saddened when I finally realised that it actually just seemed not doable. Seems so silly to me.

I get the point, but I still feel it's not entirely fair. I, for example, might be able to appreciate and comment on what makes good art(it's the february draw a day, btw ;)), but I can't actually produce it myself.

On subject of Wii U picking up in march, I'd agree. Am interested to see how well the Monster Hunter Wii U bundle will do too, probs what I'll be picking up if I get one.

(I'm totally not saying I know anything about art btw, all hypotheticals)

You're right, it isn't fair but then it's all subjective, of course everyone is entitled to their opinions just like you and me, ultimately I'm not too fussed as I think that nothing will really come from this 'developers' comment.

I do think that it will most certainly be an interesting year though, so after March is upon us, roll on E3 2013 I say as I'm sure we're all in for a few surprises, hopefully good ones. :)

The difference is that you aren't paid to create art of your own, whereas Sidhe man is. It's his job to create games, therefore whatever the content turns out like is a direct result of his and his team's own doing. If he makes shit games, that's his own fault.

Are Nintendo going to drop out? No, because they know what it takes to be successful, especially in this climate. They've adapted throughout the years and even when they were struggling (GameCube, N64), they still found a way to make money and survive and come out strong. They'll continue to do this unless they really lose the appeal of their fans or if the 3rd party games (shovelware and quality) dries up.

Nintendo are going nowhere.

Damn right, they're one of the major players along with Seg- oh shit.

Damn right, they're one of the major players along with Seg- oh shit.

I know you're just trying to be funny, so this next part isn't really aimed at you, but:

I really wish people would stop comparing Nintendo's "situation" to that of SEGA's demise. Talk about hyperbole. Nothing similar at all. SEGA fucked up monumentally in various ways, such as flopping hard with the Game Gear, MEGA CD, 32X and not really capturing enough market share with the Saturn or Dreamcast, losing a lot of ground to newcomers Sony. Some of SEGA's tactics were extreme, including the history of the Saturn's launch. Announcing it would be on sale immediately when they were taking to the floor at E3...too much of a surprise tactic, no great long-term planning.

You compare this with Nintendo's situation where they raked in the money with both the DS and Wii and regained a ton of market share. Sure, the last 3 months or so for the WiiU haven't been great and the 3DS started off slowly, but both will turn a considerable profit in the end for Nintendo.

I know you're just trying to be funny, so this next part isn't really aimed at you, but:

I really wish people would stop comparing Nintendo's "situation" to that of SEGA's demise. Talk about hyperbole. Nothing similar at all. SEGA fucked up monumentally in various ways, such as flopping hard with the Game Gear, MEGA CD, 32X and not really capturing enough market share with the Saturn or Dreamcast, losing a lot of ground to newcomers Sony. Some of SEGA's tactics were extreme, including the history of the Saturn's launch. Announcing it would be on sale immediately when they were taking to the floor at E3...too much of a surprise tactic, no great long-term planning.

You compare this with Nintendo's situation where they raked in the money with both the DS and Wii and regained a ton of market share. Sure, the last 3 months or so for the WiiU haven't been great and the 3DS started off slowly, but both will turn a considerable profit in the end for Nintendo.

It's so silly seeing people compare Sega to Nintendo. The wii u could be a complete failure and it's not going to bankrupt the company. They have plenty cash in reserve. By the time Sega launched the dreamcast they were already in debt by hundreds of millions.

The situations are not the same at all!!!

It's not the last 3 months not having been great (they have been good overall, not amazing but good). It's just January which has been bad, and the UK, but the UK is down the drain anyway

Despite being a big Sega fan back in the day, even I can see why they dropped out. The Mega CD is the worst platform I've ever bought. It cost a fortune and literally only had a few good games (in Europe, that is - it might actually have been good in Japan, with RPGs like Lunar: the Silver Star). The 32X had hardly any games (although probably more good ones than the Mega CD, actually!), but everyone knew the Saturn was on its way. The Saturn itself was decent, but again, very expensive initially.

I won't lie, I did not like the Wii, but just the fact that you could play great games on it (and quite a lot of them) makes me think Nintendo will never flop like Sega.

I won't lie, I did not like the Wii, but just the fact that you could play great games on it (and quite a lot of them) makes me think Nintendo will never flop like Sega.
Yeah but then the Dreamcast was win!

Yeah, the Dreamcast was a strange one for me! Brilliant graphics, a lot of good games... I don't know why, but I just couldn't get into it!

Yeah, the Dreamcast was a strange one for me! Brilliant graphics, a lot of good games... I don't know why, but I just couldn't get into it!

I had a Dreamcast, too...couldn't get into it, either. It never clicked for me. By the time I had a Dreamcast, I had already purchased a Cube and was enjoying that. It's a decent system but it gets hyped up a lot by SEGA fans. I prefered the Mega Drive in all honesty. Even the movie-tie-ins at that time were good.

All jokes aside. It may not be a valid comparison at the minute, but the point is that Sega were once the biggest, and were making lots of money. So it's shouldn't be said that "Nintendo have done great, they can't leave us", because so many seemingly unstoppable giants have fallen in business.

Although one thing we could take from the Sea comparison, is that if Nintendo were to fail, and if the Wii U is the start of that, then it will still be 2 or 3 bad generations before they will disappear. So for one of the big 3 to disappear this/next generation, is highly unlikely to be due to failure, and would only be a strategic business decision. And since Nintendo are solely in the games industry, it's not going to be them.

All jokes aside. It may not be a valid comparison at the minute, but the point is that Sega were once the biggest, and were making lots of money. So it's shouldn't be said that "Nintendo have done great, they can't leave us", because so many seemingly unstoppable giants have fallen in business.

Although one thing we could take from the Sea comparison, is that if Nintendo were to fail, and if the Wii U is the start of that, then it will still be 2 or 3 bad generations before they will disappear. So for one of the big 3 to disappear this/next generation, is highly unlikely to be due to failure, and would only be a strategic business decision. And since Nintendo are solely in the games industry, it's not going to be them.

You're second paragraph is what I was thinking. Yes, if the WiiU/3DS got into trouble, they wouldn't bow out next generation. It would force them to re-evaluate things, of course, but they would still put something out in the future and try to make a profit from it.

SEGA were once a giant in the hardware sector but they didn't make one or two small errors, they made a succession of catastrophic errors. So far, you could say that Nintendo have done a few things wrong, but it won't cost them massively in the long-run. Yes, the 3DS and WiiUs launches were a bit shit, but in the long-run the games will come, 3rd parties will still support the system and they'll turn a profit.

Microsoft won't go anywhere because they've developed a good brand with the Xbox. Sony have been doing this stuff for years and are making good strides. The only criticism I would have would be with Microsoft because their system is a bit too similar to Sony's, and Sony actually do many things a lot better than Microsoft, such as PlaystationPlus, supporting Blu-Ray whilst Microsoft went for HD-DVD, having a growing list of first party games and franchises. Out of the 3, I'd say Microsoft are the weakest position, but even then it's not a terrible position.

Personally I'd say the PS3 was the weakest of the 3 consoles. Also Microsoft have a much stronger fanbase in the USA (which outweighs Sony's in Japan due to size of population). But yeah, I don't see any of them leaving for another few generations.

I'm surprised nobody's tried to capitalise on the PC gamer market more. It's always seen as a struggle with compatibility issues and hardware, but those are often overblown by fearmongerers and those not in the know. It seems to me like a great opportunity for somebody to launch a "PC console". Simply a standardised PC that at least matches (probably best to surpass) the most powerful console, and would most likely be cheaper, and comes ready for gaming, with any necessary software pre-installed. Obviously it's still just a PC, so nothing new in that respect, but it seems like an untapped marketing perspective. Add in some tech support designed for it, and you have a way to bring PC gaming to the casual gamer. You can see from the PC vs. console argument, and the popularity of Macs, that people's biggest fear is compatibility. So fix that with some standardisation of machines, and you remove that barrier.

It would also make it easier to sell hardware upgrades, at the half generation cycle when the consoles are brining out the "slim" versions.

Personally I'd say the PS3 was the weakest of the 3 consoles. Also Microsoft have a much stronger fanbase in the USA (which outweighs Sony's in Japan due to size of population). But yeah, I don't see any of them leaving for another few generations.

I'm surprised nobody's tried to capitalise on the PC gamer market more. It's always seen as a struggle with compatibility issues and hardware, but those are often overblown by fearmongerers and those not in the know. It seems to me like a great opportunity for somebody to launch a "PC console". Simply a standardised PC that at least matches (probably best to surpass) the most powerful console, and would most likely be cheaper, and comes ready for gaming, with any necessary software pre-installed. Obviously it's still just a PC, so nothing new in that respect, but it seems like an untapped marketing perspective. Add in some tech support designed for it, and you have a way to bring PC gaming to the casual gamer. You can see from the PC vs. console argument, and the popularity of Macs, that people's biggest fear is compatibility. So fix that with some standardisation of machines, and you remove that barrier.

It would also make it easier to sell hardware upgrades, at the half generation cycle when the consoles are brining out the "slim" versions.

I'd say that's the sort of area the SteamBox is going to go for, there's things like Ouya and Shield too; though Android based which may presently be a limitation. SteamBox are limited too as they'll be trying to go down the Linux line to avoid Windows licensing and stuff, but I'd be quite interested to see if the ideas manage to take off and where it'll be in a few years.

I had a Dreamcast, too...couldn't get into it, either. It never clicked for me. By the time I had a Dreamcast, I had already purchased a Cube and was enjoying that. It's a decent system but it gets hyped up a lot by SEGA fans.
Not me, it was my first and only SEGA console.

Not me, it was my first and only SEGA console.

1. Get a time machine and travel back to the 90s.

2. Buy a Megadrive.

3. ???

4. Profit.

I bought a Dreamcast in its 'last days' when you could pick up the console for £50 with four games new, it was an absolute bargain, I ended up picking up most of my games for it rather cheaply, in fact my only real outlay was a Dreamcast Keyboard and probably internet charges for playing PSO online, ah those were the days. :)

But yeah, then the GC came along... even better times! :D

I had a Dreamcast, too...couldn't get into it, either. It never clicked for me. By the time I had a Dreamcast, I had already purchased a Cube and was enjoying that. It's a decent system but it gets hyped up a lot by SEGA fans. I prefered the Mega Drive in all honesty. Even the movie-tie-ins at that time were good.

I think the Dreamcast was a great "arcade" machine. Lots of fighting and racing games, that sort of thing. It's just that I had played relatively involved games on the N64 like Mario 64/Ocarina of Time and I wanted more experiences like that. I thought Shenmue might be the game to do it - lovely atmosphere, but I gave up at the forklift driving!

A great console in many ways but I preferred the Mega Drive and Saturn.

I think the Dreamcast was a great "arcade" machine. Lots of fighting and racing games, that sort of thing. It's just that I had played relatively involved games on the N64 like Mario 64/Ocarina of Time and I wanted more experiences like that. I thought Shenmue might be the game to do it - lovely atmosphere, but I gave up at the forklift driving!

A great console in many ways but I preferred the Mega Drive and Saturn.

In the space of 2/3 years the amount of great games released was insane. This is off the top of my head the best games I have. Still today I see at as my best console ever owned.

No doubt I have missed some gems but just this list alone is so impessive. The console was amazing!!

Crazy Taxi series

Headhunter

RE: Code Veronica

Phantasy Star Online

Skies of Arcadia

Grandia 2

Fire Pro wrestling

NFL 2K series

NBA 2k series

NHL 2k series

Virtua Tennis Series

Ikaruga

Border Down

Rez

Soul Calibur

Last Blade 2

SFIII: Third Strike

SFIII: Double Impact

Street Fighter Alpha

King of Fighter Series

Fatal Fury Mark of Wolves

Powerstone series

Dead or Alive

Rival Schools

Capcom v SNK series

Marvel v Capcom series

Guilty Gear X

Space Channel 5

Shenmue Series

Jet Set Radio

Sonic Series

Samba De Amigo

Daytona

Ferrari 335

Metropolis Street Racer

Sega Rally

Tokyo Highway Challenge Series

Even add Unreal Tournament and Quake as well.

Edited by liger05