NEurope
Wii

‘One Or More Of The Big Three Will Drop Out Of The Console Market'

Wynands Says ‘One Or More Of The Big Three Will Drop Out Of The Console Market’

questionblock.jpg

Mario Wynands, a Sidhe dev, believes that one of more of the big three will end up dropping out of the console market by the end of the next-generation. Wynands previously stated that the Wii U is in serious trouble and that next-gen will fail. He followed this up by telling Now Gamer that the market can not sustain three dedicated game consoles. Wynands says that the video game industry is hostile enough to the traditional console and so he thinks that one or more of the big three will drop out completely. Here’s his thoughts on the video game industry.

“In my opinion, the market is now unsustainable for 3 dedicated game consoles, much less the myriad of new players jumping in. Indeed, it might not be sustainable for any dedicated consoles.”

“The environment is hostile enough to the traditional console that I think one or more of the big 3 will drop out completely, but I’m expecting all 3 to make losses without radical change to their business models (hence my calls for revamping of their digital offerings).”

“This new generation is arriving with all the challenges of the last generation unresolved in terms of low margins on hardware, high development budgets, limited shelf space, used commercial game sales, piracy etc.”

“On top of that they arrive facing increased competition for consumer attention via smartphones, tablets, and a resurgence in PC gaming.”

http://www.nowgamer.com/news/1808377/nextgen_industry_not_sustainable_for_xbox_720_ps4.html

Edited by Retro_Link

Wynands Says ‘One Or More Of The Big Three Will Drop Out Of The Console Market’

questionblock.jpg

Mario Wynands, a Sidhe dev, believes that one of more of the big three will end up dropping out of the console market by the end of the next-generation.

Let's see now what AAA titles have 'Sidhe' developed...

Games Developed by Sidhe

Rugby Challenge (console & PC, Q3 2011)

Blood Drive, (PS3, X360, 2010)

Rugby League 3, (Wii, 2010)

Madagascar Kartz, (PS3, X360, Wii, 2009)

Hot Wheels Battle Force 5, (Wii, 2009)

Shatter, (PS3, 2009) (PC, 2010)

Rugby League 2 World Cup Edition, (PS2, 2008)

Speed Racer, (Wii, PS2, 2008)

GripShift, (PS3, X360, 2007)

Jackass: The Game, (PSP, PS2, 2007)

Melbourne Cup Challenge / Frankie Dettori Racing, (PC, Xbox, PS2, 2006)

GripShift, (PSP, 2005)

Rugby League 2, (PC, PS2, 2005) (Xbox, 2006)

NRL Rugby League, (PC, Xbox, PS2, 2003)

Adidas Football Fever, (PC Online Download, 2002)

Frogmania Deluxe (PC Online Download)

Wordjam Deluxe (PC Online Download)

Barbie Beach Vacation, (PC, 2001)

O'Neill Championship Surfer, (PlayStation, 2000)

Oh... that's right, none! :p

I think we can take Wynands comments with a DK-sized barrel of salt, even if his first name is Mario. :indeed:

Shatter is really good. Having read that list though, I'm surprised it came from these guys.

Let's see now what AAA titles have 'Sidhe' developed...

Games Developed by Sidhe

Rugby Challenge (console & PC, Q3 2011)

Blood Drive, (PS3, X360, 2010)

Rugby League 3, (Wii, 2010)

Madagascar Kartz, (PS3, X360, Wii, 2009)

Hot Wheels Battle Force 5, (Wii, 2009)

Shatter, (PS3, 2009) (PC, 2010)

Rugby League 2 World Cup Edition, (PS2, 2008)

Speed Racer, (Wii, PS2, 2008)

GripShift, (PS3, X360, 2007)

Jackass: The Game, (PSP, PS2, 2007)

Melbourne Cup Challenge / Frankie Dettori Racing, (PC, Xbox, PS2, 2006)

GripShift, (PSP, 2005)

Rugby League 2, (PC, PS2, 2005) (Xbox, 2006)

NRL Rugby League, (PC, Xbox, PS2, 2003)

Adidas Football Fever, (PC Online Download, 2002)

Frogmania Deluxe (PC Online Download)

Wordjam Deluxe (PC Online Download)

Barbie Beach Vacation, (PC, 2001)

O'Neill Championship Surfer, (PlayStation, 2000)

I think we can take Wynands comments with a DK-sized barrel of salt, even if his first name is Mario. :indeed:

Have a look at how many Wii U consoles and games are being sold. You think its that much of a stretch to think projects are being cancelled when the console sales are tanking in every region.

Have a look at how many Wii U consoles and games are being sold. You think its that much of a stretch to think projects are being cancelled when the console sales are tanking in every region.

What on earth has that got to do with @S\.C\.G's post?

Basically a no-mark developer who hasn't produced a single game of note has come out blabbering about the state of the industry.

Everyone now knows that the Wii U hasn't sold as well as it should have. However, it's a bit early to write it off completely.

What's more if the Wii U fails miserably and Nintendo go under, or if Nintendo turns it around and the Wii U sales pick up I very much doubt the support of 'Sidhe' would make a blind bit of difference either way!

It's not dead until it's warm and dead.

Give it a year. If things haven't improved by then (and considering we'll have Zelda and Mario by then), then yes, the Wii U is screwed.

What on earth has that got to do with @S\.C\.G's post?

Basically a no-mark developer who hasn't produced a single game of note has come out blabbering about the state of the industry.

Everyone now knows that the Wii U hasn't sold as well as it should have. However, it's a bit early to write it off completely.

What's more if the Wii U fails miserably and Nintendo go under, or if Nintendo turns it around and the Wii U sales pick up I very much doubt the support of 'Sidhe' would make a blind bit of difference either way!

When did the developer write it off completley. He simply mentioned that other developers were talking about cancelled wii u games. I dont think that is hard to believe when you look at the current status of the console.

When did the developer write it off completley. He simply mentioned that other developers were talking about cancelled wii u games. I dont think that is hard to believe when you look at the current status of the console.

But that's the point - no one cares what 'Sidhe' think or who they develop for.

They're not even a footnote in gaming. They produce shovel-ware. They can cancel all their Wii U games, or dedicate all their resources to producing Wii U exclusives - it wouldn't make a blind bit of difference.

It's just another negative article about how badly the Wii U is doing, but this time it's not from a company that gamers care about like DICE, it's from a guy we've never heard about who's CV contains 'gems' like Jackass: The Game and Madagascar Kartz.

But of course, because it's the Wii U this developer's opinion should be given serious discussion.

But that's the point - no one cares what 'Sidhe' think or who they develop for.

They're not even a footnote in gaming. They produce shovel-ware. They can cancel all their Wii U games, or dedicate all their resources to producing Wii U exclusives - it wouldn't make a blind bit of difference.

It's just another negative article about how badly the Wii U is doing, but this time it's not from a company that gamers care about like DICE, it's from a guy we've never heard about who's CV contains 'gems' like Jackass: The Game and Madagascar Kartz.

But of course, because it's the Wii U this developer's opinion should be given serious discussion.

Get past 'Sidhe'. His not specifically talking about them, his just talking about discussions his had at the DICE conference with other developers. Spin it as a negative article all you want but I wouldnt assume its all BS.

Personally I think if One of the Big Three are to drop out of the Console Market by the end of the next generation... It's more likely to be... Microsoft. (dun-dun-duuun)

Only the other day we were discussing this: http://n-europe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36705

Makes the most sense to me that they would go back to focus on PC gaming.

Edited by Retro_Link

Nintendo would have to actually go bankrupt before they dropped out of the console market - it's all they do. It's not like they're going to to say "Yeah the console market isn't so hot right now, let's fall back to our other areas of expertise." Unless you count handheld as separate, in which case they could just become handheld only i suppose...

If anyone is going to drop out, it will be one of the other two, who actually have stuff to fall back on.

But i don't see there's any reason why there can't be three companies in the next-gen market. There were three in the last one, and they all did fine.

Microsoft are more than likely to go since the xbox has lost focus and effectively become a low end mass produced heavily restricted pc,

After them i'd say Sony and nintendo are equally as likely to go! Sony have poor finances and if the ps4 doesn't sell well then they will could just abandon the console market. Likewise if it got really bad for Nintendo they are just as likely to abandon home consoles and stick with handhelds

but when i say sony and Nintendo are likely, i mean ms has a 50/60% chance of bowing out, Sony and Nintendo have a 10% chance at most

thats just my view on the way things "could" go, personally i think this no name developer hasn't exactly got the best position to be talking on this

^ Very much agreed.

I agree that you really can't see it with Nintendo because as has been said, it is literally all they do!... (I suppose they could move into animated film or something)

And with the increase in mobile gaming devices, I'd say they might even be forced to give up on the handheld devision (despite it being more profitable for them) before the home console market.

Personally for a while, I've thought Sony might die due to their finances and in some ways actually hope they do for my grievances against past practises. Microsoft are/were minted just because so could and can do whatever they like, they'll only bow out cos they can't be arsed. Nintendo have some reserves, but I worry they'll burn them up on Wii U and be forced to bow out too - so yeah, I think the actual speculation that one or more might withdraw from consoles is very valid! As I said, personally, I think unless Sony do something drastically cost cutting to the consumer; they'll be the first to go. Any one of them leaving/withdrawing however will drastically change the picture for the others, so I think it should focus on who's first(and how well upcoming models and competition do ie ouya, shield, mobile etc).

Whilst it's fair and easy to say - this isn't about developing. This is about the state of the industry. Just because he hasn't developed any triple A games, doesn't mean his points should be less valid - he isn't commenting on game quality.

(i actually really quite agree with what he's said, I think it might be quite on the mark)

Edited by Rummy
Automerged Doublepost

Personally for a while, I've thought Sony might die due to their finances and in some ways actually hope they do for my grievances against past practises.

Sony deserves to live for PlayStation Plus and because they don't region-lock their consoles.

Although I think it's more unlikely that Nintendo would drop out than either of the other two, you can't forget that Sega were a company that only did videogame products too.

As others have said I think it'll be Microsoft if any of them actually do drop out. I would actually prefer them to drop the console and just develop for PC. With the success of Steam, pc gaming can really be rebooted and hopefully we'll get some decent titles for it without delays. Microsoft could even release the next xbox as a game-centric PC. Mid-high end hardware on purchase but allow for people to upgrade as new graphics cards and the like become available. Stick Windows 7/8 on there and allow for controllers as well as keyboard/mouse set ups and they'd be set.

Microsoft won't abandon their misplaced desire to rule hardware in the livingroom. I hope they get battered next gen because I absolutely hate Xbox LIVE.

Nintendo are too stubborn to realise it would do them and everyone else worlds of good to abandon making lame (in the truest sense) hardware so the can focus on just making great games - handhelds being an exception.

Sony have been building their first-party portfolio for a long time now. They bought Gaikai. They know the future of Playstation is not in hardware. I think they will still be in it next gen with a console that can run the next-next-gen of games but they will open a service that streams to anything with a screen.

This is all under the assumption that there will be a console market because Valve are going to make massive in roads and the distinction between computers and consoles and even TVs will blur more and more.

Microsoft is the company I'm least fond of. I've got absolutely nothing against them, but they have helped transform the games industry into something that doesn't do as much for me as it used to (in other words, they've Westernised it). I respect them for the high quality of their consoles, but wouldn't mind if they dropped out.

Sony is the only company out of the three I've ever disliked, due to the way the PlayStation brand severely damaged Sega and Nintendo. Even now, I don't think I was particularly wrong to see them as "the enemy" in the '90s, which may be childish but it's the truth. But you have to let it go sometime, and when Nintendo annoyed me with the Wii (sorry, but they did), I gave Sony a chance and realised they were more a force for good than bad. I enjoyed the best games on PS2 far more than anything on Wii. PSP, PS3 and Vita show they are pretty much the best at making hardware, and they are far better than Microsoft at securing exclusives that appeal to me. Sony certainly wouldn't be my first choice to drop out.

Nintendo is the company I'd least like to drop out. They are the only company that makes Zelda, which has to count for something. I know to some people it sounds ideal to be playing their games on Sony hardware with a traditional controller, but I don't think the reality would be as simple as that. Nintendo tries to be a high-profit company. At the moment, they devote huge resources to making a 3D Mario and Zelda, but that's because they need them to sell consoles. Would they still bother making them if they were a software-only company? It's not certain. I think they would stick to low-cost, high-profit ventures. And it's not just Mario and Zelda. Whilst Nintendo is still standing, there will always be a home for the big 3rd-party content like Dragon Quest.

So yeah, I most want Nintendo to keep on its feet, but if someone else did drop out, I'd hope Nintendo would step up to match the remaining company, in terms of tech specs, power etc.

If the Wii U "failed", Nintendo can still make another successful console - like they did with the Wii after the GameCube.

Although out of all three, Nintendo are the ones I'd like to stop with consoles. Then they can focus on games and bringing us lots of lovely Metroid, Zelda, F-Zero, Mario, Star Fox and other franchises without worrying about their own system.

Nintendo and Microsoft are too stubborn to completely drop out. I'd fucking love Microsoft to bow out though, the amount of shit Xbox fans put up with is now at cancerous levels and changing the industry for the worse. Ads? A little bit is fine. DLC? Sure, be reasonable. Paying for online? Within reason, some one's gotta host those servers..

But no. People are now willing to fork out above and beyond what they should for shit that should technically be free. Sure, the games industry might have expanded, but my fucking god it's making a crash even more and more likely and stagnating the quality of so many games. Even Nintendo has succumbed to just relying on safe bets, like the third parties on the other hardware platforms with their fucking first person shooters.

Sony, let's not kid ourselves, is in a very shaky position. They have a lot of assets, but if shit hits the fan and they need a butt load of cash again, they're going to have to start giving them up which is bad because they're next console desperately needs them in order to maintain what could possibly the console to get them back on their feet.

Whilst it's fair and easy to say - this isn't about developing. This is about the state of the industry. Just because he hasn't developed any triple A games, doesn't mean his points should be less valid - he isn't commenting on game quality.

(i actually really quite agree with what he's said, I think it might be quite on the mark)

While the industry might be in a state of relative 'turmoil' it all comes back to developing as consoles are nothing without quality software, I just thought it kind of laughable that someone who is part of a development team responsible for some genuinely mediocre games - plus possibly one or two minor hits - is concerned that one - or more - out of the 'big three' console developers will drop out of the console market.

If he believes this to be the case then why doesn't 'Sidhe' develop some quality software for these 'ailing' platforms?

Oh wait... they don't make decent games. :indeed:

------------------------------------

In all seriousness though - I'm genuinely not concerned right now - it will take a lot more than that for Nintendo to stop making consoles, as for Sony and Microsoft... who knows?

Anyway, roll on March as it's then that the Wii U will really start to sell! :D

People keep mentioning ads on xbox live and I have to say I haven't found them to be a problem. They're all out of the way and unobtrusive... but then I only use it to play my games and music. I go to the games tab or the music tab and I never see or accidentally click on any ads =\

I guess if you use all the entertainment features you're gonna come across some ads but then the ads are aimed at exactly those people...

People keep mentioning ads on xbox live and I have to say I haven't found them to be a problem. They're all out of the way and unobtrusive... but then I only use it to play my games and music. I go to the games tab or the music tab and I never see or accidentally click on any ads =\

It's the principle man. They could have used those advertisements as a means to fund Xbox Live Silver memberships the ability to play games online, but no, every one gets shafted with it and still stuck with the stone age idea that you must pay to play a game online that's hosted peer 2 peer rather than on servers.

There's only one reason they keep it like this, and it's because they know the overall level of quality offered by Gold memberships wouldn't be appealing to people if they did the right thing by offering multiplayer to every body.

I'd just like to say that although Microsoft have been doing a lot of things wrong with the Xbox recently there are still a couple of points the other two companies could do with following.

1. Multiple User Sign-In - So that playing local co-op would be able to store stats/achievements against each player.
  2. Single User Account - One account to rule them all. Signing in with my Microsoft account for Email, Skype, Xbox Live, Windows, etc. And being able to use that account on multiple Xboxes.
  3. Cross game voice chat.