NEurope
Kaepora_Gaebora

Mario Golf World Tour

*sigh* Nintendamned if they do, damned if they don't... :indeed:

...I don't know what to say, on the one hand it is DLC which is something people have been asking for, if it's not on the card then I don't see the harm. ::shrug:

On the other hand, I prefer to have all of the game on the card/disc on day 1 but I think that further down the line DLC can be good, in the cases of Super Smash Bros and Mario Kart 8 I think it could extend the life of the games greatly providing it's implemented in a non game-breaking way; so in those respects they would have had to prepare that kind of DLC in advance. :blank:

For instance, Super Smasn Bros comes out with all the characters that have been announced so far, then 3 months down the line we get a Nintendo Direct saying that 'Due to popular demand we are adding new character to the game... new challenger Lloyd from Tales of Symphonia arrives and will be available as DLC for £2.99 on November 26th 2014' but in order to have that DLC ready they would have effectively had that character in the game since around 'launch' time but due to extended testing etc more time was needed so DLC.

I can see the pros/cons but this is going to be a tricky situation to start with but the future could be quite hopeful, just so long as it doesn't turn into 'day 1 pre-order bonus, Tanooki suit for all Mario characters in Smash Bros' type scenario. :shakehead

Fierce Deity Link costume however 3 months down the line for £0.99 however, although I'd hate to admit it, would probably buy... but I'd still feel like hmm that really should have been in the game. :(

We'll see what E3 brings... : peace:

It's also worth noting that this game is being sold for less than the standard MRSP and is substantial, so it really is extra.

I'm okay with DLC for this. Hopefully we'll get some for Mario Kart as well. Day one, whenever.

UK press release came

22nd April 2014 – Nintendo is offering players the opportunity to nearly double the amount of content they can play in Mario Golf: World Tour, which launches on 2nd May for the Nintendo 3DS family of systems.

With 10 courses and 126 holes, an amount equivalent to previous titles in the franchise, extensive multiplayer modes as well as regional and worldwide tournaments, the main game offers plenty of content for golf fans already. But players who can’t get enough golf and want to expand their experience can purchase up to a total of 108 new downloadable holes and additional Mushroom Kingdom golfers to open up further challenging courses for players to test their skills on and enjoy*.

The downloadable content for the game will be released in three separate packs: the Mushroom Pack launching on 2nd May, the Flower Pack launching later in May and the Star Pack launching in June. Each pack includes two new 18-hole courses and a new playable character. Players will receive Toadette with the Mushroom Pack, Nabbit with the Flower Pack and Rosalina with the Star Pack.

Each pack will be available for £5.39 from Toad’s Booth, which can be found in the main menu of the game. Mario Golf: World Tour owners who know they want to buy all three add-on packs can buy a Three-Pack Set at a discounted rate of £10.79 starting 2nd May**. Three-Pack Set holders will get access to each new pack as it becomes available, and will receive a special bonus of Gold Mario as a playable character at the time of purchase. Gold Mario has a special Golden Flower shot that gains coins for every yard it travels. For those who purchase the packs individually, Gold Mario will also be available once all packs have been released.

Nintendo will also offer Trial Tournaments for consumers interested in trying out a sample of the downloadable courses before deciding to purchase. Players who own the game and download the Free-Trial Course Pack will be able to participate in these online tournaments.

** Three-Pack Set launch offer ends 31st May (23:59 local time). After this time, the Three-Pack Set will be priced at £13.49.

We get a discount! Now that's doing it right

It's also worth noting that this game is being sold for less than the standard MRSP and is substantial, so it really is extra.

It's the same price as Kirby. That must be a budget release as well, unless the 3DS game prices have finally dropped.

Not really got an issue with it. It was only a matter of time before Nintendo realised they were leaving money on the table. More important is any such DLC/season pass offers real value and plenty content. By the sound of it this does.

Day one DLC is stupid. Season pass, don't really see a problem. Generally I think Season Passes make a lot of sense for online heavy games because it ensures there's a healthy community around every bit of DLC.

It's a surprise Nintendo took so long to implement this kind of thing. What took them so long?

Well that sucks, especially considering it doesn't seem Mario Golf has a reduced retail price in Australia (Last time I check it's rrp is $60 AUD, which is what most 3DS games cost at release). I don't mind them doing this, considering it basically increases the longevity of the game but conversely it does feel like they are putting a significant part of the game behind a paywall as the DLC basically doubles the amount of courses.

In my opinion this is a lot different to the Fire Emblem dlc, which was mainly fan service orientated and could be missed with no consequence, while in any game like Mario Golf it's the different courses that makes the game more interesting as each course generally provides a different challenge.

10 course!? Holy shit! That's not "comparable" to past games, that's WAAAYYY more! (the console MG games have always had 6 full 18 hole courses and the handheld ones had 5 - this is DOUBLE the past handheld MG games even without the DLC!)

That's nuts! :o

I wonder if this is why the game got delayed last year, so they could prepare this DLC in time for around the game's launch? (Especially after all the complaints about MTOpen "lacking" in content). This seems like total overkill - MGWT will end up with almost as many full size courses as the rest of the entire series combined! :o

I'm very uncomfortable with the idea of Nintendo doing Day-1 DLC, but I think that the delay has something to do with it here. That is an extraordinary amount of content for a Mario Golf game, even without the DLC! Something weird happened here for sure and I bet that it comes down to that last minute delay last year...

Perhaps with how long the game has been in development for and how much they would've spent making this much content, they felt that they couldn't justify selling it merely at the normal price and are doing this to skim some more off the top...

Edited by Dcubed

It's 10 courses but only 120 odd holes... So that's not 10 full course. I reckon it's including the mini game courses, which is fine. But wouldn't surprise me if it was 6 full normal courses.

If they announced this for releasing in June it'd be much better I guess. June July August dlc. Day 1 is a little weird, but I don't care too much.

It's 10 courses but only 120 odd holes... So that's not 10 full course. I reckon it's including the mini game courses, which is fine. But wouldn't surprise me if it was 6 full normal courses.

If they announced this for releasing in June it'd be much better I guess. June July August dlc. Day 1 is a little weird, but I don't care too much.

Yeah I just noticed that (read the PR in a hurry earlier on - not much time free), but that's still substantially more holes than in any previous Mario Golf game...

... which begs the question... Why start doing day-1 DLC for this game in particular? This game is certainly NOT content starved, not in the slightest!

Is it down to the delay? Or are they just using this as a way of getting people used to the idea of having content ripped out of their games and sold seperately? ("Look! Even with day-1 DLC, you're still getting a "complete" game! Look! It still has more content than any previous MG game even without any DLC - your future games won't suffer for it!")

Yeah, it seems a bit weird to launch the DLC immediately. Still, good to hear the game has enough content on its own...

If Mario kart 8 wasn't coming out at the end of May then I would probably have bought the season pass for the DLC, however when MK8 drops I'll probably stop playing Mario Golf online.

struggling to see what nintendo hav done wrong here. I will be buying the season pass day 1.

Do people still live in these fantasy land where Nintendo are not like other publishers and wont charge for DLC etc etc.

struggling to see what nintendo hav done wrong here. I will be buying the season pass day 1.

Do people still live in these fantasy land where Nintendo are not like other publishers and wont charge for DLC etc etc.

It's not that the idea of a season pass is bad per-say (even though this isn't actually a "Season Pass" in terms of the usual VG industry sense since they're completely upfront about what you're getting for the money, unlike actual Season Passes where you're paying for the promise of unknown future content - it's actually a golfing term for a clubhouse membership that has been used rather regrettably for the US version; hence why the EU version rightly calls it the "Three Pack Set" instead) but rather it's the day 1 DLC that bothers me...

It goes against what Iwata was saying that he wanted to do with DLC... Typically Nintendo designs their DLC after their games have shipped in accordance with fan feedback. Here though, it's clear that this DLC content had been ripped out of the game to be sold seperately because we're seeing 2 whole 18 hole courses being offered on day 1...

Now granted, they're offering far more content in World Tour than in any previous Mario Golf game (to the point where I would actually think that Nintendo would be stupid for throwing in that much content into just one game...), even without the DLC, but rather it's the principle and the fear that it may be a slippery slope.

I think that the content on offer does look quality (and quite frankly, in of itself is an insane bargain. It's basically an entire sequel's worth of content for less than half the price of the main game, even ignoring the early purchase discount!) and I'm glad to see that they're accommodating people who choose not to buy the DLC when it comes to online tournaments, but I feel uncomfortable with the idea of Nintendo dabbling in the art of ripping content out of their games to be sold as DLC. I don't want to see them compromise their games...

Edited by Dcubed

It's not that the idea of a season pass is bad per-say (even though this isn't actually a "Season Pass" in terms of the usual VG industry sense since they're completely upfront about what you're getting for the money, unlike actual Season Passes where you're paying for the promise of unknown future content - it's actually a golfing term for a clubhouse membership that has been used rather regrettably for the US version; hence why the EU version rightly calls it the "Three Pack Set" instead) but rather it's the day 1 DLC that bothers me...

It goes against what Iwata was saying that he wanted to do with DLC... Typically Nintendo designs their DLC after their games have shipped in accordance with fan feedback. Here though, it's clear that this DLC content had been ripped out of the game to be sold seperately because we're seeing 2 whole 18 hole courses being offered on day 1...

Now granted, they're offering far more content in World Tour than in any previous Mario Golf game (to the point where I would actually think that Nintendo would be stupid for throwing in that much content into just one game...), even without the DLC, but rather it's the principle and the fear that it may be a slippery slope.

I think that the content on offer does look quality (and quite frankly, in of itself is an insane bargain. It's basically an entire sequel's worth of content for less than half the price of the main game, even ignoring the early purchase discount!) and I'm glad to see that they're accommodating people who choose not to buy the DLC when it comes to online tournaments, but I feel uncomfortable with the idea of Nintendo dabbling in the art of ripping content out of their games to be sold as DLC. I don't want to see them compromise their games...

Day 1 DLC has existed on Nintendo properties before. Both Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity and Fire Emblem Awakening both had it.

I do agree though, this is the one issue I have it. However, I don't believe this content has been ripped from the game. Don't forget that even though it's day 1, the game would have been sent to testing back in January and marked as complete in March. It's fully feasible for two 18 hole courses to be designed and ready by launch, after work beginning when the game was sent for testing.

Day 1 DLC has existed on Nintendo properties before. Both Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity and Fire Emblem Awakening both had it.

I do agree though, this is the one issue I have it. However, I don't believe this content has been ripped from the game. Don't forget that even though it's day 1, the game would have been sent to testing back in January and marked as complete in March. It's fully feasible for two 18 hole courses to be designed and ready by launch, after work beginning when the game was sent for testing.

That was different then. Because they were late localisations, the DLC had already been made by then and they weren't going to re-program the games to incorporate the DLC into them (which would delay the games' releases and take away a revenue stream while also costing more for them to make - it would simply have made no sense to do so).

This time however, they could've easily have incorporated the DLC into the base game. Instead they choose to hold it back to sell it separately...

That was different then. Because they were late localisations, the DLC had already been made by then and they weren't going to re-program the games to incorporate the DLC into them (which would delay the games' releases and take away a revenue stream while also costing more for them to make - it would simply have made no sense to do so).

This time however, they could've easily have incorporated the DLC into the base game. Instead they choose to hold it back to sell it separately...

Not entirely true.

Talking japan side

Fire Emblem Awakening:

Jp. Release: April 19th 2012

First DLC pack - Xenologue: Champions of Yore 1: April 19th 2012 (and more came weekly)

Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity

Jp. Release: November 23rd 2012

First DLC packs, all November 23rd 2012

PokéForest, Ivy Park, Scalchop Beach, Pika Land, Mt. Travail, Skill Treasury (next pack came two weeks later)

Not entirely true.

Talking japan side

Fire Emblem Awakening:

Jp. Release: April 19th 2012

First DLC pack - Xenologue: Champions of Yore 1: April 19th 2012 (and more came weekly)

Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity

Jp. Release: November 23rd 2012

First DLC packs, all November 23rd 2012

PokéForest, Ivy Park, Scalchop Beach, Pika Land, Mt. Travail, Skill Treasury (next pack came two weeks later)

Huh. I stand corrected obviously. Didn't think to check the Japanese date...

Also these new courses for MGWT are all remakes of the courses from the N64 game apparently (albiet with different names and visual styling), so it's not that these would've been in the main game anyway since they've never done "retro" courses in a Mario Golf game before...

I guess it really isn't any different, apart from the sheer amount of content on offer here...

Played some of the demo, reminds me of the Gamecube version. Which of course, I spent quite a few hours playing. Controls seem refined, and so far it does seem better than Tennis.