NEurope
Mokong

Wrestling to be dropped from 2020 Summer Olympics

Did anyone actually watch the Wrestling during the London games? I'm willing to bet the WWE thread got more posts than the wrestling one.

This is why it was removed, it was the lowest supported sport, both financially and in viewership.

Also, this talk of 'Olympic sports' is bollocks. Any sport where an olympic medal is decided is worthy, regardless if it fits the tradition of the Olympics. Why shouldn't golfers be able to compete for an Olympic medal? just because they have a successful tour that goes on out with the games. More popular sports shouldn't be penalised because of other minority sports. Don't see many people debating the place of cycling in the games (Something that coincidentally we're very good at), despite it's very popular profile out side of Olympic competition.

It's easy to say it's all motivated by money but these events aren't cheap to put on and the less money taken in by organisations like the IOC, the less money is available to help these so called minority sports. It's never a black and white as people like to see it as.

Did anyone actually watch the Wrestling during the London games? I'm willing to bet the WWE thread got more posts than the wrestling one.

I watched a bit of it.

I appreciate it isn't a massively popular sport, but it would be a shame if Olympic sports are dictated by ratings. The IOC would deluded to think Women's Beach Volleyball was being watched because of the sport volleyball itself. If the value of a sport was based on ratings then bikini baby oil wrestling would be probably an Olympic sport.

I heard a lot of people saying they watched a lot of the newer and obscure sports at last years Olympics, but I think that was mostly due to the curiosity factor, not that those sports were necessarily any good. In that regard traditional sports such as wrestling are always at a disadvantage due to being around so long.

Personally I wouldn't have any ball sports in the Olympics, especially when the Olympics aren't even the most prestigious prize in that sport. To me an Olympic sport should be either a test/measue of human ability such as weightlifting, or a practical skill such as a martial art.

However if we are including popular ball sports I think Rugby deserves to be in there, and I think 7s is a good practical way to include Rugby, without compromising the prestige of the Rugby Union World Cup. And if we must get rid of wrestling then I'd at least like it to be replaced by another contact sport such as rugby rather than golf.

Also, this talk of 'Olympic sports' is bollocks. Any sport where an olympic medal is decided is worthy, regardless if it fits the tradition of the Olympics.

I think that's fair point, some people have a an idea of what the olympics means to them, for me I see it more of a showcase of the best athletes, the fastest, the strongest etc, where as some people see it a collection of "games" as entertainment.

Ideally I suppose the Olympics should be bit of both, but to me removing wrestling and adding golf leans more towards the Olympics as entertainment. I appreciate golf is a highly skilled game, but something such as wrestling is a mix of skill and a high level physical fitness, which makes it more worthy of inclusion in my opinion.

I watched a bit of it.

I appreciate it isn't a massively popular sport, but it would be a shame if Olympic sports are dictated by ratings. The IOC would deluded to think Women's Beach Volleyball was being watched because of the sport volleyball itself. If the value of a sport was based on ratings then bikini baby oil wrestling would be probably an Olympic sport.

I heard a lot of people saying they watched a lot of the newer and obscure sports at last years Olympics, but I think that was mostly due to the curiosity factor, not that those sports were necessarily any good. In that regard traditional sports such as wrestling are always at a disadvantage due to being around so long.

Personally I wouldn't have any ball sports in the Olympics, especially when the Olympics aren't even the most prestigious prize in that sport. To me an Olympic sport should be either a test/measue of human ability such as weightlifting, or a practical skill such as a martial art.

However if we are including popular ball sports I think Rugby deserves to be in there, and I think 7s is a good practical way to include Rugby, without compromising the prestige of the Rugby Union World Cup. And if we must get rid of wrestling then I'd at least like it to be replaced by another contact sport such as rugby rather than golf.

I think that's fair point, some people have a an idea of what the olympics means to them, for me I see it more of a showcase of the best athletes, the fastest, the strongest etc, where as some people see it a collection of "games" as entertainment.

Ideally I suppose the Olympics should be bit of both, but to me removing wrestling and adding golf leans more towards the Olympics as entertainment. I appreciate golf is a highly skilled game, but something such as wrestling is a mix of skill and a high level physical fitness, which makes it more worthy of inclusion in my opinion.

Just clear up that wrestling wasn't removed for golf, both sports will be in Rio 2016. Wrestling is being removed from 2020, possibly for Baseball and Softball, Karate, Squash, Roller sports, Sport climbing, Wakeboarding, or Wushu.

I'd also like to say for the record, i'm against the removal of Wrestling from the Olympics.

I actually went to watch Greco Roman wrestling live in London, and it was the best thing I went to see. Amazing atmosphere and good fun was had by all.

But yeah, if viewership is low, it won't be included.

I watched a bit of the wrestling, along with bits and bobs of the weightlifting.

There's so much stuff to watch, and it's hard to watch absolutely everything. Still, certain things should be kept as part of tradition. Is it possible at all to have another new sport alongside Wrestling, or does it have to be a set number of sports?

Sure, and I also watched Judo, Fencing, Weightlifting, Taekwon-Do etc. Would've watched Karate too, was it included.

This is why it was removed, it was the lowest supported sport, both financially and in viewership.

Also, this talk of 'Olympic sports' is bollocks. Any sport where an olympic medal is decided is worthy, regardless if it fits the tradition of the Olympics. Why shouldn't golfers be able to compete for an Olympic medal? just because they have a successful tour that goes on out with the games. More popular sports shouldn't be penalised because of other minority sports. Don't see many people debating the place of cycling in the games (Something that coincidentally we're very good at), despite it's very popular profile out side of Olympic competition.

It's easy to say it's all motivated by money but these events aren't cheap to put on and the less money taken in by organisations like the IOC, the less money is available to help these so called minority sports. It's never a black and white as people like to see it as.

Well, no-one said it was black and white. Still, you're right, it must be a rather difficult balancing act, what to include and what not to. I'm actually quite surprised that wrestling's popularity is so low, I guess people really have moved on to other forms of martial arts then : o Also, how come it's the lowest-viewed of all sports, I mean you'd think there were a lot of other, more suitable candidates for that. Like that "riding in town square with a horse" -thingy, or sailing. Good lord those were boring.

Well, if they really want money and viewers, then why not bring in pro wrestling. That'll get people interested in wrestling for sure ; D Or if thinking seriously, why not American football? It's a great sport, but sadly concentrated mostly in the US...

No one cares about rugby league. Union is far better and more popular.

Oh please.

Union is a boring game. League is much better to watch and play!

International Rugby Union maybe more popular worldwide but a better game, not a chance.

Oh and for the record, here in the UK, Super League has always got better TV ratings the Aviva Premiership! Oh and we also have one of the most high profile UK sports personalities backing our sport.

In Australia, nobody gives a damn about Union..

As for wrestling being dropped from the olympics, its not good for the sport but what is sad is that lots of people who are up in arms about it have been very silent for years.

The sport has been on the decline for years.

As a Japanese pro-wrestling fan I am interested to see how this pans out as with no olympics to aim for it could see less kids taking up wrestling in high schools which is not good.

The ones that do will more likely come into pro-wrestling straight from high school now.

Edited by khilafah

Oh please.

Union is a boring game. League is much better to watch and play!

International Rugby Union maybe more popular worldwide but a better game, not a chance.

Oh and for the record, here in the UK, Super League has always got better TV ratings the Aviva Premiership! Oh and we also have one of the most high profile UK sports personalities backing our sport.

In Australia, nobody gives a damn about Union..

Union is a global sport. League is popular on the east coast of Australia, some parts of NZ (although nowhere near as much as union), and up north in England.

As for which is more exciting, I suspect the fans of each will back their own code, so it's pointless arguing with you on that.

The only decent sport in that list is squash. If anything else wins it'll be a joke.

From a quick skim of this thread squash seems to be very popular. It's missed out on an Olympic place so many times and I've got no idea why.

It's come on leaps and bounds over the last 15 years in terms of how it is for spectators. It's great to watch and the players are seriously fit and seriously talented. The rallies go on for minutes at a time.

From a quick skim of this thread squash seems to be very popular. It's missed out on an Olympic place so many times and I've got no idea why.

It's come on leaps and bounds over the last 15 years in terms of how it is for spectators. It's great to watch and the players are seriously fit and seriously talented. The rallies go on for minutes at a time.

I'd love for it to be included, but I imagine it's one of those sports that is a billion times more fun to play than it is to watch. I might be wrong, though.

I'd love for it to be included, but I imagine it's one of those sports that is a billion times more fun to play than it is to watch. I might be wrong, though.

I remember watching it in (I think) the Commonwealth Games at my grans. Really enjoyed watching it and this was before I started playing it.