NEurope
Wii

The 90′s Arcade Racer

The 90′s Arcade Racer confirmed for Wii U eShop, Nicalis publishing

Following the game’s success on Kickstarter, Nicalis has confirmed plans to bring The 90′s Arcade Racer to Wii U. The company will also handle digital distribution responsibilities for the Windows, OS X, and Linux versions, and newly confirmed iOS and Android releases.

Creator Antonis Pelekanos said:

“There was a simple reason why I started this project, ‘What if a racing game with old school principles was built using today’s technology’. I know we can achieve that goal. Working with Nicalis, we can release on more platforms, including Wii U. Nicalis will also support with Unity programming, physics, tuning and general design and production of the game.”

Pelekanos, also known as Pelikan13, previously hinted at a Wii U version of The 90′s Arcade Racer. It’s nice to know that the game will indeed be heading to the eShop!

Source: Nicalis PR

90ar1.jpg

90ar2.jpg

90ar3.jpg

90ar4.jpg

90ar5.jpg

90ar6.jpg

90ar7.jpg

90ar8.jpg

90ar9.jpg

90ar10.jpg

90ar11.jpg

90ar12.jpg

90ar13.jpg

90ar14.jpg

90ar15.jpg

90ar16.jpg

90ar17.jpg

90ar18.jpg

Edited by Wii

It really does look like a 90's Arcade Racer! The colours are just what you'd expect! :D

Nice one! A lot of racers are taking themselves a bit too seriously at the moment and going all open world; I do like the straightforward just choose a track and race setup!

---

@Wii just so you know for future you've added the Wii U logo to you post instead of the thread itself)

It really does look like a 90's Arcade Racer! The colours are just what you'd expect! :D

Nice one! A lot of racers are taking themselves a bit too seriously at the moment and going all open world; I do like the straightforward just choose a track and race setup!

---

@Wii just so you know for future you've added the Wii U logo to you post instead of the thread itself)

Yes I seen that but I couldn't change it. Don't know how.

YAY! It's actually being made and it's even coming to Wii U...

Nicalis

...Oh. Never mind :(

This game seems completely brilliant!

A few more tracks and cars would be nice, but considering it's supposed to be a 90's inspired game, I think there'll be a bunch of unlockable stuff. Perhaps through cheat codes :grin:

I love how he's chosen to emulate both Daytona USA and Scud Race, two awesome, classic Sega racing games. Hope someone will convince him to have a car that emulates Sega Rally. And of course, in that case, the car he should pick is obviously the awesome little Lancia Delta:

5081826562_279fe5452e_b.jpg

This might be my first non-VC download for a Nintendo system.

A racing game that has colour, wuuuuuuut? : o

Are you serious? Yes, this game is MORE colourful and has more extravagant track decorations than the average racing game. But can you seriously look at Forza 4 and say that it has no colours:

Forza-4-Nissan-370Z-GTR-rear-1024x640.jpg

Or look at Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit:

479509-need-for-speed-hot-pursuit-limited-edition-windows-screenshot.png

I've been following this, I was sold upon viewing the first screenshot...

original.jpg

Glorious :heart:

Day one purchase! :D

I can only see the picture @S\.C\.G posted, for whatever reason, but I now have a sudden urge to get Daytona USA 2001 out for a rolling start :heh:

I can only see the picture @S\.C\.G posted, for whatever reason, but I now have a sudden urge to get Daytona USA 2001 out for a rolling start :heh:

I've changed the images now. The original links have crashed or been removed.

Nice! So its basically Daytona USA, Scud Race and Virtua Racing all in one game? Sign me up for that, id much rather play those than Grand Turismo or Forza any day!

I hope they do homage to Sega Rally's

"GAME OVER YEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAHHHHHH!"

I hope they do homage to Sega Rally's

"GAME OVER YEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAHHHHHH!"

I emailed the developer and while he wants to, he says it'd be too much work to incorporate off road sections in to his levels.

But the game will have some unlockables.

The amount of money Datona, Seaga Rally and Vitua Racing arcades took from me in the 90's is too scary to think about!

Really looking forward to this!

I emailed the developer and while he wants to, he says it'd be too much work to incorporate off road sections in to his levels.

But the game will have some unlockables.

I was actually referring to this popular larf

Oh man, I can't wait for this. The first thing that came to mind was...

ROLLING STAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRT!

Developer interview: talks inspiration; Kickstarter; release; Unity Engine development; platforms.

Hello everyone,

it's been a while since my last update so apologies for that, rest assured development is moving ahead smoothly and on schedule.

For the time being I wanted to share with you a few screenshots of the new track and cars.

I'm also happy to say that we have the game up and running on WiiU at 60 fps!

airport02.png

screen13tn.jpg

airport03.png

airport01.png

airport04.png

Thank you :)

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/896834116/the-90s-arcade-racer/posts/494496

First I'm aware of this.

Ah, I see you beat me to it :)

Hope this turns out well! I love these sort of bright arcade racers.

And exactly seconding this. It looks brilliant, obv not enough to totally sell it - but I love the vibrancy.

Id forgotten all about this, glad to see they are making progress, this game looks great and 60 fps is fantastic! I only wish i had noticed the kickstarter when it was live, how cool would it have been to be one of the guys at the side of the track?!

looks like a hybrid of daytona/sega rally/virtua racing which if done right and with online multiplayer could be epic. I have very fond memories of 8 player Daytona in the arcades and the thought of 16 player online is very enticing.