NEurope
Fierce_LiNk

Horsemeat

Surprised there wasn't a thread about this. I'mma get in there naw.

Apparently tests are now showing that Tesco Everyday Value Spaghetti Bolognese contains 60% horsemeat. Seems like everyone is in on it.

Anyone ever tasted eet?

No thank you. May be eaten and desired elsewhere but I don't care. Bugs, cats, dogs and horses are not food.

Surprised there wasn't a thread about this. I'mma get in there naw.

Apparently tests are now showing that Tesco Everyday Value Spaghetti Bolognese contains 60% horsemeat. Seems like everyone is in on it.

Anyone ever tasted eet?

Well I've had various Tesco, Asda burgers, lasagne etc. so I'll go out on a limb and say it tastes good

The only issue I have is that the food contains things which aren't listed. People should have a choice in what they eat but personally I don't think I'd be fussed if I found out I'd eaten horse meat. If there was a choice between horse burgers and beef burgers... I think I'd be curious enough to try the horse burger and I'd have to see what I liked best. There's likely not that much difference anyway and it's not like you're getting prime meat in a burger.

I do like horses more than I like cows but food is food :p

I would care, but...I don't. The only thing I see as an issue(and I think most others too) is that it's been mis-sold as beef, which yes is a bit bad. Honestly though, if I've eaten it it's tasted good enough and so I don't really care - sure I've had much worse in a kebab tbh. I don't even have any real problem with eating horse, or at least no more than with eating any other animal.

The only issue I have is that the food contains things which aren't listed. People should have a choice in what they eat but personally I don't think I'd be fussed if I found out I'd eaten horse meat. If there was a choice between horse burgers and beef burgers... I think I'd be curious enough to try the horse burger and I'd have to see what I liked best. There's likely not that much difference anyway and it's not like you're getting prime meat in a burger.

Although now I wouldn't trust that horse burgers actually were horse burgers! What if there's beef in them!

Why does it make a difference? If it's on my plate and looks like meat then I'll eat it.

People typically have a view that it's wrong to eat horse because they have often been viewed as domesticated, majestic creatures and people don't tend to like to eat domesticatable animals

That's my view on it. You should know what you're eating.

Reminds me of Demolition Man when Stallone eats Ratburgers. Can't even contemplate that idea.

You'll all be crying out for a Rodeo burger in 20 years time because the number of human rodents on the planet and the draughts in America forcing the price of cattle feed up through the roof, a sweaty McD's burger will cost a fiver.

Obvioulsy I wouldn't choose to eat horse; what has happened is wrong and needs getting to the bottom of, but if I have eaten horse unawares, I can't say I'd be arsed because it's not like it's poison, is it.

Edited by madeinbeats

I mostly just find it kind of amusing to be honest - it's only a problem if it's actively bad for you in some way really, although of course one would hope that descriptions of food are accurate. :heh:

So yes, I could well have eaten horse accidentally (at least, if it's found in Sainsbury's lasagne too), but this doesn't really bother me. On a related note, apparently a lot of the burgers in cheap burger vans are bulked up with (completely safe) beef heart apparently - does this bother anyone? I remember seeing a program trying to expose this shocking fact, and wondering what all the fuss was supposed to be about.

I literally just bought a tesco value spag bol. My mum just came in and told me "... it's got horsemeat in it!!" I just said "well it cost me 80p so I'm still bloody eating it."

There are a lot of beefburger offers on at the moment, which is the good news that has come out of this. I really just don't care.

I'm with view The Peeps and Flink on this. I like to know what goes into my food before I eat it.

If I had eaten horse I can't say I'd cry about it. I usually go out of my way to try interesting meats anyway, I just like to know what they are before I stick it down my throat.

As for buying it, I wouldn't go as far as saying I'm a meat connoisseur, but I do tend to buy the better stuff from my local butchers rather than a supermarket. So chances are I've not actually eaten it anyway.

The best of it is, I imagine most of this horse meat will have had a good organic life - bet the supermarkets are kicking themselves, could have charged double.

Can't believe how it's popping up everywhere. That shit neigh.

Sorry.

Anyway. I'm safe, not eaten meat in 12 years :heh:

The mislabelling is the only actual problem here. If people are genuinely complaining about horse meat being eaten when they're perfectly fine with other types of meat being eaten, they're hypocritical fools. Don't get me wrong, it's fine if someone personally chooses not to eat a certain type of meat for whatever reason, but it truly annoys me when people are of the opinion that "you can't eat horse meat!" or whatever animal they're in love with. Of course we can; it's morally no different than eating a cow or any other type of animal, so if you're for that, you can't be against eating horses (except as a personal choice, of course). Hell, you know how much I adore cats, but I wouldn't have a problem with eating cat meat.

Reminds me of Demolition Man when Stallone eats Ratburgers. Can't even contemplate that idea.

Really? I'd like to eat rat.

Number 1 on my list is snake. Number 2 is elephant.

Dog and dolphin are up there as well.

Im typically not bothered. 80p for a lasagne what do you expect in it? Beef?

My one worry is that apparently a horse steroid that can be harmful to humans is rumoured to have been found in some samples. On my phone now so can't link though. Other than that once there's no safety issue I don't really mind, though the labelling is an issue.

Anyway. I'm safe, not eaten meat in 12 years :heh:

That you know of......

Jayseven thought he'd not eaten horse in 12 years before today too....

What's to stop them putting horse in mushrooms huh?! HUH?!

Does anyone know what the actual figures are? I see "up to 100%", "up to 60%", but how many were tested before that result? Do one in 10 packs contain horse meat or one in every 1000?

Not sure if cereal.

Can't stand the sight of rats, they are my one real weakness (after coughing and blowing my nose at the same time). I can't stomach the idea of eating one.

What's to stop them putting horse in mushrooms huh?! HUH?!

A horse on mushrooms? Now that is something I want to see.

Not sure if cereal.

Deadly cereal. You could say, a cereal killer.

Seriously though, it's meat. Why wouldn't you want to try it?

Try eating Hovis. There was a report about a squished rat being at the bottom of a loaf once

It may have been a house

Try eating Hovis. There was a report about a squished rat being at the bottom of a loaf once

It may have been a house

Wait, what? There was a house squished at the bottom of a loaf of Hovis?