N-Europe

Dell is back on my good list

Marshmellow

Yeah Dell are a pretty sweet company. You have to pay that little bit extra though, as it really does cover their outstanding warranty which has a rapid turnaround time on getting your product fixed or replaced.

Also, if you're going to be buying anything from there, try and purchase it as you're a small business, because Dells support centre for "home" customers is based in Asia, while their Business system support centres are based regionally.

And yes, their 24" and 30" widescreen monitors really do kick arse, and like you said Marshmellow, they include the memory card readers on the sides and plus additional USB ports (not sure if it's one extra or two).

If I had the cash then I really wouldn't mind one of their 24" screens.............but in life, other things really have to come first. :indeed:

Hopefully though I'll be able to get myself a Dual Core Inspiron before I go uni next October if all goes well.

And yes, their 24" and 30" widescreen monitors really do kick arse, and like you said Marshmellow, they include the memory card readers on the sides and plus additional USB ports (not sure if it's one extra or two).

theres actually 4 usb :wink: and i got a quick question about monitors. Well ive made up my mind imma get the 30incher but yah im a bit short- actually $1600- so should i get a small 15in flat panel monitor because i need a new monitor real bad, and i wont have $1600 for a while. So i could spend like $100-$150 on a small dell 15in monitor to tide me over until i get the big beast.

so should i get a small 15in flat panel monitor because i need a new monitor real bad, and i wont have $1600 for a while. So i could spend like $100-$150 on a small dell 15in monitor to tide me over until i get the big beast.

Well that would depend on how long after you buy this 15" that you'll buy the 30"? And whether you'll be using that 15" monitor again after you buy the bigger one.

If you're not going to have a use for the 15" once you get the 30", then I would say save your cash and find a cheap 17" CRT to tide you over until you pick up the more expensive hardware.

And you've got far to much cash btw.

Well that would depend on how long after you buy this 15" that you'll buy the 30"? And whether you'll be using that 15" monitor again after you buy the bigger one.

If you're not going to have a use for the 15" once you get the 30", then I would say save your cash and find a cheap 17" CRT to tide you over until you pick up the more expensive hardware.

And you've got far to much cash btw.

nah i dont have much cash i just been saving for big computer stuff and now im blowing it. its gonna be at least until you buy ur dual core laptop till i get my 30in monitor and i would be using the 15in monitor after i got the 30in for my linux computer.

alright well beastly monitors require beastly graphic cards. So ATI or nVidia? most of ya going to say nVIdia and im leaning towards nVIdia but does nVidia have a graphic card for 2560x1600 monitors? i know ati has this one http://cgi.ebay.com/ATI-Radeon-X1800XT-512MB-PCIe-PCI-Express-Video-Card_W0QQitemZ8740416778QQcategoryZ40158QQssPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

this card right here is one of the recommended cards for the Dell 30" LCD.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Dell-nVidia-Quadro-FX-3450-256MB-SLI-x16-PCIe-P-N-T9099_W0QQitemZ8747144221QQcategoryZ3762QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

is it any good or is there better?

I can't be bothered to explain the whole deal..........but Quadro's are geared towards OGL graphics applications and DCC, and I'm guessing you want to play games. So you've got no need for this sort of card.

Quadro drivers are written with OGL support in mind, thus it won't come anywhere near as good as a 7800 GTX in games which are mostly based around the DirectX api.

The 7800 GTX is the way to go.......like JonSt said, nothing really beats it.