NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Caris

OK N-E, help me with some I just don't understand.

Right, something has been seriously pissing me off today. I just don't get it and I'm sure I'm missing something really obvious.

I bought some squirty cream from Morrisons, the low fat healthy variety. The reason for this is becuase I thought it was so healthy, I could add it to coffee, fruit salads even cereal. Plus it's lovely.

But after reading the can, I just don't get something. Here's the problem.

It says, for 55ML there is 25 calories in it. So I put a bowl on my rather expensive set of scales, changed the units to ML's and kept the trigger pulled till it said 55ML. I did so, and there was a rather large helping of delicous cream in the bowl. I turned to my mam and said "that has 25 calories in it" and we both just couldn't believe it, far too good to be true.

So I look on the back of the can and it also says per 100g is 223 calories.

So I thought if I change the scales to grams, and squirt 10g in, that should be pretty much the same amount. Give or take a little.

So I do just that, and when the scales it the 10g mark I stopped. Low and behold there is virtually none in the bowl, a tiny portion.

WHAT AM I MISSING?! I just don't get this at all. It's being doing my head in all afternoon and I'm desperate for something I actually enjoy in my diet.

Help meeeeeee.

ml is a measure of physical size, 1ml = 1cm³. Your scales won't be measuring the size of the cream, they'll be measuring the weight, and converting it. Unless you set the density of the cream, then I guess the scales will just be using the density of water (1ml = 1g).

Try squirting 55g in there and see if it's the same size. Or get a measuring jug and fill it with cream to the 55ml mark.

Is it something to do with the squirting of the cream adding air to it, which adds mass to it, so 10g of it dispensed is not very much, where the 55ml is a pure measure of how many calories are in 55ml of it when it is in the can? All to do with volume and density and how your scales are measuring millilitres, I think.

I really do not know.

Fat is good for you, taste good too. Low fat rubbish has to make up for the lack of taste with processed shit that is awful for you.

I'm just wondering how can a set of scales be capable of measuring Mililitres. That's not a measure of weight. Unless it does so for a specific substance (ex.: Water)

ml is a measure of physical size, 1ml = 1cm³. Your scales won't be measuring the size of the cream, they'll be measuring the weight, and converting it. Unless you set the density of the cream, then I guess the scales will just be using the density of water (1ml = 1g).

Try squirting 55g in there and see if it's the same size. Or get a measuring jug and fill it with cream to the 55ml mark.

Ah, of course. I didn't even think of it that way. It all makes sense now.

Cheers.

Fat is good for you, taste good too. Low fat rubbish has to make up for the lack of taste with processed shit that is awful for you.

Not necessarily, they probably just use skimmed milk instead of full fat milk when they make it.

It's because the cream is denser than water to begin with, and then you add air which increases the volume.

The 10g one will be closer to the actual calorific content.

Sweeteners and diet versions of drink are also just as bad for you as the regular ones. The only difference is that a small amount of the "damage" has been transferred from your teeth to your body. And they taste shit.

Sign in to follow this