NEurope
Ashley

Forum Shuffle

Hey everyone,

As you've probably noticed, we've had a move around. Based on extensive (extensive) talks behind the scenes, prompted by discussions forum-wide, we've made some changes. To summarise:

• General Discussion - Tech and Creative have been moved to become sub-forums so it is cleaner. If you go into General you will still see them as forums (as well as the sub-forum links on the home page), complete with last posts etc.

• Nintendo Gaming board - Wii/Wii U and 3/DS merged into one. Took 3/DS threads that were active in 2012 and anything older is archived (see below). Likewise, active Wii Channel topics from 2012 have been moved to here, with older stuff archived.

• Online Gaming - moved from sub-forums and merged together.

• General Gaming - a place to discuss stuff that spans consoles, generations etc or just general gaming-wide topics (such as "post your gaming collections"). It started as the retro board renamed (with threads being moved into there), so there is a lot of retro stuff and this is where retro discussions should now go.

• Archive - read only older forums. This includes High Scores and Import Gaming. Obviously you can still discuss these things, but now in General Gaming.

Will take some getting used to, I'm sure, but the idea is to streamline and tidy up this place. It's grown organically, and we've never really had the chance to sit back and evaluate if things are working.

If you're unsure about where something belongs the mods will be happy to help, or of course move anything if they think it should be.

If there's any threads that have been archived that you think shouldn't be let me know. Please note the mods are currently working their way through the forums and moving some stuff around, please bear with us :)

Also: while moving the threads I forgot to turn off the automatic-PM thing. Sorry! Shorty has deleted all PMs sent during that period (which will be only the automatic ones, as nobody could access the forum to send one), but you may see notifications for unread PMs that don't actually exist. Apologies for that. If you do have a phantom PM please refer to Ike's post.

Sorry for having to turn the forum off for a while for this. Hope I didn't disrupt anyone's Friday afternoon procrastinations, I know how important that is!

Edited by Ashley

you may see notifications for unread PMs that don't actually exist.
Indeed I do, 8 of 'em.

Am I stuck with Your Notifications: 8 forever now then? :blank:

I had to check the "select all" and mark then as read for my unread private messages to disappear.

Will try and see if I can force the forum to re-count notifications/PMs.

I had to check the "select all" and mark then as read for my unread private messages to disappear.
Cheers Ike, that sorted it. icon14.gif

I don't like the new layout. It forces me to do things differently and...

...sorry, that's what people do when Facebook changes isn't it? I guess I was trying to be cool.

I don't like the new layout. It forces me to do things differently and...

...sorry, that's what people do when Facebook changes isn't it? I guess I was trying to be cool.

Cool people don't use Facebook now.

It's all about Menshn.

Oh wait--never mind.

No real experience of it yet, but I approve of this.

OMG I HAVE A PHANTOM PM THIS IS HORRIBLE CHANGE IT BACK NOW

I like the fact that 3DS and Wii U are in one forum now. Less seperation makes for better conversation, less redundancy and better visability for each game :)

Yeah, think I like this format better. Sometimes when I went to make a thread I wasn't sure which forum to put it in since it could be placed in multiple forums so this should be easier.

OH MY GOD EVERYTHING'S DIFFERENT. :cry:

Will we still have double threads for multi-platform releases? I was hoping the shuffle would take care of that.

OH MY GOD EVERYTHING'S DIFFERENT. :cry:

Will we still have double threads for multi-platform releases? I was hoping the shuffle would take care of that.

How multiplatform? Pop it in General gaming maybe? I do wonder how much that forum'll draw, given the Nintendo and Other Consoles forums; just wonder what goes in the 'general' bit.

The idea behind General Gaming Discussion, is to get decent discussion topics going in there that currently find there way into and clutter up current Wii U threads etc... and also for rogue game related threads that end up in General Chat.

Embrace the Discussion!! :D

It also encompasses all Retro gaming like before across all platforms.

How multiplatform? Pop it in General gaming maybe? I do wonder how much that forum'll draw, given the Nintendo and Other Consoles forums; just wonder what goes in the 'general' bit.

'Multi-platform' as in 'games that are released on the Wii U and PC/PS3/360'. Currently (unless this was changed with the shuffle), we get two threads for games that are released on a Nintendo system as well as another system, and it's pretty silly. It just splinters discussion or one thread ends up pretty much dead and is only bumped up when there's a new trailer.

'Multi-platform' as in 'games that are released on the Wii U and PC/PS3/360'. Currently (unless this was changed with the shuffle), we get two threads for games that are released on a Nintendo system as well as another system, and it's pretty silly. It just splinters discussion or one thread ends up pretty much dead and is only bumped up when there's a new trailer.

What would you recommend? Unfortunately there's few options, but I'm seeing it as a non-issue for now because there will be separations in the discussions eg:

1. Wii U has different controls

2. Wii U and Other Consoles users will not be able to arrange online games with each other

3. *whistles*

1. Wii U has different controls

I don't think a single person has discussed the controls in the Wii U threads for Arkham City/Assassin's Creed III/etcetera, and I really don't see how that would be an issue anyway? If I want to complain about how horrible the keyboard and mouse controls are in Assassin's Creed III, I'd hope most people would be smart enough to know that I'm not talking about the Wii U version!

2. Wii U and Other Consoles users will not be able to arrange online games with each other

And PC players can't play with Xbox 360 players and Xbox 360 players can't play with PS3 players... :heh:

Can't argue with this, though!

My suggestions is still to only have a thread in the Wii U subforum when there's a Wii U version, since (ugh) this is a Nintendo forum. If there's no Wii U version announced, start the thread in the Other Consoles subforum and move it later if a Wii U version is announced.

But you're going to do whatever you want, so whatever. :p